1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We're keeping him.

2. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Anyone see that Yoyo Tweeted to KLow the vid.

3. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

I hope Kyle Lowry stays in Houston for quite some time, love his game.

4. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

If we do trade, AB. I hope we can get back a point guard because I just don't believe Lowry could handle the job for 36 minutes every night.

And while it is true that he plays the role of a shooting guard more, he's perfectly fine logging 36 minutes at the PG spot should Lowry have to go (which I hope doesn't happen). Brooks has the ability to bring the ball up the court like a point guard, but just doesn't have the court vision to run an offense like Nash or Paul or Williams. But with Adelman's offense, that's ok.

5. VBG

VBG Member

AB has a much higher stock than Kyle Lowry because Lowry's true shooting is pretty bad.

Lowry's impact is easier to see on some advanced stats.

6. Houston_Rockets

The more important stat for a PG, Assist per TO, AB is as bad as any PG in this category

Just remember what Colison, the rookie NO PG did to him, just... unfair

AB is a nice player, but in the Wild Wild west at PG??? He just doesn't have body to defend guys like DWilliams, for example

We will trade AB but ofcourse we will bring a true PG for the starting job, as I said, Lowry is crtical for our second unit

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

AB has a different role than Collison, most knowledgeable fans understand that.

DD

8. Houston_Rockets

Thanks

Does AB role include defending???

9. DaDakota

He gives as good as he gets, sometimes the other guy gets the best of him, sometimes AB gets the best.

Tell ya what though, if you start Lowry, the other guy gets the best all the time.

DD = knowledgeable fan

10. M.ANGEL4

M.ANGEL4 Member

Aaron's defense is horrible and it really got exposed the time lowry was injured.

11. DaDakota

The entire team's defense went down when anyone was injured, Shane, Trevor, Kyle......

This team's margin for error was very thin they needed everyone to win.

AB's 3pt % was higher than Kyle Lowry's overall FG%.....if Kyle started, teams would force him to shoot, and we have seen that play before, it stars Raferesque like numbers.

DD

12. Houston_Rockets

Did i say start Lowry???

If AB gets traded don't you think that DM will look for a starting PG???

You are a "knowledgeable fan", only laking reading skills

Tell me west PG were AB got the best of...

He is a scoring machine, but no court vision, and not enought body to play defense, if you don't think we need improvment in our starting PG position, then you are not a "knowledgeable fan"

I am not hating, he just does not have enougth to compete in the Wild Wild west, in my unknowledgeable opinion

13. DaDakota

AB has very good court vision, he makes some nice passes to cutters, alley oops to Budinger, and really nice wrap around passes.

He may not have as good a court vision and Kyle, but it is not far below that.

Sorry about misunderstanding your point about getting a starting PG.

But to me, we have a starting PG, one who is top 20 in scoring in the NBA, not college, not the Euroleague, but the NBA.

You don't get rid of those for some mythical misguided old school thinking that a PG's job is to pass the ball.

In today's NBA, the PG needs to be a scoring threat......with the new rules favoring the perimeter players, that is what you need.

AB is a top 10 PG in the league and only started one year....his defense is not GREAT, but it is not all that terrible either, and once we get a guy to protect the paint, his D will improve a lot because of that as well.

DD

14. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I kinda have to agree with Houston_Rockets a lil bit.

AB just doesn't do it for me as a 'true' PG. I mean a guy that controls the offense, sets up plays and what not. He is just a shooter/scorer. Good one mind you, but a scorer nonetheless (he doesn't get to the FT line by using his speed to draw fouls). If we bring in a guy like Bosh and Yao comes back (and we keep Martin), how many shots does AB get with those 3 on the floor? Or does he take away shots from them? I think a set up guy like Lowry works better with that unit.

AB had to shoot a lot this year cause we didn't have anything else. So his skill set worked. Now that we will add real focal points of the offense (in the paint) how affective will he be as a PG? Thoughts?

15. DaDakota

Please tell me who the "True" PG was on the Lakers last year, or on the Spurs in their 3 or 4 championships?

There is more than one way to skin a cat, it is team dynamics which are more important that "true PG" ness.....

Lots of true PGs never won a ring.......

DD

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This true PG crap gets tiring quick. Look at the past champions of this decade and tell me how many had a "true PG".

The only one I see is Rajon Rondo. Tony Parker and Chauncey Billups are scoring PG's, who with experience learned how to be better leaders out there (just like Brooks will learn). Also, I wouldn't call Derek Fisher a true PG at all. Jason Williams hardly controlled the ball since Wade had it most of the time.

I think Brooks is great for us and people really need to stop looking at all the negatives he brings and look at the positives, because the positives do outweigh the negatives.

17. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

:rolleyes:

18. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Whoa whoa DaDa and Pigto.... Don't hurt me now. I like AB, I really do. Was just trying to make conversation and throw some thigns out there.

Fisher is not what he once was, but he does control the offense for LA. With age, his driving ability has decreased so now he is a spot up 3 point shooter. So i get your point about 'true' PG.

My 'small' gripes about AB is I don't think he uses his speed to set up other players or get to the FT line as much as he should (maybe this takes more time for him to learn). This year it seemed like his playmaking was subpar. Look at the games where his shot was off and look at what else he was able to contribute... not much. No steals, no assists.... That is what I mean. If he was gettig to the FT line drawing fouls I think that would be great.

Just to clarify, I am not saying get rid of him. I just wanted to point out those few things about his game that I noticed this past season. I like both he and Kyle and I hope we keep them both.

19. ImG

ImG Member

fisher never controlled the game, its phil jackson triangle offense that controlled their tempo. never needed a "true point guard" on the bulls or lakers championship team.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

My main concern with Lowry is that he hasn't shown any improvement in that jumper. He does everything else decently.

This true PG argument is garbage. The role your PG needs to play depends entirely on the rest of the team and the system. Would AB look good on the Lakers? Would Lowry look good on the Cavs? They'd work because they're good players, but it's not the best fit for either of them.

Let's see what our team looks like next year before we talk about what PG we need.