1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nowitzki-Garnett 1:0

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 21, 2002.

Tags:
  1. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

sigh

Garnett did inded guard Dirk some of the time...but not nearly as much as you all make it out to be. Pretty much all of the minutes Joe Smith played, he played guarding Dirk Nowitzki. Nesterovic also played minutes guarding Dirk. KG took most of the minutes that Smith and Nesterovic weren't guarding Dirk, while Mitchell and Wally guarded him the remaining minutes.

#61 vj23k, May 1, 2002
    Last edited: May 1, 2002
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Okay, you've got it all figured out...the Wolves didn't lose because Dirk was so good. They lost because they were guarding each other :).

3. cOoL_hEaT

cOoL_hEaT New Member

Um, excuse me but when exactly did the wolves show up to the games? Garnett did get some help from sczerbiak and in the game i saw which was game 2, anthony peeler also had 25 points. And for a team with such "great defence" they allowed the mavs score 112ppg in the series. Great defence huh?

4. vj23k

eh, guess I should have proofread that.

:)

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Wait, I thought it was Nowitzki, not Garnett, who always took the easy defensive assignments?

6. vj23k

I never said anything about that Freak...

Anyway, The Wolves, without Brandon, probably realized that the offense would run through KG even more often than ever...Therefore, they decided to conserve his energy.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You do know that Brandon only started 28 games this year, right? They've been playing without him the whole year, this was nothing new.

8. Major

Major Member

Maybe it's just me, but seems to me if a player is absolutely destroying you (Dirk), and you have a great defensive player at the same position (KG), you try putting him on that guy. Who exactly did KG guard during this series? And why?

9. dirtyfithynasty

It seems like you guys are forgetting something. You guys are faulting Dirk for having good teammates. What you need to remember is that Kevin Garnett's contract is what keeps Minnesota from getting another great player and it is what keeps them from getting into the second round. All of you that say you would rather have KG than Dirk, if you count salaries which one would you rather build your team around? If Garnett restructured his contract he could get some help that might eliminate some of the double teams that come his way. If he doesn't then he can keep expecting to be a lower seed in the first round and he will assure himself of a first round exit for many years to come.