1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan vs. Carter... who would win?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dream_team, Feb 6, 2002.

1. dream_team

dream_team Member

I saw this poll on nba.com and I was amazed that Jordan was winning the poll.

I admit, Jordan is one of the best dunkers of all time... but Vince Carter is in his own league. the dunks he did were unheard of & creative.

during Jordan's time, 360's & windmills were good dunks. carter combined those dunks into one!

during Jordan's time, dunking from the freethrow line was a good dunk. carter did it with two hands

vince can do any dunk jordan did, but add a little more to it...

2. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

I agree, i was shocked too. But you know fans want to believe Jordan was the best at everything. He started the road of amazing dunks, he certainly was a pioneer in that category, but VC is just something else.

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I voted for Jordan, and I'm not a big fan of his...but...

I believe that Jordan would rise to the occasion. Even though 360 dunks were big in his day, I believe he would rise to the level of the competition any day. If someone was gonna do a 720 dunk, I believe Jordan would work until he came up with a 920...

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Dr. J aint gettin no love?

5. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Dream_Team: Vince's 2 hander wasn't from the foul line. It was like a step ahead. I do agree that Carter is better than MJ though. James White could beat them both though.

6. dream_team

dream_team Member

moandfroshow:
    i agree... that two-handed dunk was a step-in from the free-throw line. but it was just a matter of miscalculating his steps... he would've easily made it from the freethrow line. btw, he was doing that freethrow line dunk since highschool. i remember watching him in the mcdonalds dunk contest.

rockets03:
    Dr. J will always be known as the pioneer of dunks in my mind! but this isn't a best dunker thread... it's carter vs. jordan thread

7. Steve_Francis_rules

I haven't seen the play for a while, but wansn't Jordan's dunk from a little inside the line as well? Not that it matters, they both got high enough that they could have made the dunk even from another foot back.

8. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Jordans was a step inside but I don't think he would've made it if he was a step back and same with Vince. It looked like the each just got it there. I'm not saying that they couldn't do it, just that they didn't seem like they had to much room for error when they did it.

9. Ninja Sauce X

Ninja Sauce X Member

10. JAG

JAG Member

Oh, to me it's Carter by a landslide. Iwas never a Jordan fan, but I am willing to give him his props ( incredible mid-air adjustments of jumpshot, unbelievable competitor) but, despite his great athleticism, I don't remember a particular dunk that I thought was all that incredible, over time...To me, his greatest single play, esthetically, wasn't even a dunk, but that drive to the hoop where he fakes with one hand, then switches hands mid-air and lays it in...That was awesome...But as for dunks, I can think of all kinds that Carter has done that go way beyond Jordan. The fact that he was rated no. 1 all-time, over Jordan, signifies to me that it's not even close, as the media tend to automatically rate Jordan no.1 on anything and everything, let alone the thing he first became known for, and to overcome that kind of hero-worship speaks volumes...

11. Looogie

Looogie Member

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Vince is the better dunker,but Jordan is the better overall player.

13. BTM

BTM Member

Carter in a landslide. There's several other dunkers I'd put before MJ anyways. Carter can do things no other man has ever done.

And James White wouldn't beat them both. Cut out your tongue for saying that.