1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Will ............

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, May 31, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Well, this is a bad day for me.

Why? Because this post has actually gotten me a little rattled.

In the 3 years I have been working at my present company, I have started to make contacts in the sports industry. Many of the NBA players and the NBA itself runs their advertising through us. As a matter of fact, the big boy himself, MJ, has appeared in our building in 1995 to do a commercial for The United Negro College Fund. I attend many parties and make alot of phone calls. One of the first things I do when I know the other person is in the sports industry is try and pry some info from them about the Rockets or the NBA. I was just about to post something on the Nets lottery pick that I got yesterday. Now, I hesitate.

In re-reading my contract, it does say that all information I obtain is "private and confidential" and I guess that is for a reason.

But to a certain extent, I believe we Rocket fans have a right to know about our teams dealings as much as possible. Since most of you pay for tickets and I pay a ton for merchandise and apparel, I feel that any info that has to do with the team should be let known ASAP.

On the other hand, the last thing I want to do is get this site in trouble. In 4 years I have been here, this place is the only place I can talk Rocketball with real fans. If, the information I receive is considered confidential or could be used against this site, then I have to respect the person(s) or the entity that gave me that information.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I have to watch what I type.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

2. IA Rocket

IA Rocket Contributing Member

The following are comments and opinions that I have on this depressing situation.

Loosing Popeye from this site lowers the quality of the site.

Do I have this right? The Houston Rocket Organization (or other sources) are upset over a BBS fansite post? The Rockets Organization (or other sources) are concerned about posts that could result in the NBA looking into improper organization/player deals before the official organization/player contact date.

Since when did investigations occur in the NBA from posts on team fan sites? I can't see this headline on ESPN anytime soon "Popeye's post leads to Rockets investigation".

What happens when someones future post of "Rudy sucks" upsets the organization/contact?

Deleting Popeye's original post is sort of like Rushia or China rewriting history.

What happened to free speach?

Are we headed to an "NBA approved" post site where all the posts resemble the NBC player profiles that are all touchy-feelly yet lack any substance or truth?

------------------
    member of the Quitten hateclub

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

no admonishment from management.

as i've said before, this site is a valuable free markting tool for the Rockets. As long as they remain detached, I suspect they would want Popeye, and they would want controversy: just like a newspaper.

actions were proactive apparently from the site and popeye himself. At worst, popeye exposed his source to being caught.

If popeye himself, or his source, did not actually get admonished for spreading leaks, then most of us our confused why Popeye would stop posting.

4. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Yeah - I am guessing that Popeye's disclaimer is less for the sake of Clutch et. al, but probably in response to someone else - a source - getting upset, whatever. I think trying to figure it from the outside is a waste of time, though.

The thing is, I think the issue is bigger than our man popeye - whatever happened / happens with popeye, it brings up a point that was going to come up someday. Does Clutch have to answer for all our scoops, opinions, to the Rockets? If so, this BBS is a different world, man, let me tell you.

I do not think it is fair for the Rox to think the BBS is controlable from a administrative perspective, thats all. If Clutch posts dubious stuff on the front page as fact, thats one thing. If not, I do not think he can or should be held responsible. The world is changing, the web makes info - good and bad - spread like wildfire. The Rocks can not blame that on Clutch, popeye, or the Chucky Brown Fan Club.

To our man Clutch's credit, he did not delete the post, by the way, that seems to have been lost in some of the discussions, so it is not exactly like 'Rushia,' which I hear is lovely in June.

Anyway, like I said, it is not about deciphering the details of popeye's current situation or even his future. But if he fell victim to a "dont say anything that might get us in trouble," the BBS will be a much different place. That will be too bad.

CBFC

FREE POPEYE

------------------

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

as heypartner put it: Speculation is the Devil.

All we are is speculating what happened to pops.

Notice, he said he wouldn't post....could that mean he's still reading? (There's some more speculating)

popeye-you're wanted back. It doesn't matter if you no longer give us insider info, your opinions and thoughts count just as much, if not more.

Didn't we have a discussion on how impossible it is to break a cc.net addiction?

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

6. heypartner

NIKE: you beat me to it. I was going to ask if anyone had the scoop on Popeye.

Popeye...you have to come back. We never got to joust. I know I'm too crass to ever make honorary member of the CBFC, but man, I wired my bathroom with DSL just for you!!

Crap....I know nothing about other teams in this league. I spend too many hours watching just the Rockets, and their opponents. There are so many people on this board who I rely on for talent summaries of other NBA players...you're at the top of the list.

Plus, you are the only person to sympathize with my typngi lesdyxia.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited June 01, 2000).]

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I work in an industry that is ripe with NDAs (non disclosure agreements) People leak info all the time.

The only way Popeye could have gotten someone in trouble is if, the info was only known by a select few. If that is the case, then he really should think before he posts inside info.

However, that being said, I think the Rockets would not be harmed by anything that is said or written on this site.

Any publicity for the Rockets is good, even bad press.

The Rockets most assuradely have talked with Cuttino, as other NBA teams I am sure have talked with their free agents. This is not that big a deal, and the NBA will do what it usually does...NOTHING !!!

Popeye, if you are leaving out of respect to a friend that you got in trouble, then I understand, if however, you are leaving because people are worried about the truth coming out, then shame on you.

THE TRUTH NEVER HURTS !!

DaDakota

------------------

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

over 60 posts in this thread.

Popeye can't be that strong and not take a peek...

Come on pops....

I know your out there...

------------------

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Yea, Pops, get back in the "house" where you belong!

Without you we'll have to deal with HP going off on LHutz wannabe's for the rest of the season!!

Can anyone be like LHutz? Better yet, would anyone want to be like LHutz...other than HP??

[​IMG]

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

hello. my name is verse. and i'm a popeye junkie.

...much respect, pops. you'll be missed.

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

11. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

I was planning on keeping this quiet, but in honor of Popeye, I too will, ok never say never, post on this BBS. Those two, maybe three days, which i posted will never be forgotten.

------------------
    KISS The Floor Beneath ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. future man

future man Contributing Member

popeye, i'll pour out some of my 40 for you.

------------------

13. heypartner

Future Man!!

lol

I think that'll definitely give him a chuckle.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He said he'd continue reading after a while, but he won't post.

------------------
    ?