1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe vs T-Mac

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Evol, Feb 6, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Evol

Evol Member

Who is better?

2. azn-baller

azn-baller Member

its a tie...they both lose to iverson

3. TradeMan12

TradeMan12 Member

Toss up..

Switch TMAC to the Lakers and they still win the title, put Kobe on last years Orlando team with a frontline of(Dolec, Ameachi, Outlaw, Delcercq, Reid) I doubt they win 43 games.

Kobe is having the better season so far, TMAC has been banged up, playing more of a all around game. By the end of the year his scoring should be back at 26 a game.

TMAC 24.4PTS 7.6 REBS 4.8 AST 1.3 ST 1.0BLK
    KOBE 26.0PTS 5.4 REBS 5.6 AST 1.6 ST 0.4BLK

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

I may be a bit biased, but I'll say TMac. Kobe is definately the much better natural scorer, though McGrady can score at will as well. McGrady's all-around game is better than Kobe's, though, but it may be a product of the Lakers' system lacking the need for Kobe to do everything.

I'd love to have either player on my team...and I'm glad I have McGrady!

5. IluvtheLakers

IluvtheLakers Member

KOBE!! McGrady has such bad stats when Grant Hill plays.

When Shaq doesn't play you see the difference between Kobe and McGrady

Kobe last season when Shaq didn't play. 33 ppg 8rpg 4.5 apg
    Kobe this season when Shaq didn't play 29ppg 7rpg 7apg

Having Shaq there makes Kobe so much more passive and needing to do less, plus with Shaq the Lakers do play a slower tempo, guys like iverson and McGrady get multiple easy baskets and get fouled in transition every single game, Kobe rarely gets that opportunity, it only really happens when Shaq goes out of the game, so Kobe's stats aren't as good as they should be.

Should be pointed out the Lakers have been 12-5 for the last 2 seasons without Shaq(include Seattle game where Shaq played only 1 minute)

12-5!! IN the western Conference!!
    Orlando may have a crappy frontline, but it's better than Horry, Samaki, Madsen, and Med
    And at least McGrady has Miller and Armstrong, Kobe has nothing with Shaq out.

McGrady didn't do much, they were a .500 team before he signed there, and they're still a .500 team.

I'm just really happy with the Lakers. I think they're coached very well. The Lakers are a good team when Shaq doesn't play, the Lakers are also a good team when Kobe doesn't play. They can maintain their pace with one of the two superstars out, but when both play and play hard(like they do when it's the playoffs), the Lakers are an excellent team.

#5 IluvtheLakers, Feb 6, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2002
  6. TradeMan12

TradeMan12 Member

"KOBE!! McGrady has such bad stats when Grant Hill plays. "

24.5PTS in 14 games inst so bad. It takes time to gel, and learn how to play off each other. Kobe and Shaq took time as well.

"When Shaq doesn't play you see the difference between Kobe and McGrady

Kobe last season when Shaq didn't play. 33 ppg 8rpg 4.5 apg
    Kobe this season when Shaq didn't play 29ppg 7rpg 7apg "

Kobe couldnt beat the Bulls, Warriors, Raptors(w/o 3 starters), Miami w/o Shaq. The teams hes played this year w/o Shaq have been cupcakes(besides S.A). Beat Houston(w/o Francis), beat the Nuggets(in the last 20 secs, w/o Mcydess).

Kobe would have to play all 82, then we can look at the record, not 6-8 games.

Finally if you count the games that TMAC has played for the Magic, its above .500. Hes missed around 5-8 games this year and last.

TOSS UP

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

As I recall, you've already been blasted for that statement by various other members on this board, so I'm not even going to bother. I'll let someone else bring that thread back up. To make your argument, you are undervaluing your own players and overvaluing those of Orlando.

8. IluvtheLakers

IluvtheLakers Member

Yeah the Bulls loss was embarrassing and the Lakers have had some losses to bad teams with Shaq out this season, but that Raptors loss they only had Olajuwon out, everyone else played, same story every game with Shaq out, the Lakers get killed inside. The thing is, the Lakers don't have any perimeter firepower outside of Kobe either, other than Fox everyone else is just a shooter. McGrady has Miller who is a very competant scorer and Darrell Armstrong is one of the better point guards in the league.

With all those weaknesses, the Lakers record has been pretty impressive(less now with the Bulls loss) with Shaq out for the past 2 seasons. Plus they had some nice wins last season without Shaq(Sacramento and Phoenix). I think the team is coached so well, there's hardly any talent at all but the team can squeeze out wins.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Kobe is a better player than T-Mac.