1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy's Shot - Frame Review (Proof!)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by laneh, Nov 8, 2008.

Tags:
?

Should .8 seconds be replayed at the beginning of the next Blazers matchup?

1. No, let it go. Roy's shot was a great one and he deserves credit.

84 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes. It was an unreasonable reaction time and homecourt adv. is a huge factor

112 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. laneh

laneh Member

I hate to stir this up, but this is what diehard fans do. Even though Refs are afforded a degree of discretion in determining what is a "reasonable" reaction time, the Rockets deserve a "reasonable" review. The next time we play the Blazers, .8 seconds should be REPLAYED.

.8 Seconds - Roy catches and sets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.8 Seconds - Roy shoots the ball (this is a bet later in his shot than what is in the Hollinger post earlier)

[​IMG]

.7 Seconds - Roy releasing in mid-air

[​IMG]

So according to a reasonable timekeeper, it takes .1 seconds to catch, land, turn, jump and shoot. SWEET!!!

2. laneh

laneh Member

The most interesting part:

Look at the entire SECOND drop in the actual video player at NBA.com. :D

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Awesome. Great work!

4. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

T-mac defense is still terrible.

5. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

I don't like your poll answers but I voted no, not because Roy deserves credit for something he didn't do but because its part of the past now. Next time let's just beat the living **** out them next time to prevent the possibility of something like this.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Tmac guards him, he doesn't make that shot....or he has to catch it much further out.

Lesson learned, I HOPE !

DD

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No one disputed that the clock started late. The question is whether 0.8 seconds elapsed between when he received the ball and when he released it. The league reviewed it yesterday and concluded that the sequence lasted 23 frames of a 30 fps clip. That means it was just under 0.8 seconds.

8. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Indeed

9. laneh

laneh Member

I didn't know that - and b/c the NBA probably has better technology than NBA.com Video / MS Paint, I'll trust that frame analysis!

10. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

imho it was artest's assignment. it seems like the plan was that mcgrady and artest communicated that t-mac should cover the right side in case the ball is thrown there while artest was responsible for the left side. it was a miscomunication. but when the ball is thrown in, artest is much closer to roy than t-mac. there was no time to pass the ball so artest should have switched to roy immediately.

just saying t-mac's defense is terrible right now seems too simple. i mean, it is terrible, but on that play it was a miscommunication and partly artest's fault as well.

11. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

It is somewhat unpleasant to harp upon the past, yet we all know that a difference of one game in the west could have changed the entire playoff rankings and consequently who faced Boston and became the champions.

One game is not so trivial that we should just forget about it.

12. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

No! You NEVER switch if there is no pick. That play is representative of his whole career ... too lazy to play hard all the time so that his teams never fully succeed.

13. ekim

ekim Member

I still blame it on Tmac.

You can't really expect the time keeper to have a 0.001 reaction speed...

14. Asian Sensation

If he's from Houston you can.

15. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

It was a overtime game and TMAC played 44 min. He's tired and didn't "commit" to chasing Roy because he "thought" Artest was going to switch (notice his wave when Roy took off).

I won't say if TMAC as on him that he automatically won't make the shot but it would have been harder. That was a hugh lucky shot and if TMAC make the same game winning shot in the same fashion it would still be a lucky shot.

It's took bad they lost but that's why they play the game!

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Just let it go. Even with the bad defense, that shot does not go in 9 out of 10 times.

17. sweatseek

sweatseek Member

I would say 99 out of 100 times, :cool:

18. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

We should be thankful this isn't a game 7.

19. ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLoco Member

I heard that on the radio. 24/30 frames is .8 seconds. Roy caught the ball, turned, and shot in 23 frames. So the basket was good.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

lets move on from this. it was only the 5th game of the year.