1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We Need a Game CLOSER Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. J, Nov 17, 2009.

?

who could be the CLOSER in key time?

1. T. Ariza

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  2. A. Brooks

34 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. S. Battier

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. T. McGrady (waiting for his back, if possible)

145 vote(s)
    66.2%
  5. a NEW guy?

36 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. Seth

Seth Member

You didn't?
    I did, there are 3 tmac threads after every loss.

2. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Yeah, and those devolve into T-Mac of 08-09 is what we will get vs T-Mac of 07-08 or lets wait and see what we get.

3. LittleWilly

LittleWilly Member

This team as assembled doesn't have a closer for a reason: injury. Just enjoy the team ball and don't sweat the lack of star power because this team is going to be both fun to watch and competitive with the role players out there.

Next season you can b**** about a lack of a closer, or star player. For this year just relax and enjoy the ride.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yup, I vote for Bud.

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Member

For me, I haven't given up this season. Morey either, so he did so many for this team.

We try (our best), then we see.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I advise you to not take the SAT, GMAT, ACT, or GRE without alot of practice.

Now-the present

yes the word "NOW" is in your title.

You put players that are playing and healthy on your list
    with the exception of one.

That player cannot play "NOW", no matter what you say on that option "if this if that" <> "can play NOW"

7. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I cannot wait for McGrady to come back. At least then we'll see if he can contribute or not. If he isn't compatible with the team, trade him. But boy, if he can play well for us and close out games, we'll be quite dangerous.

8. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

According to what the GM has public stated on this topic, you don't know what you are talking about. I heard him say the opposite. If he lied then he did so to all listeners.

I am one to wait and see what the players that Les has under contract can do before we ship them out unless management decides otherwise.

The funny thing is about your last statement, the GM and coach have both said at different times that they miss what each of them can bring or have brought to the team when health. Yes, the injury thing is the stinking point. Sort of sounds like a catch 22.

With your name, where's your optimism?

9. count_dookoo

count_dookoo Member

tracy' gonna come back and take us to the playoffs finals!

yeah! gooooo tracy!!!

10. pdewalt

pdewalt Member

I'm hoping that too. But more importantly, this team can't start regressing if he steps back on the court. IF they do, it will be on them not T-Mac. They have to still play hard, move without the ball, rebound with this same level of passion, play defense, run the floor on breaks and make their shots. A T-Mac on this team has to be additive not a detriment. And giving more weight to what I have heard Morey say, I think that all of this is possible.

Just think, this team could have several different finishers at the rim: Budinger, Ariza, Landry and T-Mac (in no particular order of significance).

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I thought this would be the year of Scola seeing how he carried his country every single time. Oh well, hopefully a new guy comes soon.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think a healthy T-mac can help this team - but a t-mac still nursing a bad knee can not.

I am not sure T-mac will truly be back until after the all-star break to be honest. He might be back on the court, but still, it's been a year since he's played and that knee will take a good year at least before it is fully recovered.

Even with T-mac, there's nothing to address the size issue in the middle.

This team can win more with T-mac, but to be contender we still need Yao back.

13. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

If what you mean by 'closer' is someone with good on-on-one skills then don't forget this 'closer' must also play the other 3 1/2 quarters with his TEAM. If this particular 'closer' chooses to hold the ball and stagnate the offense (not to mention play defense too) then we won't have a chance late in the 4th quarter because we will be so far behind and all we will need is Cook to close out a blowout loss.

14. pgestradasp1

pgestradasp1 Member

TMAC is the only logical answer right now. I've always been defensive of the guy cause id trust him with the ball in the closing seconds than any of our current players. I like Brooks, Landry, Ariza etc.. but when the game is on the line i trust Landry the most.

15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Unfortunantly, Tracy is the only 'closer' we have on this roster. While I cant wait for him to be off our team, we do need him in the 4th quarter. He should be pretty fun to watch, if he comes back healthy.

16. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

T-Mac, end of story.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is anyone even thinking about giving up on this season? We are playing great ball right now. Geez we lose one close game to a great team and people are acting like this team is in a tail spin.

Oh yeah I forgot its the GARM. People supposed to get negative.

18. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

I didn't watch last night's game so I don't know what happened at the end, but from previous games, I've noticed...

This team is too guard oriented in half court sets. That's fine if they are hitting their jump shots, but not too good when they aren't. They need to establish post-up players early in the game. Scola, Landry, and even Andersen have shown the ability to be a go-to guy with their back to the basket. Do that early and you can do it late, like we used to with Yao to close out games.

19. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

Rockets need a Ginobili type player, a super sixth man type player.

20. Mr. J

Mr. J Member

After this vs hawks, I do think we need a new guy. Trade T-Mac.