1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why we overlook the horrible year artest is having

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Nov 30, 2008.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

He's still adjusting to the offense and the team. You can't expect him to come in at a moment's notice and be able to compensate for all the Rockets' injured players.

Thats a fairly premature sentiment considering he's having to continually adjust to lineup changes. He hasnt even been given a chance to establish his role and you're giving up on him. Why don't you give him the benefit of the doubt? If I recall correctly, last year, he single-handedly brought the Kings back from a near 20 pt deficit in the 4th quarter during our 22 game winning streak.

And you dont think Artest is that good? Whether you like it or not, he's one of the best 2-way players in the game. And even if you regret his acquisition, you need to consider that when we acquired him, that meant no one else could. Can you imagine what would happen if the Lakers had picked him up? They'd easily be a 70-win team.

This Tmac "on one leg" bit really is r****ded. Has he really been hopping around on one leg during games? No. He has a weak knee. And it doesn't matter how weak anyone thinks it is, its not weak enough to prevent him from playing games.

Seems to me like you just want to make Tmac seem tougher than he actually is. Or maybe you just like to embellish. In your opinion, did Kobe play last year's finals using only his left hand? Did Battier play on one leg against the Spurs? Is Yao playing on one leg?

2. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Think maybe I'll sit courtside next game and throw some beer on Ron Ron and see if it increases his FG%. :D

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Good idea. And as an added bonus, hospitals have internet so you'll be able to check his stats as soon as you regain consciousness.

4. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Um. Ron Artest is a DEFENSIVE player. He has given us great defense. We should never have to depend on him as an offensive player to win.

The fault is Adelman's.

For example, when our second unit crept close to the Nuggets tonight, Adelman comes out on a timeout with his struggling starters. Look, Yao didn't have it tonight and he was a distraction. Adelman should have stuck with his second unit.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i think he'll play better b/c he does force some shots. but like i said a million times, his finishing ability is worse than rafer and yao. that's not going to change. at best, he should post up with the 2nd unit, and be a spot up shooter primarily when playing with tracy and yao.

i'm not giving up on him in terms of what he can help us. i'm sure he'll provide toughness, defense, intangibles...

but i will give up on him in terms of him being that 3rd guy to step up consistently in the playoffs where if tracy or yao struggles, we'll give the ball to ron and he'll dominate. i dont' think he can be that guy. his playmaking ability is poor (he was never a playmaker and that's what he has to be if tracy is not playing at his best). i think it's time we establish luis scola as a 3rd option b/c he can post up very effectively and hit the mid-range J.

the lakers wanted him for his defense. we picked him up for his offense. lakers and rockets have 2 different reasons for picking him. so yes, if artest was on the lakers, he would be the 4th/5th option and yes, that role might fit him better b/c he's not a 3rd option type of guy right now on a great team.

why should i embellish anything regards to tracy? tracy has struggled mightily this year and has frustrated basically every rocket fan, including me. all i'm saying is it tells us how poorly ron is playing right now b/c we're all saying tracy sucks, and yet ron's stats are even worse. that's all it is.

i hope i'm wrong, i really do. but right now, i don't see how his finishing and playmaking ability will get better. i really don't. his jumper might get better

the only way ron will get better is if his role is diminished much much more to a 4th option even. i really think scola should have a bigger role on this team offensively than artest.

6. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Anyone saying to get mike miller instead of artest is crazy. We win with defense. We've never been a team that just outscores you. Artest is a much better fit on this team because he will help us when it matters most: In the playoffs.

7. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

If he plays better I'll take one for the team. :)

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Basketball is a team sport. You wont have much success if you want the Rockets to run a series of isolation plays.

Absolutely wrong. There is no way we pick up a former DPOY without factoring in his defensive abilities. If we wanted only offense, we would've paid attention to other players out there (i.e. Ricky Davis).

I think he is. The problem is that he's not being asked to be the 3rd option right now. Currently, he's asked to be either the first or second option on a team that he's unfamiliar with.

