1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat on best dam Sports 5/30

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCballer, May 30, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Oh, I think you're right.... but I think the aura those guys put out could definitely rile the Shanghai Sharks, etc.

Winning is the cure all for everything... Fans and players alike.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Now we're getting somewhere. The nice thing about having the #1 is, You can get other teams by the balls.

What has been posted here about Jamal Crawford makes some sense.

The Clippers need a decent point guard who has some experience. Donald Sterling their owner is cheap. He has a good young team and he's under pressure to do the right thing. To stay competitive, he has to spend money.

Brand deserves the max. But he needs a reason to stay. What management does with Kandi will determine the future of the franchise. Either re-sign Kandi to a good contract (probably shy of the max) or land also-former-Dukie Jay Williams somehow and find a halfway-OK center in the draft.

The Clips have two superfluous contracts in Odom and Maggette. Miles has basically taken Odom's spot. Maggette is good but not great and his contract is also up for extension. The Clips want to trade away both players.

Now, if the Clips manage to get Jay Will, he'll be a max contract in a few years. Miles will want the max. Q-Richardson will want big money.

So maybe the Rox and Bulls can draft the players they want, Clips get Crawford, maybe KT and Mooch, Bulls also get Maggette, Rox get Odom, scooch around some draft picks....something like that?

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe we should draft Ming and trade Mobley for Odom. I do think the Clipps will like Mobley -- he's locked into a long-term low salary contract.

4. bishop

bishop Member

Puedlfor, you hit it on the money,I think some of you guys need to get a life. Since when did opinions become out-lawed? Some of you need to remember, just because people dont agree with you or vice-versa, that doesnt make them stupid, ignorant and anything else. Im sorry, but Dreamshake you are acting like Cuttino was talking about a family member, CHILL-OUT!!!!!!! MEMO TO EVERYONE: ITS HIS OPINION!!!!!!

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

This board and this thread in paticular just stole 2 hours of my life.

Cat & Francis: Let the GM & coach make the personel decisions and concentrate on making the decisions on the court. They've gotten better... but still need some work. Oh and mix in some work on your D, which would look a lot better with another stopper in the lane blocking shots. Winning is more important than playing with your buds... (Pun intended)

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this to you (havent read the rest of the thread yet) but this kind of crap spewing outta your mouth(fingers) is totally unnecessary especially comin from some guy who's been here such a short time. Take it back to the ESPN childrens board if ya wanna talk that way.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Am I mistaken? The first thing out of Cuttino's mouth in Foxsports (??) after the draft when MoT was with him:

Reporter: "What do you want in the draft:"

Mobley: "HEIGHT!" This was more candid that what I hear here. Cat and MoT reportedly laughed as if to say "and 7'5 is a lot of height."

Someone remarked he and MoT were giddy on FoxSports with the thought of Ming. There is something going on here. DocRocket and Popeye have gone silent, as if mgmt got word out through the grapevine for everyone to shush. Doc's last thread specifically told us not to talk about the #1 anymore and focus on the #15, did it not?

This is a #1 PICK! Things must be handled differently, and I think that starts with Dawson clamping down on leaks. He is a master of not tipping his hand, and faking everyone out about draft selection (for good or bad). You have to believe he is taking this #1 even more seriously, regarding leaks.

When I compare Mobley's initial reaction to Houston TV versus this stuff one week later, I find it is just as believable to think Dawson is in charge here and spreading leaks through his players as it is to believe the "natives have taken over." At worst, Cat and Francis are just talking about personal preferences but remain loyal to mgmt decisions.

Remember, this is the #1 Pick! I don't have to be an insider to think that CD is treating this as the most important decision in his career; we can bet to that. CD is not going to listen to TroyBaros, Steve or Cat on this decision.

#147 heypartner, May 31, 2002
    Last edited: May 31, 2002
  8. Major

Major Member

Puedlfor, you hit it on the money,I think some of you guys need to get a life. Since when did opinions become out-lawed? Some of you need to remember, just because people dont agree with you or vice-versa, that doesnt make them stupid, ignorant and anything else. Im sorry, but Dreamshake you are acting like Cuttino was talking about a family member, CHILL-OUT!!!!!!! MEMO TO EVERYONE: ITS HIS OPINION!!!!!!

So what you're saying is that its OK for Cuttino to state his opinion, but when people here state their opinion about Cuttino, it's wrong and they need to get a life. Excellent.

9. Possum

Possum Member

I was just messin w/ RaptorsDynasty:) However I'm not a big Cat fan. I dont think he sux but his game should be a lot better with his quickness and athleticism.:( I get tired of wathching him shoot the ball with a hand in his face.:mad: He needs to learn how to create seperation and get more open looks. If he would do that I think he would be one of the top SG's in the NBA.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Did anyone else detect this? When asked the question about wanting Ming, Cat's first mumbled-remark was ~"I love you coach but..."

Then he proceeded to go on about his preference for Odom.

