1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IF we get Ming, here's what we need at the 3-spot...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JAG, May 20, 2002.

1. JAG

JAG Member

Okay, for argument's sake, let's take a look at this team if we get Ming...( Yes, this is all hypothetical, and surmise, but based on reports, this is how I see it..)

C) Ming, Cato, etc..

Strengths) Shot-blocking(!), defense, rebounding, at least decent inside scoring, mid-to outside shooting.

Weaknesses) Durability, foul trouble, low-post positioning against bigger guys (at least initally), lack of refined post-move.

Overall) Cato's presence will still be important as a very good backup center to bring in when Ming gets into inevitable foul trouble early on, and in some ways provides a poor-man's version of what Ming will bring, minus the mid-range game.

PF) Griffin, Taylor, Thomas...

Strengths) Am counting Griff as a 4, as that is where his future lies, and along with him, the Rox future...As such, our strengths are..Mid-to outside shooting, shotblocking, rebounding.

Weaknesses) Post offense, post defense, floor game, and consistency.

Overall) Hard to say what, if any, the impact of Taylor's reported weight gain will be, but even if he's back, Fast Eddie is our future at the 4 alongside Ming. With Cato and Taylor, we have two very expensive but very capable backups in the frontcourt, so Ming's acquisition and Griffin's development add a strong front bench, among other things.

SF) Thomas, Rice, Morris...

Strengths) Iso offense, hustle, potential floor game, potential outside shooting, potential defense...

Weaknesses) Probable huge defensive weakness, potential outside shooting weakness, potential floor game weakness, consistency.

Overall) Hardest position to evaluate, and actually the subject of this post in a second or three...There are 3 guys who, for varying reasons, can't be counted on as starting 3 material, but all of whom bring different potential to the table. Thomas isn't starting 3 stuff on a good team, and will have real problems guarding quicker small forwards, but is also the most dependable of the bunch. RIce is old, slow, and coming off a season-ending injury, but might provide the strongest single element, shooting, of the 3 of them. Morris has the potential to be the right fit, but hasn't shown anything yet which would make you want to count on him...All told, if we get Ming, this is where we have to turn next...

SG) Mobley, Torres, Francis...

Strengths) Scoring, shooting,athleticism, endurance...

Weaknesses) Defense, floor game, decision-making.

Overall) Biggest upside/downside position on the Rockets, as Mobes brings great offense, eak defense, but is a solid part of the team's near future.

PG) Francis, Norris, Brown...

Strengths) Scoring, athleticism, rebounding, energy.

Weaknesses) Defense, decision-making, health concerns, team play.

Overall) Much like SG, at this point pg brings us very well defined strengths and weaknesses, but all told, Steve is still The Man.

Okay, so what does that leave us with, overall? In my mind, the clearest single need we have, if we add Ming, is a perimeter defender, of which we have none. Not one. That's scary. Morris COULD be the guy, but I would want to address the need with something a little more dependable, and if he develops, gravy.

With this in mind, I feel that with the 15th pick, Kenny Thomas, and whatever other commodities we'll have to offer, we address our need by getting a SF who has the following attributes...

Perimeter defense, athleticism, toughness, and if he can shoot from the outside, so much the better. Looking at who might be available, I have come to the following conclusions..

1) IF we can't work out a trade, the guy I'm looking at with the 15th pick is...Chris Jeffries, out of Frsno St. Couple him with Morris for the future, and we have the defense playing, high energy type of role-playing 3's this team needs as the final piece to the puzle to compliment Ming, Francis, Griffin, Mobley, etc. Yeah, sure, outside shooting would be nice too, but we're okay there with Francis, Mobley, and Griff ( not to mention Ming) and it's not nearly as glaring a need as perimeter defense. My concern is that if we have Rice, Thomas, or another matador at the 3. alongside with Stevie and Cuttino, our big guys will get into so much foul trouble that we'll only have them for half a game every night. I also think that an Odom-like ballhandler would be nice, but secondary to our defensive defficiencies.

However, I am interested to know if others see things as I do, and if so, who else migh fillthe need, either through trade, or other draft prospects I've overlooked.