1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets await invite for Yao discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Achebe, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1443330

Rockets await invite for Yao discussions
    Team hopes to sort out details in China
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

With no signs of trouble, but no official word, the Rockets waited by the phone Thursday for the call that could offer the next breakthrough in their hopes to draft Chinese center Yao Ming with the No. 1 pick in this month's NBA draft.

Rockets attorney Michael Goldberg sent letters to Shanghai Sharks officials and to the China Basketball Association requesting invitations to meet next week in Shanghai and Beijing. The Rockets did not expect answers until midday in Shanghai, overnight in Houston, at the earliest.

But Yao's cousin and representative Erick Zhang met with Sharks president Bai Li and reported no problems in negotiations to provide the letter of clearance necessary for Yao to play in the NBA.

"We're waiting for the invitation," Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said. "We're looking forward to going over there. I think the time has come. It's the right time to meet face to face.

"The signs that we have received through contacts we have have been positive. We continue to be optimistic."

NBA vice president of International Basketball Operations Kim Bahuny, who has been in periodic contact with Zhang, said all indications are that Zhang remains Yao's choice to represent his interests and that he has been received well in Shanghai.

Reports on Wednesday indicated that the Sharks would insist on assigning Yao representation, as was done with Mavericks free-agent forward Wang ZhiZhi. However, NBA sources said Sharks general manager Ling Shaio Ming has developed a reputation for making outrageous demands, from insisting that any NBA team that signed Yao would have to build a new arena in Shanghai, to expecting thata current NBA player be sent to China as compensation.

Bai has been cooperative in the past with other NBA negotiations and was instrumental in bringing an ATP tennis event to Shanghai.

Wang's case, however, could complicate already delicate negotiations. Wang failed to report to China for mandatory training with his national team and has not contacted the Mavericks since the end of the season. The Mavericks has been unable to locate him, prompting speculation that he could be considering defecting.

Bahuny said the Chinese government, China Basketball Association and the Sharks must approve his letter of clearance, but that it is unclear whether any group has assumed jurisdiction over the others.

"As far as we're concerned, Erick and John Huizinga are working to represent Yao in this matter," Bahuny said. "With the Rockets meeting with Sharks and CBA, we believe everyone will come out on [the] same page."

NBA officials have said since the lottery, that they believed it would not be as difficult for a NBA team to gain cooperation of the Chinese government and basketball officials as many have believed.

"It seems that the powers that be are interested in him coming to the NBA or we wouldn't have gotten this far," NBA commissioner David Stern said.

"My sense is we've had agents that have been more difficult than this will ultimately be. I was thinking about Danny Ferry(represented by David Falk) playing in Italy for a season (rather than to play for the Clippers.) I don't think this is going to be terribly difficult."

If it does get sticky, the Rockets will be on their own.

"We wouldn't (get involved)," Stern said. "Our view as I asked the general manager of the Shanghai Sharks, does he know how to spell Arvydas Sabonis? If that's what they want, a player who doesn't come to the NBA in his prime to learn the game and ultimately to perhaps even help his country attain a medal -- I would say a bronze or silver -- then that's their decision to make.

"But I think there are forces that are very much in favor of making sure many countries' players get the kind of training, coaching, nutrition and competition that the NBA offers. It's the best in the world and we stand ready to be helpful, generally, but not to aid one team over another one."

Sabonis was drafted by the Portland Trail Blazers in 1986 but didn't receive clearance from his native Russia to join the NBA until 1995.

NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik said the league's involvement so far has been to work out the logistics of Yao's workout in Chicago and to try to bring him to the draft. But he said that the league would help the Rockets explain the limits of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, particularly if demands cannot be met because of NBA rules.

The Rockets, however, believe such issues will be handled if the groups meet next week.

"We're just waiting patiently," Rockets chief operating officer George Postolos said. "Generally, the last conversation had with Erick was positive.

"We continue to be optimistic. We think the Sharks have legitimate concerns that need to be addressed. We have legitimate concerns that need to be addressed. We think by meeting face to face ... those concerns can be addressed, and we will move forward together. That's what we believe will happen if we can arrange a meeting.

"One of their primary concerns is making sure Yao Ming is available for the Chinese National team when it competes internationally. Their interests and our interests need to be addressed. They need him there so he can be an effective part of the Chinese national competition. We need him here frequently enough to be the best player he can be. There is a common interest there."

