1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rockets...by the numbers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, May 20, 2002.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we are currently ranked in the league:
    points-22
    fg%-27
    3pt%-23
    ft%21
    we need a shooter, bad

our defence is ranked:
    opp fg%-28
    opp 3pt%-22
    opp ft%-16
    28th in defencive fg%?!?! we need interior D

rebs-20, opp reb-23
    blk-14, opp blk-15 finnaly something we are good in, blocking and not getting blocked

ast-29, opp ast-16 a shooter and/or big man will help steve rack up ast's

stl-27, opp stl-4
    to-10, opp to-29 we do a good job taking care of the ball but we need more pressure on stealing and forcing to's
    fouls-1, opp fouls-22 a bigman will help draw more fouls

thoughts on what we need? anything here surprise you?

2. bsb8532

bsb8532 Member

I think Ming would help out tons in FG% right off the bat and has the tools to help us with OP FG% and OP TO's.

Even in the 2000 Olympics (when Ming was only 19) where he only scored 10 ppg and 6 rpg, he still shot like 60% from the field. Give me a guy that could shoot 60% from the field against decent competition in the Olympics (at least as good as the NCAA these days....quite a few of the teams at least).

If we got Ming and he played next year I think he'd put up about those numbers. 10 ppg and 6 or 7 rpg, but if Steve and Cat can be the good persuaders they are and get him to beef up (suppossedly Ming hates lifting weights....I'm sure that will change after a beating from the likes of Shaq, Malone, Dikembe, and Duncan for a year) then I think in 2 years he'll be a 14-9 guy. In his prime he could very well be Walton like. Shoot a very high percentage, score 18 or 19 a game, get 12 or 13 rpg, and get a few blocks a game. A true center is hard to find and for every questionmark Ming has he also seems to have a positive note. Ability is what we're looking at here. If Rudy does take Ming #1 then I trust our coaching staff to know whether or not this guy can play and whether or not he would fit in our system, because if we were just drafting to trade whoever we got then we'd pick Jay Will who seems to be getting a lot more attention from teams since he's more NBA ready and a lot of teams need PG's (Warriors, Bulls, Clippers).

3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Didn't Yao average like 20+ points against the dream team the last olympics? Only reason why he had to sit was because of foul trouble due to the fact he had to help out so much of his team because they could not guard the other players. I believe he was doing quite well against the dream teamers and should do well against NBA players. He was averaging some ungodly numbers in his league. something like 38pts per game and with 76% FG and 75% FT. Of course those numbers are going to drop but proportionaly I can see him giving us 20/10 a night with good minutes.

4. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Chicago trades:
    PF Tyson Chandler (6.1 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.8 apg in 19.6 minutes)
    SF Eddie Robinson (9.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.3 apg in 22.5 minutes)

Chicago receives:
    PF Kenny Thomas (14.1 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.5 minutes)
    PF Jason Collier (4.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.4 apg in 14.6 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.6 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 25.5 minutes)
    Houston's #15

Change in Chicago outlook: +9.8 ppg, +10.0 rpg, and +0.6 apg.
    Change in Houston outlook: -9.8 ppg, -10.0 rpg, and -0.6 apg.
    TRADE ACCEPTED

Drool:D