1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"KT is better than Fizer," my Iowa mentor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mango, Mar 9, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

heypartner,

So after getting that report, do you still hold to your suggestion of the other night to play Marcus and KT on the floor together?

Mango

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah...I have to back off. Lon is usually right about talent.

The report I first read was Fizer is as quick-footed as KT. That appears to be an exaggeration. Short and stocky is one thing. But, if he doesn't have fast moves either...he's a dime a dozen.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Partner,

What separates average pros from good or even great ones?

I think it is ATTITUDE, and Fizer has it.

I think he is at least as good as KT, and I LOVE KT's game.

DaDakota

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Heypartner,
    As you probably suspect, I have followed and watched Fizer a lot this year and last. I am so high on this guy. He is quick footed for as big and strong as he is. He doesn't have the tag of being possibly lazy or overweight like KT did coming out of NM, but we all know KT disspelled those rumors when he entered the league.

Fizer has one quality related to his game that KT isn't quite as strong in.....EXPLOSIVENESS.

Watch this guy on the blocks. He has a nice array of spin moves and hooks, fadeaways, and a solid perimeter from about 18 and in. But if you give him an inch, he will ride up and dunk on your head. He gets up quick, and explodes to the rim. A powerful man.

He has drive, desire, and passion too. I like that. He is going to be good. I don't think Kenny and Fizer compare that well....different type of game. I do think we can have both.....couldn't hurt!?!?

5. IA Rocket

IA Rocket Contributing Member

Being an ISU graduate and living in the area, I can tell you Marcus Fizer can shoot inside or outside, he can rebound, he's a clutch player, and he's a very hard worker. The downside for the NBA is that he's not quick enough to guard small forwards, but not big enough to guard power forwards. He doesn't shoot good enough to pull out NBA power forwards to guard him. He has had chronic foot problems that could cause problems for him in the NBA.

Everyone in Iowa is saying he's the best player to come out of ISU though. He's better than anyone at this stage, including the Jazz's Hornacek or the Rocket's Cato.

6. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

I agree, Fizer is the real deal and kicks ass.

Living in Oklahoma you are force fed Big XII so I have seen Fizer a lot and he looks GOOD!

KT and Fizer with Cato at the 5.... man talk about big lineup! We would out run AND outshoot with those guys at the front line!

--Rocketman

Without Kenyon draft the next best! MARCUS FIZER!

7. heypartner

Given that they are both tweeners and Fizer is likely going to be available in 10-15 spots, I've been getting the scoop on him recently. I've only seen him once, so I need other eyes. Who's seen him.

Here's one report:
    my scouting mentor in Iowa explained his take on Fizer: smart player...not as fast as Kenny.

Q: Who is better?
    A: "Without a doubt Kenny. Fizer might have a better outside shot, better defense, but I'd take Kenny. You gotta understand, Iowa St does have some weapons. Fizer is not getting tripled like Kenny did."

8. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

heypartner -- I couldn't disagree any more with your scouting report in Iowa. First off, I don't think anyone is going to let this kid slide out of the Top 5 slots in the draft. Available at 10 in unlikely in my opinion.
    Next, I would have to say Kenny has the better outside shooting touch. Although I've been impressed with Fizers shot the times I've seen him play.
    Kenny is faster than Fizer? Hardly....Hoop T is right on with the word explosive.
    You may be right about not seeing triple teams like Kenny did. But I've seen him take it the hole with authority on four guys.

Fizer completely dismantled Mihm and Mouneke in Austin. This guy is a legitimate top three lottery pick -- wait and see come Tourney time.

9. heypartner

I hope you all are right.

Note that much of what my scout friend said (retired by the way), is about his praise for KT, not criticism of Fizer.

He's lives in Des Moines. He's not about to be biased against Fizer. Neither am I, being from the cornfields of Illinois. He just doesn't think he's got quick footwork at the level of Thomas. KT is rare in that dept.

Being undersized measuring closer to 6'6 than the 6'8 lie, it will take explosiveness like Barkley, smarts and fearlessness like Dantley, or shooting like Aguirre for Fizer to beat double-teams.

The key between Fizer and KT, is who can produce an unblockable move to destroy man coverage and occassionally beat double teams.

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

heypartner,

What is amusing abou this thread is consider when KT was picked last summer. Fizer is projected at least 10 places higher this coming draft. That is something to think about.

Mango