1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Observations on Historic leagues

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Castor27, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Today I have simmed thru a couple of seasons of a historical League. I started in the year 1957 at a request from DV so that I could see if franchise moves are automatically done by the program. What i found is that it is not done at all. So for our league we will have to handle frachise moves and expansion manually. I am posting this info mainly so we can start looking ahead to when franchises make moves and when new teams are added to the league so we can be historically correct. Expansion is actually easy to add. In the league setup menu you just have to go to league structure and then import a team. Name the year you are importing for and then it will give you a list of teams for that year. For instance in 1962 you can import the Astros and Mets. They com into the league with their 1962 rosters. You can do the same with franchise moves but when you import them it will change the current roster. The best way to do this I found was to manually change the names in the team setup screen.

As A side note some of the team names in 1905 are different. For instance the Cleveland club(I know dean the Wakefields) are actually the Naps and one of the boston teams is the Pilgrims(AL) and the other is the BEaneaters(NL). And also the NYY were known as the Highlanders. We will also get a guy as a rookie next season named Snake Deal :)

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

As A side note some of the team names in 1905 are different. For instance the Cleveland club(I know dean the Wakefields) are actually the Naps and one of the boston teams is the Pilgrims(AL) and the other is the BEaneaters(NL). And also the NYY were known as the Highlanders. We will also get a guy as a rookie next season named Snake Deal

The historic league loses something if we don't use the cool olde-timey names. We're using real player names, right? I mean, I don't think Mordeci "Three Finger" Brown is all of a sudden going to be renamed Cuttino Mobley. So why not keep the real team names? Then when the Highlanders become the Yankees (for example), the sim team's name can change, too. And when the teams move (Brooklyn to LA, for example), we follow that as well.

Importing the rosters for the expansion teams might not work. Like when the Astros and Mets were added, wasn't there an expansion draft? I would think that a straight roster import would mean we'd have duplicate players, since their old teams would still have that player, too. For example, if we were simming the season where the Dbacks were added, they drafted Abreu from the Astros. So if you imported that roster, we'd have 2 Bobby Abreus in the game (unless you forced the team currently owning him to give him up).

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sammy,

That is kinda what I figured as well(duplicate players). I did not look at the teams though to see if that happened I will play a little more with that in the next couple of days.

4. haven

haven Member

we're going to have a real expansion draft for new teams.