I think Cuttino knew he was flying in the face of the Team's stated position. It's not a crime but it certainly is impolitic at a very important time in the team's history.

Cat's argument is a valid one IF you are concretely uncertain about Ming's talent. I'm not. Go Ming.

11. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

You know, for once in my life I didn't have an opinion on get Ming/trade the pick. I'll be damned if Cat and Steve didn't make it for me.

I agree with everyone here who says that management should do what they think is in the best interests of the Rocks. If it means picking Ming, they have my blessing. Any player with a problem with management's decision should be traded at the first opportunity.

PS: Players who aren't winning should never have an opinion on management decisions.

12. WHADDAYATHINK

WHADDAYATHINK Member

Secretly alot of GM's that attended Ming's workout in Chicago were not that impressed only with his shooting touch and agility (Chicago Tribune). Chirstofferson lit him up. I have alot of respect for the opinion of Jerry West. Don't get caught in size and hype we already have a "skilled" center dominant would a warrant a pick at 1.

13. tozai

tozai Member

Dreamshake-
    "tozai...havent watched a whole lot of the Francis Mobley show the last few years have you?
    Actually I have, and if you hate them so much then stop crying about it on this BBS and watch another team. Are you really a Rocket fan? Are you bitter Hakeem's heyday is over? FACE IT...Steve and Cuttino are part of the nucleus and are here to stay.
    Do I think Cuttino should have handled the interview more business-like? Yes
    Do I think Odom would help us? Yes
    Do I think it's the management's decision on who to pick? Yes
    Do I think players on the team have no right to voice their opinion on who they play with? NO

"You know what...Its not even worth a response. "
    You just did b****

"Obviously your to (you're too-GENIUS) used to being punked on the b**** bbs boards like ESPN so you have to find a new place to post your garbage. "
    Umm No, you're the one that goes on some emotional tirade crying about how everything sucks, and when someone disproves your weak argument you make up some irrelevant BS about an ESPN message board, because you don't have **** to back up your complaints

And thats about what your post totaled. 2 minutes of wated time, and alot of wasted internet space.
    Not according to some people(TBar), and not as wasted as the asinine crap that you cry about

When you post, try to to actually post something that at least hold a similance of believability. Otherwise....the ESPN boards await."

Ooh them Fighting Words...How about YOU write something that makes some sense...Similance???Are you making up words? Believability??? You say we shouldn't get Odom because he is a pothead, because he thinks he is a max player, because he has good skills and upside....WHAT...Can you read his mind, do you know him personally, you compliment him and then diss him...How about you making some sense. Odom takes about 14 shots a game, who said he is a max player, who said we have to trade the #1 pick to get him.

The fact is we still need a center, but he could solve the 3 spot
    He's like the definition of a point forward, good size, versatile scorer, even you said he has skills
    The only negatives are weed and how do you know if he still does it?

14. WHADDAYATHINK

WHADDAYATHINK Member

:D Maybe it will rile them enough to get off those crazy demands and just let him play. who likes strings attached to anything this important. If not for strings this board would be closed for the summer.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Christopherson did not light up Ming. In ESPN the Magazine, an article about that experience in Chicago helped me understand that nerves, jet lag, and sleeplessness could have contributed greatly to Ming's performance that day. So who knows what to believe.

16. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Anyone else think Steve and Cat's insistence that we already have our center in Cato has anything to do with the fact that Cato doesn't demand the ball?

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think I've heard it all now. I saw the video of the workout, and read the articles. In all of the documentation and footage of the workout, I've found one positive thing Christofferson did: he blocked one of Ming's shots. Now, because Ming had one shot blocked over the course of an hour long workout, he was "lit up". Wow.

18. tozai

tozai Member

I agree, Yao was not lit up, but there definitely are some concerns. Getting blocked by Christoffersen is downright embarassing, even if you're 5'11 forget 7'5. Also if you read those ESPN articles you would see that Yao immediately was calling for fouls with minor contact from Christoffersen and was sent flying when he was backed up. Cordell Henry was floating up layups over his head as well.
    We have to take this all in stride, it was hardly an excuse for a workout. It was just a display to show Yao can shoot a basketball wide open and run the court better than one would expect for someone of his height. The CBA competition is weak, PERIOD. I'm not discrediting his stats, but it would be pretty sad to draft a player #1 without even working him out against decent prospects. I have a bad feeling about this bust, but you're right he wasn't lit up. Thankfully, although after the draft, we will get to see how bad Yao is when he plays in the World Championships. This still is no NBA Season type of play, but it's better than the CBA. Also, if you want to evaluate a player on ONE GAME he played against college all-stars, you would be majorly jumping to conclusions.

19. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

the rockets are NOT gunna trade mobley or francis so you might as well stop talking about it

20. Timing

Timing Member

This is the best damn Rockets thread period. I've never seen such a wide variety of bashing/praising all in the same thread. Verrrrry entertaining... :D