1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem gets a "dream" role...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by huby_n1, Mar 10, 2002.

1. huby_n1

huby_n1 Member

off the bench, that is.

http://waymoresports.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=waymoresports/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1015714999226&call_page=WM_Raptors&call_pageid=979061475221&call_pagepath=Raptors/Raptors

------------------------------------------------------
    ORLANDO, Fla. — In the prime of his brilliant NBA career, Hakeem Olajuwon battled the greatest centres of the era and often won.

Now, he's going to get a chance to beat up on some backups.

The veteran Toronto Raptor pivot will be coming off the bench for the rest of the regular season, coach Lenny Wilkens figures, in order to take advantage of what should be a huge edge in skill over whichever second-stringer Olajuwon should happen to face.

"When he comes in, we want to go to him," Wilkens said of Olajuwon, who had his best game in weeks with 13 points and seven rebounds in 24 minutes of Friday's win in Miami. "Our first group (which includes Keon Clark at centre and Jerome Williams at small forward) gives us some quickness and then I bring Dream in and the other team's second-line guy can't be as good as him. He can't."

Not surprisingly, Olajuwon's great outing on Friday came at the expense of one of those less-than-solid backups. He simply abused Vladimir Stepania for long stretches and that gave Olajuwon enough confidence, and the Raptors enough confidence, too, to get him the ball even when he was being guarded by all-star Alonzo Mourning.

For his part, Olajuwon said he really doesn't care whether he starts games but he does want to contribute whenever he gets on the court.

"To me, what's important is that when I'm on the floor I must touch the ball," said Olajuwon, adding the team's offence seems to work more efficiently when it's based on an inside-out attack. "Before, by not being a factor in the offence, I couldn't play my role to the fullest.

"It's understood now that when you come off the bench, you go to the guy who comes in. The key is when you're out there, to be used properly."

The changes in the starting lineup were made to help energize the Raptors at the beginning of games because slow starts have been one of the team's big downfalls. Allegedly, with Clark and Williams on the floor, the Raptors will be able to play at a fast enough tempo so teams won't get out to big leads, which would have a detrimental impact on Toronto's rather fragile mental makeup.

"Jerome has that energy, he's going to be on the boards, he's going to get to the basket, get some points," said Wilkens. "And then, now, I've got two guys (on the bench in Morris Peterson and Olajuwon) who I can bring in and who can come in and give us some offence."

Williams was limited to just 16 minutes against Miami because of foul trouble but he did provide a toughness that's often been lacking in the Raptors. And that's what he vows to bring the rest of the season.

"I just did what the team asked me to do, no layups (for the opponents without a price being paid)," he said. "I got some fouls and it took me out of the game, but I did my job."

2. Timing

Timing Member

"To me, what's important is that when I'm on the floor I must touch the ball," said Olajuwon, adding the team's offence seems to work more efficiently when it's based on an inside-out attack. "Before, by not being a factor in the offence, I couldn't play my role to the fullest.

"It's understood now that when you come off the bench, you go to the guy who comes in. The key is when you're out there, to be used properly."

Well it only took half a season for Hakeem to explain to the fans of Toronto how the offense should work inside-out. LOL

3. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

i feel sorry for hakeem.

:(

4. BullRider

BullRider Member

poor hakeem. but its not like we didnt see this coming :(

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Well, Timing, that is how the offense should work. Any top 50 player should get to touch the ball on every possession.

6. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

No, any current top 50 player should.

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I just don't understand the Raptors' thinking. How do they expect the Dream to be successful if he doesn't touch the ball? The guy is completely frozen out of almost every Toronto possession, yet they expect him to still put up 15-10! Hakeem needs the ball. The Raptors have yet to realize what the Rockets learned a bit too late last season. Hakeem should get the ball in the post at least every three possessions. It opens up everything else on the court.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I actually think Olajuwon can be effective without the ball, as a 17 ft jump shooter.

He might b**** and moan about it, but that is the one thing he still can do on offense.

9. Timing

Timing Member

ZRB I think they want him to do things like going to the offensive boards, move without the ball, set picks, play defense... that kinda stuff that mediocre players do.

Where is Treeman? I think the above quote is indicative of how bad an idea it would be to bring Hakeem back.

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

Hakeem got the ball a lot in the Magic-Raptors game tonight. What happened? A 1-8 shooting effort with 3-4 of those being standing rejections by Ewing and McGrady. Hakeem was ABUSED by Ewing tonight on both ends of the court and showed why he shouldn't be getting the touches in Toronto.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Not to mention a blown layup after a nice pass from childs, a bad lazy pass that led to a turnover, and a just lethargic effort by him.

After he kept screwing up, yeah, they stopped going to him.

In general, if you want to win, you tend to pass it to people that will finish layups and be able to pass it back to you if they get doubled. :rolleyes:

Keon kicked ass in the little time I got to see him play though.

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Every newbie should just read this and they know what ZRB's all about. ;)

13. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Well today versus Horace Grant's backup on the Magic, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem was 1-8 in 14 minutes with 6 rebounds, 4 PF and 2 TO's. Vince Carter and Antonio Davis had off games (not as bad as Hakeem's), but the Magic defense may have had something to do with that.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, bringing Dream off the bench is not at all a bad idea. I kind of wish Rudy had tried it, but the public backlash he might have received essentially benching Houston's greatest and most popular player would have been hard to swallow. But while Dream was here, I would have had no problem going to him every possession while Steve and Mobley get some rest (of which they STILL don't get enough). Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. If you had asked me last season if Dream would have accepted a "spark off the bench" role, I would have sworn up and down he never would have gone for it. Perhaps he is a bit more open to changes than I gave him credit for.

15. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Raven, I don't think he has much of a choice. I hope he does well within his role though.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he has a choice as to whether or not he will complain and b**** about it, which he seems to not be doing at this point in time. I would have thought otherwise as early as a week ago. Makes me wonder if he would have accepted such a role on the Rockets (even if he had, he still wanted more $$$ than he was worth).

17. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Great players earn their shots by making them and making passes. Demanding touches? What Top-50 successful player has ever <i>needed</i> to demand touches? Trust is to be earned, not demanded, I don't care who you are, Barkley, CBrown, Hakeem, Jordan, whoever. Teammates pass to you because it actually works, not because it should conceptually work. You don't get passes for a good stretch of games last year, or in 1996.

Ugh. My man Hakeem is roughing it HARD in Toronto, really hard. Hey Hakeem: Hightail it home and lets move on to Chapter 2, tentatively titled: Hakeem Tutors Under Rudy T. For Five Years And Then Becomes Head Coach/Mayor.

cbfc

18. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Well said CBrownFanClub.....except the 2nd paragraph. ;)

Honestly, at this point in his career it really doesn't matter whether he comes off the bench or starts.
    And I wish he would realize that he'd be a lot more effective if he stayed in the 15 foot area waiting for guard penetration so he can receive the open mid-range jump shot.

Hakeem, Ewing, and all other similiar players.........Please retire.

19. LEWIS LLOYD2

LEWIS LLOYD2 Member

I have watched every single Raptors game that Hakeem has played in this year and the move to bring Dream off the bench was made because Keon Clark is no effective off the bench. It might hurt Hakeem because at his age he needs to warm up and get in the flow.