#1 Achebe, Jun 7, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2002
  2. watchmen77

watchmen77 Member

from insisting that any NBA team that signed Yao would have to build a new arena in Shanghai,

wow, this is something new that i never heard of this before. ANOTHE reason to trade that pick to clippers!!!
    no to yao!!!

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.

4. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

> "But I think there are forces that are very much in favor of making sure many countries' players get the kind of training, coaching, nutritionand competition that the NBA offers. It's the best in the world and we stand ready to be helpful, generally, but not toaid one team over another one."

Well that much is obvious just by looking at MoTaylor

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

good to hear. Heech's thread about Wang Zhi Zhi also helps to ease fears about the Wang/Dallas situation. It seems that it is more of a Wang/Dallas situation as opposed to a Wang/CBA situation. I'm not going to lose any sleep over Wang bickering with Dallas.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh great... the Tao of Poodle.

7. Stevie Francis

this just shows how great communism is....yeah right.

8. Possum

Possum Member

Do you even pay attention to what you read? It says "However, NBA sources said Sharks general manager Ling Shaio Ming has developed a reputation for making outrageous demands, from insisting that any NBA team that signed Yao would have to build a new arena in Shanghai, to expecting that a current NBA player be sent to China as compensation." Did you see where they said Ling Shaio Ming has developed a reputation for making outrageous demands? The key words being outrages demands. Pay attention and stop looking for any little thing you can find to dis Ming. :rolleyes:

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

With no signs of trouble, but no official word, the Rockets waited by the phone Thursday for the call that could offer the next breakthrough

Oh my God! there is no emergency. The sky is not falling. No need to desperately trade Yao for whatever anyone will give us. No need to go into political tirades about communism and the fate of western civilization. No need to create a cabinet position over it either.

Ever listen to Carol Dawson talk? The guy sounds like he is discussing the weather on the golf course with his next door neighbor after 18 rounds of golf and a couple of drinks.. Talking about relaxed. I just don't see him panicking like some of the posters on the bbs ---including me at times --since I want Yao so much. Of course I'm not a gm or a billionaire business guy like Les.

I think it is looking good for Yao. The Rockets' trip proposal is just a way of putting the heat on the Sharks. Their confused response shows that this is working.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like that one. . . .I think i will steal it

Rocket River
    it is my motto for the day

11. Live

Live Member

Good news, I guess.

Interesting note about Wang: There are reports of China demanding that Wang report to the national team and not being able to locate him, yet Wang has reportedly been in constant contact with Chinese Basketball (i.e the national team) which supports his plan to play in the LA Summer League and join the team later.

Is this a severe case of miscommunication or what? :eek:

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I haven't been reading every Ming article, but I thought Rudy and Co. were supposed to go to China last week?

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

610 Reports: Pres of Sharks Willing to See Rockets

Good News
    They responded over night

Rocket River

14. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Rocket River you made my day!!!!

GLOORRRRRIE BEEEEE.....

(TheFreak, a few weird things happened b/c of that gm guy, it looks like it may have gotten straightened out though, YES!)

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yah great news RR.

it would be awesome if we could make it a done deal before the draft similar to the Texans David Carr selection.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is Ling Shaoe Ming the same person as Li Yaomin, just different translated spellings????

Those quotes from Stern were from the ESPN show. "Do you know how to spell Arvynas Sabonis." He also sounds pretty strict about helping us hold him to a standard Rookie Scale contract with no concessions.

I like the way he says that they are honoring the collective bargaining agreement. Combine that with the Sabonis remark, and I think he's saying that Ming gets no special contract...it is your decision to help him be the best player he can be and make the most money he can make...and that, to me, is calling their bluff.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nice to see that cooler heads are prevailiing.

DaDakota

18. heech

heech Contributing Member

HP, I've been wondering that myself.

Maybe he said his name in Shanghainese (a dialect basically unintelligible to other mandarin speakers), and some Western press member just guessed at the spelling...

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Just because cooler heads have prevailed doesn't mean Yao Ming will be a Rocket.

If we draft him, I want him in the uniform right away. If we can't get him right away---that is, if RT and CD don't get those assurances---he won't be a Rocket.

Whatever happens, the team with the #1 pick (and that's gonna yield Yao Ming) has to meet with the Chinese. That's a given.