1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

nfl2k3 questions

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Aug 26, 2002.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Overall this an a+ game. I have just a few questions. Forgive me for not trying to figure all this stuff out, but I'm just a general player who likes to keep it simple.

How do you get the defense to make sacks on their own? I've gotten one sack in 8 games no matter how many people blitz. I have Kearse and Peppers in a 3-4 so I should be getting some sacks. If I'm playing a decent QB he picks me apart because of this.

I'm playing on the default settings for skill level. Maybe their is a better skill setting to play on?

How do you cover WR's off the screen who you can't even see? I've found coverage to be a little difficult

I play 8 minute qtrs, but all the other teams are scoring like 30-40 points a game. How can I get their simulated scores down to normal?

How do you block kicks? I don't want to block them all, but I would like to challenge them. Seems like most kicks in this game are good.

Thanks a bunch. Is their anything else that will help me. I don't want to cheat, I just want to play at a nice competitive level. Right now I'm 3-6 and I just get run over sometimes.

2. devestata

devestata Member

1. You can't really make them do anything. If you are desperate for a sack then just keep doing blitz plays.

2.The default level is pro. If you go to Difficulty setting in options you can set it on rookie level which is easiest. Or the hardest level All pro.

3.You'll have to change the camera mode. I know it's there somewhere. Just make it a far view mode. That should work. Mostly though, the only time you can't see them is when the receiver runs an out play.

4.I'm not definitely sure, but if you are playing on the default skill level (mentioned above) you should up the level to All- Pro. If it doesn't work then there is no way to do it.

5.It's impossible to block a kick unless you have a seriously fast guy coming off the edge. I remember reading for NFL 2k2 that if you press X and Y buttons repeatedly you could break through. So just press the jump and tackle buttons repeatedly AS SOON AS THE PLAY STARTS.

You may want to start on rookie if you are 3-6, try and master rookie before starting on pro.

Hope this helped you Mr. Slamma. :D

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well, Normally in a 3-4 defense you count on the Linebackers to make all the sacks.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

True dat, but my linebackers aren't doing anything even when they blitz. Is there anyway to get to a 4-3 defense. It seems like I'm stuck with the 3-4 because the Texans use that D.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Here are some more tips :) I found... Maybe stuff you already knew.

HOW DO I AVOID THE DROPPED PASS?

1. Avoid throwing into coverage. Hit a guy who is all alone or can outrun a defender.

2. Give the WR/TEs time to recover before you start the next play.
    Check his stamina bar and let it charge back up before the next snap.

3. The QB should set his feet before throwing.

4. Make sure the QB takes the proper number of drop steps. Here's how you can tell:
    If an offensive play starts with :
    50: the qb will take a 5 to 7 step drop
    90: the qb will take a short 3 step drop (pass the ball quickly).
    100: playaction pass!
    200: the qb will bootleg or rollout.
    example: 90 Y/TE Speed Cross, the qb should take a short 3 step drop and deliver the pass quickly , all the receivers are running short crossing patterns and will be prepared to catch the ball not "drop" it.

5. Take control of the WR and press the "catch" button.

6. Set the catching, coverage, and/or passing sliders 5 notches to the left.

HOW DO I EFFECTIVELY PASS RUSH / GET SACKS?

1. Take control of a DL, immediate charge in to the left or right of the defender and use the special moves repeatedly. Hold L1 or R1 (depending on the direction you want to go) and hold X before the snap. Charge in after the snap and just before you make contact with the OL release X and push one of the other buttons to do a special move.

2. Control a member of the secondary. Hold L1 or R1 (depending on the direction you want your linemen to charge in) while you drop into coverage. Your CPU controlled linemen will use special moves to get to the opposing QB. You may not see this immediately get sacks but you will see improved pressure on the QB.

3. Blitz the QB by controlling an LB. Make sure the DL uses the "FAN" formation and charge in between the DL men using your special moves.

ANY OTHER DEFENSIVE TIPS?

1. Choose the right play. If you do not you will get burned. For example, if you blitz when the CPU has 4 or 5 WRs he will most likely complete the pass.

2. Each QB has a favorite reciever. Double team that player by controlling a DB and helping out the coverage man.

HOW DO YOU GET REALISTIC STATS FOR SIMMED GAMES?

Play on any minute setting you like. When you sim other games, do it with 5 minute quarters. Then change it back to whatever setting you like when you play your games.

WHAT IS UP WITH LAVAR ARRINGTON?

Arrington has a special use deal like Michael Jordan did back in the 90s so they can't use his name. Simply release him to free agency, create him, and put him back on the Redskins.