When Tmac plays poorly, he plays poor in every aspect of the game. When Artest plays poorly, his defense is still top notch.

Also, different salaries lead to different expectations. Keep that in mind. Not to mention that we kept Tmac at the cost of Billups & Rip.

Why don't you watch some footage of his Sacramento days? That'll show you how his game could improve.

Improve performance by limiting usage? I think you're confusing Ron Artest with Luther Head.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

1) ron artest did put up 20 ppg on 45% shooting (which is better than what ricky davis has done). ron's offense was a huge reason why we picked him up. go dig up morey's press conference regarding this pick up. it was to be that "3rd option" to help tracy and yao, moreso than his DPOY.

again, i'm sure he'll improve. he can't play this bad b/c his play right now is beyond atrocious. he can't suck this much more. there is only one way to go and that's up. so of course he'll get better. we'll see how much better? i hope he really becomes much better b/c 14 ppg on 34% shooting is just beyond atrocious.

if you're a star, usually a bad 4-5 game is understandable. this has been an 18-game stretch. if he wants to show signs of turning it around, it better be soon.

tracy is frustrated with putting up 16ppg on 41% shooting. however, from ron's reaction, he seems fine with shooting 34% from his recent interview. that's not right. our team is nearly dead last in fg%. this is a really disturbing statistic.

10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I'm kind of worried we are still shooting so badly!

11. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Not true, look at the number of negative threads about him, so people have taken notice that he's not played up to expectations. He might not be a fit with Yao, he is shooting 34% from within 10 feet of the basket and 34% from right under the basket, meaning he's missing a lot of layups and close in shots. Yao draws defenders closer to the basket than Brad Miller did in Sacramento resulting in more contested shots for Artest under the basket.

12. count_dookoo

count_dookoo Member

You're delirious, my friend...

Regarding Ron's play, he gets blamed less for his offensive struggles, because the effort and intesity he brings on the court. That's not to say that i agree that he should get a free pass, but i'll wait until february-march to objectively evaluate what he can and cannot brign to the team.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He plays defense. Plays hurt and doesn't "shut it down" because he is sore.

Yes, offensively he has sucked but he tries. That's more than we can say for everyone on the team.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why would Minnesota make that deal?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Artest is an expiring contract.

DD

16. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

dada...you are on the money on all of this concerning ron ron

17. DaDakota

Thanks denniscd,

It is amazing that people think you can just put three great individual players together and they will win, it doesn't work like that you need complimentary components to your game to work properly.

TMac and Artest occupy the same role essentially, both needing the ball, and both trying to drive the paint where we have a 7 foot 6 inch lane clogger.

This is an oil and water experiment....you could not put Wilt, Kareem and Dream on the same team and expect to win.....it just doesn't work that way.

There are several ways to go to fix it.

1. Get a quality PG that can hit the open 3 and penetrate and dish - not likely

2. Get a quality SG like Mike Miller who moves without the ball and compliments both Yao and Tmac's games.

3. Get a PF that can stretch the defense with the 3 ball....

The issue is Yao....TMac is more adaptable, but if you are going to have Yao on your team, you need to surround him with players that COMPLIMENT his game, and the fact that teams double team and front him......that means long range shooting and players that move off the ball.

The Rockets roster, as it is assembled does not work....IMO.

The only possible way it could work is if Tmac or Ron adjust their games and move off the ball...I believe Tmac could do this....but I don't think Ron has it in him.....to me....Artest is an expiring contract.....at a reasonable rate....get Mike Miller.

DD

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

WE MUST WE MUST WE WOULD WE SHOULD

you do what you want. "we" will do what we want. I don't think it's unreasonable to give Ron a longer grace period before jumping on the "Ron Sucks" bandwagon.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if ron artest never ever ever ever shoots off the dribble, he could be a 50% shooter from the field.

20. DaDakota

I don't mind a longer grace period, but to me Tmac and Ron in the linuep at the same time (which they are not right now) is a problem.

If Ron goes to the bench, and works with AB and the crew it might work....but Tmac and Ron.......IMO, don't mix well.

DD