1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Signing Free Agent Soon!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jul 8, 2009.

1. aznphil83

aznphil83 Member

ok what is with the man love for marvin williams i dont see how he will fit here when we already have so many fowards and wings. Plus he isnt worth the MLE as our biggest concern right now is getting someone over 6'10.

2. Raven

Raven Member

What is this obsession with creating a 50 win roster that accomplishes nothing other than hurting our draft position? The last thing this team needs to do is limp into the first round as an eighth seed and get blown out.

3. ImG

ImG Member

maybe for experience? just a thought.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Perhaps the Rockets feel they'll be more attractive to free agents next offseason if they win games this year. But if they don't have enough money to sign them, what's the point?

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah - wouldn't it be awful to be adding Yao Ming and a max free agent to a team that just made the playoffs :confused:

I fail to see your logic here?

Any move that improves us AND maintains the 2010 cap flexibility needs to be looked into.

6. worzel gummidge

There's only one Brandon Roy in a draft, only one CP3 in a draft, etc... but many role players and/or busts. Tanking isn't the answer.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How is he not worth it? He's 22, averaged 13.9 ppg last season, and was drafted 2nd overall.

Ariza is worth it and he had just as good a year as him.

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

There is no one over 6'10 worth the MLE. The top concern right now is accumulating as many assets as financially possible, regardless of immediate fit.

There's some serious defensive potential on the wings with Ariza and Marvin Williams.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But there is a chance that the Hawks match any offer they get from him, but it doesn't hurt trying.

Plus I don't think Battier would be traded for him. I think Battier or anyone is going to be traded for a Center.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Agreed.

there's also some serious potential for bricks with those guys on the wings....

Hopefully (for their sakes) the strides they made last season in shooting the 3 continue into this season.

11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I would rather have a top 5 draft prospect, who isn't injured every season and a max free agent.

12. Super Von

Super Von Member

I dont understand why we want Marvin Williams?

13. worzel gummidge

The Hawks gave Bibby the MLE he'll easily get more than that from them.

14. thacabbage

I think they would definitely match that - MLE is below market value for Marvin Williams. I would definitely put in a call though.

As for Battier, the Hawks gain nothing in that swap. They could just match Williams at MLE rather than take on Battier at $7million - Williams is the more desirable player. Unless you mean sign and trading Williams for over $7mill/year...?

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Obviously, AI is the best choice!

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It would be nice just to put it on the table, yeah they should match it...but they are the Hawks so it doesn't hurt to.

I don't think they would trade for Battier either. I was talking about others who thought it was a good idea if we couldn't sign him.

Problem is, if Williams isn't the guy Morey is looking at then who else is worth it?

17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

What happens if we get a high pick in the 2010 draft and it turns out there's nobody available to 'put us over the top'? I guess we should just take the crappiest player available, so we don't hurt our 2011 draft position...

18. thacabbage

My guess would have been Chris Mihm or Jake Voskuhl were it not for the comments about trading for a center. I think they'll split it between the rookies and someone else for around $2 million. I really can't see them offering someone the full MLE at this point. I would be pleasantly surprised to say the least.

19. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Think there is any package that could pry Marc Gasol away from the Griz? He had a pretty good season last year for a rookie and would be a big asset to the Rox, I think. Now that they have Thabeet maybe they will do a trade for someone that will give them something they need.

20. nomad_balla

nomad_balla Member

no AI or Marvin Williams please. we need a center and a shooting guard