1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

``If Yao's better than this guy . . . wow.''

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coolpet, Jul 10, 2002.

1. coolpet

coolpet Member

Wang is far from Tim Duncan, but it's not as if this roster is bursting with sweet-shooting, touch-passing big men. It would take a sign-and-trade deal with Dallas to acquire Wang, but a trade (for Danny Fortson?) is workable.

``It's great to have somebody that big who can shoot the three and pass it, too,'' said guard Gilbert Arenas, one of several young Warriors on the summer team. ``He's kind of a Vlade Divac-type player. We're going to love having him on our summer league team. I hope we can get him for the regular season, too . . .

``If Yao's better than this guy . . . wow.''

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/sports/basketball/nba/golden_state_warriors/3627376.htm

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

wrong forum
    Yao " Wow" Ming is kinda catchy though. :)

member of the forum police..
    Actually, I'am trying to get my post count up. (welcome aboard)

#2 Roc Paint, Jul 10, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2002
  3. Timing

Timing Member

Roc Paint can't get it up. *snicker* :D

4. Roc Paint

lol Timing
    My girlfriend came up with my first name, so that should tell you something. ;)

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I know this is the wrong thread(couldn't find he other thread)...

but, how about "Kung Pow" Yao...?

6. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I must not be clicking on all cylinders today. How is this thread in the wrong forum?

7. Roc Paint

Because "this guy" doesn't play for the Rockets.
    Seems like people around here have been posting nifty thread titles, but the actual thread does not pertain to the Rockets..
    Oh, who really gives a flying anal waffle anyway?
    Go BBS!! :)

#7 Roc Paint, Jul 10, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2002
  8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I think the following line puts this thread in the correct forum:

"If Yao's better than this guy . . . wow.''

9. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

I think she was talking about the rocks in your head !!

the head on your shoulders........ Oh never mind ! ;)

btw, I thought you were going to the gym 3 hours ago ???

( can someone say BBS-aholic ? )

10. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

That's what I was thinking too. It's a quote from someone who is familiar with Wang's skills and if Yao is supposed to be better than Wang, then...

Wow.

11. redao

redao Member

Yao has the potential and chance to be better than Wang. But not now.
    Thanks for the news update of Wang Zhizhi. I hope we can give this "wow" to winner Wang after he overcomes all his frustrations.

12. Roc Paint

Can someone say stalker? :eek:

Hey, at least I post from home and not work. :D

13. yin

yin Member

At this moment, Yao is a little better than Wang. In the near future yao will be best and dominant in the NBA with his increased skills, strength, even height (he's just 21 and haven't stopped growing). However, just one year ago, people in China generally thought Wang is better and more famous than Yao, Wang is a role center and Yao just a backup center in China national team. The main reason is, I think, Wang is 2-3 years old than yao, so he's more strong and went to national team early. Based on recent China national team warmup games, it seems that the coach thought that yao is more better than Wang at present because the team's center is Yao (backup is Barteer) and Wang is power forward or small forward (maybe this is another small reason that Wang delayed his returning).
    In the whole, Yao, Wang and Barteer are famous centers in China, named as China's the walking great wall. With the time, Yao will be the best among three as he's youngest.

14. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Any positive news about Yao is good news.

As another volunteer member of the admittedly annoying forum police, I actually think this is in the right forum because the thread title invites discussion of Yao. We care about Wang in this case because of the perceived reflection on Yao's abilities.

I'm sold on Yao's offensive abilities although I recognize it will take time for him to adjust. It's his defensive contributions that I'm particularly interested in learning about. Yao's abilities to shoot and pass alone make us a consistent playoff team, but it's the impact he could have on defense and that alone I feel that could make us championship contenders with time. It's still all about team defense, but Yao will be the centerpiece of that team defense regardless.

I hope Wang tears it up in the summer league and people in the know continually affirm Yao's superiority to Wang as a player.

15. yin

yin Member

The most needed improved ability for Yao is the Offensive around basket because of his relative weak upperbody and less weight. He'll be immidiate defensive presence in the games with his present skills.
    Definitely Yao will bring rocket to playoff with his good teammates, possibly chamionship next season.
    It seems that Wang already gave excellent impression in the summer league though it's just begining. But Yao is more better. So Rocket made the right choice. We'll be proud of Rocket and Houston.

--------------------
    Relativist:

I'm sold on Yao's offensive abilities although I recognize it will take time for him to adjust. It's his defensive contributions that I'm particularly interested in learning about. Yao's abilities to shoot and pass alone make us a consistent playoff team, but it's the impact he could have on defense and that alone I feel that could make us championship contenders with time. It's still all about team defense, but Yao will be the centerpiece of that team defense regardless.

I hope Wang tears it up in the summer league and people in the know continually affirm Yao's superiority to Wang as a player.

16. Col. Crap

Col. Crap Member

uh, how do i join the forum police?

17. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Actually, it could be Ming "WOW" Yao.

Ming is his first name and Yao is his last name.