1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Francis status for next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Jul 17, 2008.

?

What Role do you see Steve taking at his peak next season?

1. He becomes the starter (starting 5)

78 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. He becomes a key reserve (part of 8 man rotation)

279 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. He plays sparingly (part of 10 or 12 man rotation)

139 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Gets burried at benche's end for his tradeable contract

159 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Gets waived before end of season

82 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Steve Francis continues to be one of my favorite players. I checked his stats almost every game when he played in Orlando and then in New York.

So I'm biased.

What do ya'll think?

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Status - WU

Washed up

I don't think we are going to see Steve on the court past preseason. Sorry.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think he gets waived before the start of the season, either that or he's traded.

4. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Expiring contract here, I believe. I think we'll keep him based on that itself.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hmm ... didn't consider that. Perhaps you're right.

6. sweatseek

sweatseek Member

SF3 go go go! Let's have some faiths in this guy!

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Thats what I think.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think he will get waived BEFORE the season. Especially with Brent Barry coming on board, there is no use in keeping SF around. He is washed up and has almost no chance to make the rotation. After what happened last season, he won't be in NBA basketball shape ever again.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I am actually rooting for him. I hope he becomes a key player on the team in some aspect.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Every team needs a good towel boy.

11. The Hungarian Rocket

No. We'll need him (his contract) in February. Just before the trade deadline.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think they'll waive Novak &/or Harris before waiving Francis. An expiring $2.6M contract can still be useful later to salary dump or as a trade asset.

I don't see him getting minutes in Adelmen's rotation. His rotation is short and he's gotten his off-season prize in Barry.

If the both sides are lucky the Clippers use their remaining cap space to trade for Francis as Davis's backup. The Clips targetted him last year in free agency.

13. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Why will SF get waived? U waive a player u still need to carry his salaries. The Rockets dont have any roster spot problem and SF is an expiring contract.

But it's hard to see SF recovers good enough at the beginning of season. Maybe after all-star break but then the rotation will be set.

I think the biggest possiblity is SF gets trade at the trade deadline.

14. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I doubt the Clips want SF now unless SF proves he still can play.

15. sydmill

sydmill Member

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything about SF3's status? He should be running by now if not participating in full contact games. Has anyone seen him at Fonde? I have real doubts about his ability to come back. That being said, if he can, he is going to be a big part of this team. Assuming he can play around 20-25 mins I am looking for 10-14 pts 4-5 assts and 3-4 rebs.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

starting PG

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You guys overestimate the value of an expiring contract. They aren't made of gold. I remember when people vociferously argued that Clarence Weatherspoon would be kept on the roster because of his expiring contract.

People, we might be keeping 3 rookies on our team. Even if only two, it still won't be easy getting down to 15 players.

SF's puny expiring contract is worth a drop of warm water. If/when the Rockets determine he won't be contributing this season, he's a goner before training camp.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't expect him to be more than a marginal player at his best. Combining his salary with Jackson/Head might be useful in a trade. He could be here throughout the season until the end of his contract like candlegreen has pointed out.

19. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I believe(well I guess it's more like wishing) that he comes back and plays well(atleast 85% of old self would be nice), that's probably better than Head Brooks & maybe Jackson. My only concern is that this may not be the right offense for him. He needs the ball to get up and down the court to make plays which he will get a chance to run, but once we get in a halfcourt set that is where he will struggle. I think he has alot left, but his skills may fit better in a Golden State type offense.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Yep, hes "well" done.

But his expiring contract will be kept around for trades unless we absolutely need that roster spot. Right know when Landry gets signed that is spot 14. If Deke is signed, spot 15. That would leave #16, which isn't allowed, for Dorsey/Harris--needing to cut Francis.

So pending the "little trade" (Novak+?), Landry and Deke situations, determines whether Francis is cut or kept around for trade purposes.