CAN I EDIT PLAYER ATTRIBUTES?

You can edit everything except for the name, college, and years as a pro. On a related note, the college is randomly selected when you create a player so if you create a real player chances are his college will be incorrect.

Editing Player Ratings, Added by LuZZo
    "I too can edit all of the player attributes (except Overall Rating). For those who are having problems..are you sure you are doing it right? (At first I didn't it's confusing..) Select the player (vertically) you wish to edit..then select the attribute (horizontally)..then click A(Xbox) or X(PSX2)...from there the black bottom line will expand upward listing available options..select "Edit Attributes"..you should be brought to a screen with a keyboard, from there input the numeric value you like."

HOW DO YOU BLOCK A PUNT / FIELD GOAL?

On a punt, move all of your line to the left side. Line your fastest player up on the left side as well and charge in. You will usually go unblocked and can stuff the punt. Don't know about the field goal.

ANY TIPS TO IMPROVE THE RUNNING GAME?

1. Don't use the speed burst immediately. Generally, this causes the defender to do the same thing. Wait for holes to develop and go through them. Your blockers will run the play as diagramed so follow them. Use the speed burst and special moves in the open field.

2. Hold the two shoulder buttons for a shoulder charge as you are about to be tackled. This will get you another couple of yards.

3. As set on the pro defaults, your runner will always be caught before making it to the end zone on any long play. Many people choose to lower the pursuit slider difficulty so only the really fast people (i.e. those with speed and/or acceleration greater than or equal to yours) will catch you.

DO THE ANNOUNCERS SAY THE ROOKIES' NAMES?

No. They will call them by their number. You can, however, edit their names (before you draft them) and the announcers will say it if it is recognized by the database.

WHAT IS THE COACHS GAMEPLAN?

In the franchise mode, you can select what you want to the team to train on during the week for the upcoming game. For example, against the Bengals, where Corey Dillon gets about 80% of the action, I trained almost exclusively for the run. I noticed we did a better job of containing him than when we met them in the pre-season.

WHY USE DEFENSIVE MATCHUPS?

The computer will default the defenders who cover the wide receivers. If your guys are consistently getting burned, use this option to get better coverage.

CAN I CHANGE THE SPECIAL TEAMS MEMBERS?

You can only change these depth charts during a game, not in the coach's office. Any changes are for that game only and will default to the computer settings for the next game.

HOW ARE THE CREATED TEAMS?

This is a weak option in this game. There are about 8-10 logos which you can select. The uniform will be randomly generated and the team will randomly be assigned a stadium. You type in a city and name for the team but the annnouncers will not say them. It will get old really quick when you hear "Welcome to the stadium where Dallas is taking on the home team".

CAN YOU EDIT THE HISTORIC TEAMS?

No. The teams are set and nothing (rosters, names, or numbers) can be edited.

ARE THERE ANY MONEY PLAYS?

No. Are there plays that certain teams can use in certain situations for better results that other plays? Yes. But the idea of one money play that will take you all the way to the endzone isn't in there. In fact, the AI adjusts to your style and compensates. If you don't change plays, mix up the pass/run, etc. you will lose. There is one money play in the coach's room though. If you sign free agents you can trade them for players on the other teams. There is no penalty for signing them and trading them. You can easily stack your team and get all 1st round picks. The trade logic is pretty weak that way-sort of like All Star Baseball 2003 when everyone got Johnson, Dunn, Puhjols, etc through the free agent shuffle.

WHO ARE THE ANNOUNCERS?

The announcers are voice actors who play the parts of sportscasters. Terry McGovern plays "Dan Stevens", Jay Styne plays "Peter O'Keefe" and Elaine Clark plays Michelle Westphal.

SHOULD I GET THIS GAME OR MADDEN 2003?

This is one of the most asked questions in the football gaming community. My answer is you have to decide. What is a big deal to some people is not to others. What is a must have for me may not be for you. I will say Madden has been around for about a decade and this is only the fourth installment of NFL 2K. With that in mind, Madden will be more detailed-little things like having an injured reserve or the ability to edit depth charts for 3d down backs. However, for a fourth year installment, NFK 2K3 is doing great. It is a serious threat to Madden and a solid title. I personally love both titles. I can say that no amount of discussion on line has ever convinced me which game to play as much as playing it myself.

WHO WILL WIN THE SUPERBOWL THIS YEAR?

Easy. My San Diego Chargers. :)

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Damn. I knew I kept getting caught at the goal line. I was like, WTF!