1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here is an idea that should be used for Rockets Season-Ticket Holders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jun 18, 2002.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

-This is from the Atlanta Constitution-

"Hawks To Pay Season-Ticket Holders If They Miss Playoffs "

The Hawks "are so confident about next season, they'll pay every full-season ticketholder $125 if they don't make the playoffs," according to Jeffrey Denberg of the ATLANTA CONSTITUTION, who writes, "That's about a $500,000 bet for the Hawks, based on last year's sales of about 4,000 packages at between $1,025 and $3,485 each." Denberg writes that it is "an unprecedented offer among Atlanta teams and rare in professional sports." Though the Hawks have not made the playoffs in three seasons, Hawks President Stan Kasten said, "I expect this team to make the playoffs." Kasten said that the refund-reward program is the team's "way of repairing its public image after a series of disasters." The program "was initiated by coach Lon Kruger and supported by several veteran players." Kasten, on "objections to offering the rebate": "As we learned last year, too many things can go wrong during a season. The other thing is that half the teams in the league lose every night. We don't sell winning and losing. We sell entertainment and competition"
    (ATLANTA CONSTITUTION, 6/18).

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

It's not too far out for the Hawks to make the playoffs. They have substantial talent for the Eastern Conference and are very capable of making the playoffs if they stay healthy.

3. Drofnarc

Drofnarc Member

I like it. It's a gutsy move with potential for some really nice PR. Of course, it could backfire, but that's the deal with gutsy moves. Like drafting an Chinese center. In both cases, the teams can say "well, what do we have to lose."

I think it's a great idea. I don't expect any western conference teams on the bubble to make a promise like that, but it would be nice.

--Drof