1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10PGs in the L?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nikos, May 17, 2002.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

1. Payton
    2. Francis
    3. Kidd
    4. Nash
    5. Marbury
    6. Davis
    7. Bibby
    8. A. Miller
    9. Parker
    10. Cassell

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

2-7 are all close as hell

1.) Gary Payton (Greatness over time is what creates greatness)
    2.) Steve Francis (I am biased, sue me)
    3.) Jason Kidd (maybe he gets too much credit, maybe he doesn't)
    4.) Mike Bibby (This is guy is C-L-U-T-C-H, his playoff performance bumps him up here)
    5.) Steve Nash (Benefits from a great supporting cast, but he can shoot better than everyone but Payton and Pass better than everyone but Miller and Kidd.)
    6.) Andre Miller (Young Star Rising, and he was the only PG to have 10+ apg, and he has no supporting cast.)
    7.) Baron Davis (he could be the next Gary Payton.)
    8.) Stephon Marbury (he could be the next Kenny Anderson.)
    9.) John Stockton (See #1)
    10.) Sam Cassell (benefits from plenty of playoff experience)

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

From a purely statistical perspective, these were the top 10 PGs, in order, in the NBA last year:

1. Baron Davis
    2. Jason Kidd
    3. Gary Payton
    4. Darrell Armstrong
    5. Andre Miller
    6. John Stockton
    7. Steve Nash
    8. Sam Cassell
    9. Alvin Williams
    10. Chauncey Billups

Francis? 22nd.

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

pfft. There are other pgs I would take ahead of him definitely. He is good in stretches but still a shade of his former self. I'd rather have a pg that can carry a team if need be.

As far as best point guards of all time he is definitely up there though.

oh yeah, bite me.

5. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Member

Yeah right, Nash is better than Miller, Davis, Marbury, Cassel and Stockton. Give me a break Nash is way overated.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

There's 5 PG's you would take ahead of Stockton right now??

Even when he's old, hes one of the best... bite me :)

1. Jason Kidd
    2. Gary Payton
    3. Mike Bibby
    4. John Stockton
    5. Andre Miller
    6. Terrel Brandon
    7. Steve Nash
    8. Baron Davis
    9. Steve Francis
    10. Jamaal Tinsley

------------
    The bad thing is, when naming these you name all the super-stars ... true point guards that aren't in the spot light are forgotten

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Best Point Guards

1. Jason Kidd
    2. Gary Payton
    3. Andre Miller
    4. Baron Davis
    5. John Stockton
    6. Sam Cassell
    7. Steve Nash
    8. Terrell Brandon
    9. Stephon Marbury
    10. Steve Francis

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

ah I see where you're coming from now. I'm listing the top players who play the pg position. I think you're thinking more along the lines of someone who sets up his teamates more eh?
    but if that's the criteria then I would rank them:

Kidd
    Payton
    Nash
    Miller
    Van Exel
    Stockton(he makes this list in this category, bite me :p )
    Brandon
    Bibby
    Cassell
    Marbury

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I know he's a backup but Bobby Jackson should fit somewhere on these lists. I mean he's clutch and he does what it takes too win. I would take him over players like Marbury any day.

10. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

I don't know about that, but he sure deserved the 6th man of the year award. He was robbed.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

ya, I thought this was a best point guard in the league thing..

I was thinking point guards setting up people, dishing it out, running the show - I guess most of ya'll were thinking of the super athletes who had 20+ points... thats just not a true point guard in my mind..

12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

There seems to be a lot of controversy over John Stockton, although it may be a mute point soon. For those of you who don't know, Larry Miller (Jazz owner) is going to ask Stockton for his decision on leaving or staying very early this year because of all the free agents they have. Granted, people have thought he would retire for the last half-decade, but he must realize now that there is no championship coming. He's set all the meaningful records at PG. However, I have a feeling Malone will stick around for two more years to break the scoring record, and Stockton may stay on until he leaves. Anyway, not that anyone cares, but here's my take on Stockton:

First, Stockton is a very good shooter. Halfway through last year's season, he was leading the league in FG% (ahead of Shaq!) and this year he led all guards in FG% (again). He's actually underrated in that department since people focus so much on his passing, and he doesn't actually shoot all that much. I sometimes wonder what kind of scoring average he would have if he shot it 20 times a game and/or there was no Malone. He's also very strong (it rubbed off from Malone). Secondly, he's a very smart player. He must be one of the most cerebral players in the game, making difficult passes look awfully simple; he might be the best half-court distributor ever. He's receieved praise in that department from Gary Payton, who said that "I'm still looking for a weakness in his game" and a rare pat on the back by Charles Barkley, who called Stockton "one of the five best players I've ever played against." On the flip side, Stockton is not a good defender, despite piling up steals. He relies more on dirty play more athletic players. Secondly, he's getting old, and his stamina is suffering, although little else is. The Jazz lost both of their back-up points from their finals teams, Eisley and Vaughn, and have had to make do with Crotty and LaRue (ouch!), and that has hurt the Jazz. They will not be good again any time soon.:p
    I wouldn't call him desirable to have anymore, simply because he's only got two years left at the most, but in the hear and now, he's still one of the best around, definetley one of the top ten.

