1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antonio McDyess??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mj186, May 20, 2002.

1. mj186

mj186 Member

Would you trade the #1 and Maurice Taylor and possibly the 15th for Antonio McDyess and the #5?

Reasons for the trade.

Rockets:
    Need a big inside threat to help compliment Franchise and Cat. They need a bonafide rebounder and low post threat. Taylor will never fill that role since he is a jump shooter. Also, I think Taylor maybe out of shape because of his injury and will take a while to get back into basketball shape. McDyess have showned interest in the Rockets before signing with Denver because we signed Pippen. He was injured last year, but he has showned that he can produce in the playoffs and the season. Healthy, McDyess can be a 20-10 guy and can play defense. He will compliment Cato since McDyess can play both side of the floor with passion. Then with the 5th pick we can pick up a small forward. I am thinking of choosing Qyntel Woods, the next McGrady. He has shown a lot of potential and would run quite well with Franchise and Cat. In my opinion, in a few years he would develop into a better Lamar Odom. With this deal, we can possibly have a playoff berth next season and we can give Vancouver a bad pick in the first round.

Denver:
    Why would Denver do this?? Here's why....
    Antonio is a free agent after next season and will probably not sign back with Denver unless they improve. Antonio will then want a sign and trade deal, but will probably get less than we are offering. Antonio is supposedly an untouchable, but if Franchise starts talking and wooing McDyess to leave Denver and come to Rockets, Denver will have no choice but agree. McDyess wants to win and can win with the Rockets since he does have an All-Star in Franchise. Denver will get Taylor who can replace McDyess. Not really, but he will be able to score consistently, at least 15 points and 5 rebounds. Taylor has potential and have improved. Then with the 1st pick in the draft, they can use it to draft a big man since they lost Lafrentz or they can trade it off. As read in other threads, they can get Spree or Finley. Denver will get a good SF and a decent PF in Taylor.

Offseason:
    The Rockets will have Kenny to back up McDyess and I would tell Griffin to try and become a true SF. Griffin has a lot of untapped potential. I went to the Lakers game where he had his breakout game. He blocked Shaq and showed a lot of potential. However, he shoots way too many 3s. He needs to work on his offensive game, putting the ball on the floor, hitting the mid-range shots, and posting up. Defensively he is outstanding!!! I love the way he helps out on defense and his ability to block shots. He is too small physically to play the 4 and might be too slow to play the 3, but with the way the NBA is going, he will be okay since SF are getting slower and taller.

Future Lineup
    Cato/Collier
    McDyess/Thomas
    Woods/Griffin/Rice
    Mobley/Torres
    Francis/Norris

2. brocktoon

brocktoon Contributing Member

For the record, I really think that the Rockets should draft Ming and then try to move their 15th pick up a little bit to try to get one of the better SF's.

However, I did think about the McDyess possibilities, and I think deal like this would work cap-wise:

Houston trades:
    1st pick
    Mo Taylor
    Moochie Norris
    Kevin Willis

Denver trades:
    5th Pick
    Antonio McDyess
    Tim Hardaway

Although it works cap-wise, I'm still not sure I would do this deal (if I'm either team).