1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A COMPLETE AND UTTER OUTRAGE!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HOOP-T, Apr 1, 2000.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

What a farce....the NBA is the most boneheaded organization in sports today. A pure laugher.....read on.

HOUSTON, TX. -- Hakeem Olajuwon is no longer one of the NBA's 50 Greatest players.
    The Houston Rockets All-Star center was removed from the NBA's 50 Greatest list early Saturday morning, confirmed NBA officials.

"We review it every season but there has never been a need to make any changes," said NBA Deputy Commissioner Russ Granik. "This is one change that needed to be made."

Olajuwon, 37, was diagnosed on March 1 with a disease that restricts the flow of air through his bronchial passages during heavy exercise, causing spasms in his lungs. He has been taking medicine for the condition.

His numbers this season have significantly decreased as a result.

Replacing Olajuwon on the NBA's list will be 21-year old Laker forward Kobe Bryant. Bryant had no comment on the news, but through his agent did say he hoped this would land him a contract with shoe giant Nike.

Granik cited Bryant's high NBC points average as the prime reason the move needed to be made.

Other changes made to the list included Kevin Garnett replacing Kevin McHale, Vince Carter moving over Scottie Pippen and Jason Williams swapping places with Bob Cousy.

Michael Olowokandi, Antoine Walker and Juwan Howard are all expected to receive the honor next season.

The league released a formal apology for placing Pippen on the list, and also announced that Shaquille O'Neal has drawn closer to actually earning his Top 50 status.

In unrelated news, the league confirmed that Lenny Wilkens is being strongly considered for the Lottery Hall of Fame.

Complete changes to NBA's 50 Greatest List

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

2. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Clutch, all I can say is that you are the man. Wow, that is certainly classic.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Yeah, happy April 1st. Man I was pissed!

------------------
    HOOP-T

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

This is all Rudy's fault.

Remove him from the Olympics now please.
    Juwon Howard rulz.

Oh, and Carter sjhould replace Jordon.

------------------
    Hey Partner says : Webber = a 2001 Rocket!!
    U heard it here first!!??!!1010111001!!

5. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

I like CriscoKidd's idea get Jordan off the list

------------------
    ~John~
    "If you make it idiot proof they will make a better idiot."
    JohnyRocket's Fan Site

6. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

This was a good one Clutch. Not as good as last year's - changing the clutch city site to a Spurs website. My personal favorite April fool's joke was the headline that Hakeem officially retired. I remember seeing that and having a complete breakdown. Then when I found out it was a hoax, I died laughing with relief. Clutch you are the Man!

------------------
    www.takeoutmusic.com- the future of independent music

7. Skinner

Skinner Member

Liked the joke, but I wanted to see the revised list. Lots of potential there

------------------
    Bring guns, drugs and lawyers, the s**t has hit the fan. -Aspen Gun Club Motto

8. Johnny Rocket

My favorite was the first one I saw and that was the one where Rudy T calls it quits b/c of arguements with Barkley over beeting the suns when barkley was with them (or something like that). Last year at this time I was only a casual viewer of the site and just happened to come on april fools day and saw the spurs crap and said to myself oh he changed the site b/c of Elie that sucks. It was a month before I returned and I was so happy to see it had returned to Houston.

------------------
    ~John~
    JohnyRocket's Fan Site

9. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Great job , Clutch! Can't wait 'til next year's. [​IMG]

Happy April Fool's Day!

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... next year, at least. :(

10. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Damn that was good Clutch. Good thing I actually opened up the article and realized it was a farce before taking the next flight into New York and kicking he crap out of David Stern for the greatest injustice in the history of sports.

But as soon as I read this, "Other changes made to the list included Kevin Garnett replacing Kevin McHale, Vince Carter moving over Scottie Pippen and Jason Williams swapping places with Bob Cousy.

Michael Olowokandi, Antoine Walker and Juwan Howard are all expected to receive the honor next season,"
    I knew it was a joke.

That was good Clutch. [​IMG]

Azim da Dream

------------------
    True champions do not take their failures to heart and never let success go to their heads.

11. Old School

Old School Member

Don't give the NBA any crazy ideas...with the way Hakeem is playing they might pull a fast one on us.

Old School

------------------
    Just Build It!

12. Johnny Rocket

they dont rf34 it was done to celebrate the nba turning 50 another words it was the 50 greatest players for the first 50 years

------------------
    ~John~
    JohnyRocket's Fan Site

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

LOL, This is too funny [​IMG]

14. IA Rocket

IA Rocket Contributing Member

Good one Clutch. I was prepared this year. The worst one was the Olajuwon retiring April Fools. I nearly died over that one.

------------------
    member of the Quitten hateclub

15. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

LOL...that was funny Clutch...however I thought something was wrong before the page was loaded as I saw cc.net url and espn background. I was like how'd he do that?

I hope none of the NBA actually sees this as I don't want to give them any ideas with Dream doing so horrible.

Any one actually knows if they do revise it really every year?

------------------
    Check out the best source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Man, I wish I had clicked on the link to see the revised changes before I got raging mad and posted anything.

I always forget about April 1st....but I think I fell for the Spurs website thing last year too.

Geeeeeze!!!!

------------------
    HOOP-T

17. Johnny Rocket

The one I totally fell for was the Spurs. I thought it was true and then you got sick of the spurs and went back to the Rox. It wasnt until I started posting on the BBS that I found out that it was a joke. I thought the Rudy T was quiting was good and the entire time I was reading it I was like no this cant be true. This year I didnt fall one bit b/c I logged on first thing in the morning expecting the joke. As for the Hakeem Retiring one I missed tha year.

------------------
    ~John~
    Is it any coincidence that the Bull is one of only three NBA players with a team named after him? I dont think so!!!!
    JohnyRocket's Fan Site