Anyway, here's my Ten:

1. Kidd (Why? I thought the Hornets would KILL the Nets, even without Mashburn. Kidd proved me wrong. Can't we do a joint MVP?)
    2. Payton (While not a "true point" he's still making All-Defensive teams, and he's become more unselfish this season. Maybe it's the new "old" uniforms :D)
    3. Miller (Who? What was that? Wesley Person? Ilgauskas? What?)
    4. Stockton (Do you realize that he's TWICE as old as Tony Parker?)
    5. Davis (He has a lot of help, but he has one of the best drives in the NBA, easily.)
    6. Francis (Umm... where's Francis on all you guys' lists? Do you hate him that much? I think those of you who put Billups, Parker, Tinsley, and Alvin Williams ahead of Francis need a CAT scan. Give me a break.)
    7. Nash (I know, Bibby just made him look rather silly, but Bibby can't carry a team (yet). Nash can.
    8. Brandon (Cryin' shame he got injured. The Wolves might have actually made it out of the first round. That guy has mad mid-range game.)
    9. Bibby (His stock just went up. It's funny: all the other Kings have made the playoffs, Bibby hasn't. Has he just not realized it yet? Wait a few games, maybe he'll begin choking with the rest of the Kings.)
    10. Mark Jackson (Okay, okay, I'm biased. I love that guy. Sue me. He's still a great distributor, and he posts up! What more do you want?)

Cassell gets an honorable mention. He's still good, and he's a former Rocket :D. Unfortunatley, Mason really screwed up all the Bucks. Oh well. I could see why some might put Marbury there, but really... he's not a 1, he's a short 2. Plus, I'm still too busy laughing that the Suns traded Kidd for him. Van Exel also gets an honorable mention, but I'm still laughing at the Nuggets for making THAT trade, even though they unloaded salaries... it was the most lopsided trade of the season besides the Brand-Chadler trade (what the hell was that?)

13. Piranha

Piranha Member

Could you see Stockton going, maybe as a backup, to a real contender?

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

No way. Stockton's not going anywhere after 17 years with the Jazz. He's made that fairly clear. However, Malone says he wouldn't mind be traded to a title contender, but he says he would never play in a back-up role.

15. XBeams

XBeams Member

Francis
    Payton
    Miller
    Kidd
    Davis
    Marbury
    Bibby
    Nash
    Stockton
    Parker

Note: I put Franchise at top considering the majority of the point guards on this list are known becuase of their porformance in the post season. Payton, Kidd, Davis, Bibby, Stockton, Nash ,and Parker have all been in the playoffs. Francis Miller and Marbury have either never played in the post season or have gone to the post season once (marbury). We have yet to see how Stevie and Andre Miller will perform in the playoffs, and that's what makes a franchise player. The post season.

16. XBeams

XBeams Member

Francis
    Payton
    Miller
    Kidd
    Davis
    Marbury
    Bibby
    Nash
    Stockton
    Parker

Note: I put Franchise at top considering the majority of the point guards on this list are known becuase of their porformance in the post season. Payton, Kidd, Davis, Bibby, Stockton, Nash ,and Parker have all been in the playoffs. Francis Miller and Marbury have either never played in the post season or have gone to the post season once (marbury). We have yet to see how Stevie and Andre Miller will perform in the playoffs, and that's what makes a franchise player. The post season. Besides that, it also depends on the players around the PG. I.E. Stockton has Malone, Kidd has Kittles, Martin and the Nets Bench, Parker has Duncun and Robinson, and Bibby has Webber, Peja, and The Kings Bench.

17. trad

trad New Member

1. Miller
    2. Kidd
    3. Payton
    4. Stockton
    5. Nash
    6. Davis
    7. Cassell
    8. Francis
    9. Brandon (if healthy)
    10. Marbury

18. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

atleast top 10

19. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

1) Kidd
    2) Payton
    3) Francis (should play SG)
    4) Davis
    5) Miller
    6) Nash
    7) Bibby
    8) Stockton
    9) Cassell
    10) Marbury

20. drapg

drapg Member

1. Kidd
    2. Payton
    3. Bibby (after his stellar postseason, he's made the jump!)
    4. Miller
    5. Davis
    6. Francis
    7. Stockton
    8. Nash
    9. Brandon (when 100% healthy)
    10. Cassell