1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If No Ming and No trade, what's your game plan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CriscoKidd, Jun 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If the Rockets weren't considering contingency plans they would be shortsighted and unprofessional. All good busineesmen plot out the 'what ifs' and try not to be caught off guard. So, I think this thread is a valid exercise (and also more fun than speculating on the vagaries of Oriental diplomacy).

If I were the Rockets I would be shopping the pick for the best deal. That could include draft picks, players or a combination of both so the speculation is unlimited. If we trade down lower than #4 we might as well go as low as 8 since there is no clear consensus on the players at that level, so the Clips look like the most likley trade partner. They know we want Odom, they know we need to dump a salary. We know they want J-wil , We know they have extra picks in the first round. We know that we will lose our first round pick to Memphis next year so we can take on extra youth this year and stash'em on the IR (or NBDL?).

So..our #1 and Rice for the #8 #12 and Odom.... Capologist?

Then I would take Tskitishvili and Stoudemire. You get Odom at the SF, a 7 footer with game and Stoudemire as effectivly your #1 pick in 2003.

GP

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

NBA draft.net doesn't have Benson in the top 58. Sounds like a great reach at #38.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Thanks for the stuff on the Euros NJ. Niko seems like he is going to be special. The Kristic guy sounds like a nice gamble, but I doubt there is any good deal out there to move down or up from the 2nd round to get him, esp considering he wont play next year. Some team could end up with a quality backup C with him though.

these guys sure do make the 2nd rounder more valuable.

Benson's defense atrocious eh? Maybe he could be good there in spurts, given the right coaching ...

If we pick Ming, how about we trade Cato for him? :)

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Crisco, or anyone for that matter...do we have the #38 or not?

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

It hasn't been officially conveyed yet, but I think the general consensus is that it will be.

from realgm.com:

Miami will send its second round pick to Houston. Detroit had an option to swap this year's second round pick and next year's second round pick for Miami's second round pick this year (11/26/00: Pistons trade Cedric Ceballos to Heat for a conditional second round pick). However, they traded their 2002 second round pick to Toronto (7/18/01: Pistons trade second round pick to Raptors for Zeljko Rebraca) who traded it to Houston (8/2/01: Toronto trades first and second round picks to Houston for Hakeem Olajuwon). Houston will likely employ the option. Therefore, Detroit's second round pick will go to Miami in return for Miami's, which they will send to Houston.

confusing enough?