1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He has to stop shaq . . ..
    QUESTION: WHO HAS STOPPED SHAQ THAT IS IN THE LEAGUE??
    QUESTION: WHO IN THIS DRAFT WILL STOP SHAQ?

Beyond Tim Duncan most folx don't even come close to stopping shaq

He is the next Shawn Bradley?
    BETTER THAN THE NEXT JOE BARRY CARROL!!!
    JOE SMITH!!
    Hell How long ago was Kandi man a #1 pick?
    Kwame Brown ain't the Dominate big man
    Ming will not be great next year. . . but beyond shaq
    Name some big men in recent history that came in and
    became a 20/10 center?

Chinese Govt won't let him come to Houston.
    Some odd reason i think they will
    [like i felt we would get the #1 pick in the draft]
    The Rockets/Mavs games will be MARQUEE GAMES over there
    and they would have it 4 times a year plus maybe 4 times in
    a playoff series
    Then Ming still would play Denver [Bateer?] So the dynamics of
    Him being in the midwest division is kewl from their stand points.

HE will be a bust
    Hell anyone those guys could be a bust
    From a Business stand point it is a slam dunk
    Global Pub
    Global Marketing

Rocket River
    MING IT DAMMIT!!

2. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

Another Ming myth: that 'Ming' is his last name.

It's not. His first name is Ming and his last is Yao.

3. TexasG

TexasG Member

I don't think the main concern should be if he's allowed to join the Rockets because obviously they will. The main concern should be when will he be allowed to join the Rockets. The thing with the Chinese Gov. is that they want all of their players (especially Yao, and Wang) to participate on the Chinese National Team. Last week the Chinese Gov. stated that they may not allow Wang to come back to the NBA because they are upset with the amount of fun Wang is having here, and they are upset at the fact that Wang wants to be in the Mavs training camp, and summer league squad this off season. Yao may have potential but that potential can only be realized with the proper coaching from the Rockets or any other team that drafts him. In my opinion that's too big a risk to take with the #1 overall pick.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I THINK I agree with you here. I have gone back and forth over this since yesterday evening. But the WORST possible scenario is that we draft a guy who NEVER shows up. The #1 pick in the draft doesn't come around often...you need to draft someone you're CERTAIN will at least show up...with Yao, that's quite uncertain.

I think I'd like to see them trade this pick, assuming they can get some package of players that includes a big man who can be a LEGIT defensive presence...someone who can bang a bit. And then hopefully still end up with a high enough draft pick to address their small forward problems (which seems likely given the depth at that position in this draft). Those are my feelings right now...they're subject to be changed.

5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fine. Why not just have training camp in China? Show of solidarity, big marketing plus. A two-week working vacation. The guys would certainly focus more. Maybe it would work like going to Galveston used to.
    ;)

6. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

you know, pasox, I actually sort of like that idea. The Chinese would eat that up. The only problem is Yao still wouldn't be free. I'm sure they only intend to keep him for games, and have every intention of sending him back once he's 'fulfilled his obligations.' The Rockets could go over to China and watch Yao play, but I doubt he'd be free other than halftimes to train with the team. :)

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I never said it was his last name. . .
    and ACTUALLY it is his last name .. . it is not his SURNAME

Rocket River