1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

warriors pg-situation

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by nilsrock, May 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. nilsrock

nilsrock Member

I think GS has their future point in Arenas. They will have a great back court with him and Richardson. Still I see people saying they think they will draft a guard. Why would they do that?

2. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

They have Larry,Bob and Mookie too.

unless they plan on trading them, or if there FA's this coming off season, i DOnt see why they would go after a Jay Williams.

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

None of those players are any good. Larry Hughes is gone this offseason, a failed expierment at PG/SG. Bob Sura is decently effective as a bench player, and that's about it. Mookie Blaylock should've retired a couple of years ago - he's no longer effective.

That leaves Arenas. While he showed flashes late last year, he's not the answer for the future. He too is more of a combo guard, leaving Blaylock the only true PG on the roster. One of the Williamses or a Dickau would be perfect for that team.

What I don't get is why the Warriors are even looking at players like Drew Gooden when they already have another one like him in Antwan Jamison. They need a true SF (esp. one who can shoot) or a true PG (esp. one who can lead) and they need to clear some of the logjam up front to the Eastern Conference to provide some depth in the backcourt, not another player just like their franchise player!

If they could get Williams, they'd get themselves a steal. If they draft Godden, even though he is talented, it solves no problems for the Warriors and given their perception around the league, sets them back another year in rebuilding.

4. nilsrock

nilsrock Member

I think Dunlevy would be better for them then Jay Williams but that's because I belive Arenas will develope, though he's probably not gonna be as good as Williams.

5. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

I ain't a believe in Arenas, Hughes, Mookie or whatever other "point guard" they have.

They NEED Jason Williams. They would improve dramatically, and would become a team to reckon with.

PG Jay Will
    SG J Rich
    SF Jamison
    PF Fortson
    C Foyle/Dampier

Well to probably move up they'd have to sacrifice a key player, but solidifying the backcourt is a must for them to compete.

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

hoopgod13,

What kind of value does Murphy have in a move up deal for GS?

Mango

7. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

Hm...honestly...the Warriors should be happy if Murphy develops into a KT-type player. A consistent force off the bench who can provide some timely offensive rebounding and a minimal post game.

I really believe for the Warriors to move up to 1st (which the Rocks prolly won't do anywayz)...they'd have to trade away Jamison...who the Rocks might be able to use at the 3. I'm not a real big fan of Jamison tho.

I assume JRich is pretty untouchable...and I guess anybody else is fair game.

Then again, this is all just my personal opinion.

8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I am also not too crazy about AJ.

Mango

9. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

Dampier and Foyle need to go, since they need to get a more capable center.

10. nilsrock

nilsrock Member

I think Jamison is underachiving due to playing the 3 and it would benefit the warriors greatly to draft a real 3 and move him to the 4 and have fortson as an injection of the bench. They'll still be weak att center though but I can't see a way of solving that for them presently if they don't somehow manage to swap picks with the rockets. And ofcourse JRich would be the only decent player in the backcourt if Arenas turns out to be mediocre.

11. Kormelink3

Kormelink3 Member

Steve Logan.