1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA playoff schedule sucks!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by North Star, May 24, 2002.

1. North Star

North Star Contributing Member

In hockey, postseason games are played every other day. Players get limited time to rest and heal wounds which would effect their playing. That's why upsets in hockey are not unusual.

In the NBA playoffs, games are played like every 3-4 days. That's too much time between games. Games need to be played every other day like in hockey. Games on back to back nights would not hurt. Wouldn't you want to see a game where teams are playing against each other are a little banged up, sick, or not well rested? That would probably be a game instead of a blow-out. Winning championships are meant to be challenging. Longer layoffs between games makes it too easy, especially for the top seeds. With shorter layoffs, the playing field for the 16 teams in the playoffs would be leveled more. In hockey, the #8 seed Montreal Canadiens knocked off the #1 seed Boston Bruins in the first round. The rest between games was limited.

#1 North Star, May 24, 2002
    Last edited: May 24, 2002
  2. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

Haven't you got it through your head yet?? It's all a scheme to get Kobe healthly so they can win the Finals.:)

We know the NBA is a Busniess. and Business' are all about money. There just trying to get a peak viewing audience, which is actually a smart idea.

Would you wait 4 days to watch a game, get pissed off about the 4 day layoff and then not want to watch???

I doubt it. They know what there doing.

3. North Star

Yeah, I know. I wonder what the playoff schedule will be like since most of the postseason games will be on cable? Hopefully, shorter layoffs between games.

4. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

It's hard to really get into the playoffs since the layoffs are so stinkin' long. It is really annoying.

5. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

The funny thing you say about that.

i don't think games will be on cable anymore.

Tonight's game will be on NBC. And I assume the rest of the entire Eastern and Western Finals and the NBA finals will be played on NBC.

They want to take full adavatange of a friday night's audience while they can.

NBC is no longer "<b><i>NBA's official station</I></B>"

I think ABC and ESPN will take over that role.

Same o'l announcers and commentator's I assume though.
    They can work with any station's they want to.

6. Venture

Venture Member

If you think this year's playoff format sucks wait till the next six year's playoffs. Currently NBC shows up to 35 playoff games. Next year when ABC/ESPN/TNT take over, only a 12 playoff games will be shown on broadcast television. ABC will show 5 Sunday afternoon playoff games of rounds 1 and 2, zero conference final games and 7 games of the NBA finals. That means if you don't have cable you are screwed. Enjoy the playoffs while you can (if you don't have cable).

7. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

The spread between game 2 game 3 of the Kings/Lakers series was way too long.

8. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Business...nothing but business.

Just a guess, but Hockey would probably follow in the NBA's pattern if it were a bit more popular.
    No offense towards the game.........just isn't as popular, just like basketball isn't as popular as football.

9. North Star

I hope the NFL continues to schedule the Super Bowl a week after the conference championship games instead of 2 weeks. One week for players to heal and rest is little time. Teams playing each other a little banged up would probably result in sloppy play BUT close games. Take last years Super Bowl for example.

Most of the playoff games in hockey are on cable and the games are played every other day mostly. Could the same thing be said for the NBA playoffs next year when it's on cable? I hope so.