1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's buying all this Kidd for MVP talk?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DCkid, Feb 7, 2002.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Not me! I'll admit that Kidd is the biggest reason for the Nets recently acquired success, but lets the count the other things that can be attributed to the Nets turning it around.

1. Healthy Kittles
    2. Healthy Van Horn
    3. Healthy Kenyon Martin!!!
    4. Solid play from McCulloch
    5. Richard Jefferson

That's are total of six quality players that were just acquired or have come off nagging injuries from last season. I just think its lazy for sports writers to say Kidd completeley turned the team around by himself when there are so many other factors that contributed to it.

And besides, if the Nets were in the West, they would be the fifth or sixth best team. Noone would even be considering Kidd for MVP.

Having said that, I've got no idea who my pick for MVP would be right now.

2. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Jason Kidd would be a strong candidate, IMHO.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Great pass to Kenyon yesterday. He's made a difference. That's for sure. I think he's got my vote.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I buy it. While having all those players healthy is helpful, I still give most of the credit to Kidd.

5. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

kidd getting mvp talk is an absolute joke...all-star he definetely should be but MVP is a mock...look how much talent that team has without kid..now you look at players like jordan or garnett (albeit Wally has stepped up), the teams's success is fully contigent on their performance and judging by their records both players are doing a heck of a job.

6. red

red Contributing Member

i vote for kidd

7. ice pack

ice pack Member

I don't buy it. Last season the Nets went through what the Rockets are suffering through now. This is from the NBA.com/nets site:

2000-01: Marbury voted an All-Star; No. 1 pick proves worthy

In his NBA head-coaching debut, Byron Scott certainly did not have the type of season he had hoped for. Injuries hampered the team right out of the gate, having to start the season without three of their players (Kerry Kittles, Jamie Feick and Keith Van Horn). From there, the chemistry of the team fluctuated as they tried to make adjustments each time a new player was injured. The team finished with a 26-56 record and missed the playoffs for a third consecutive season.

Individually, rookie Kenyon Martin was outstanding in his NBA debut and point guard Stephon Marbury was voted to the All-Star Team for the first time in his career. Reserves like veteran Johnny Newman and Lucious Harris stepped up in their roles as starters, while sophomore Evan Eschmeyer showed great effort at his starting center position. But the injury quotient (345 games lost to injury) provided distraction and disruption, depriving Coach Scott of a consistent, healthy lineup. The potential success of a team that featured Marbury, Van Horn, Martin and Kittles was never able to materialize.

If the MVP award is about player impact, I don't think NJ would crater without Kidd as badly as Philadelphia or Houston would without their point guards. And personally, I would never trade for someone who can disappear so easily in the scoring column.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I say Kidd. Give him any incentive necessary to stay in Jersey so that he doesn't sign with the Spurs in the summer of 2003. We gotta get Duncan out of the West.

AND, Kidd in the West again = No All-Star Francis

9. Kurupt the Kingpin

What about Michael Jordan for MVP? Aside from Rip Hamilton, the Wizards are basically the Bulls. MJ deserves some serious consideration.

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I would agree with that, but only if the Wizards finish in the top two or three teams in the east, which will be very difficult.

11. ScreamingRocketJet

I'd vote for him.

One thing that is being overlooked at in all the Kidd hype is the other side of the trade...and how over hyped Marbury is.

Everywhere he goes, the team doesn't improve. Phoenix are much worse than last season...and this with a fairly good season from Penny + Marion is another year developed + the big european centre has improved.

12. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

How can a guy shooting 38% be a MVP candidate is a joke. He won't win it at the end. It will be SHAQ becaue unlike Kidd, SHAQ is the MVP.

13. tuus

tuus Member

Shaq hasn't done anything special this year IMO (well, he attaced Miller. hmm). My vote goes to Kidd. Let's see:
    Kings played well even without Webber
    Mavs playing well, but not Nash, no Novitzki gonna be MVP-s
    Nets can't win without Kidd. its clear.
    Wizards are somewhere 6th place. I don't think Jordan deserves MVP.
    its all IMO

14. red

red Contributing Member

by your analogy tuus...francis is the mvp

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Kidd has made the Nets a lot better because he is a better point guard than Marbury,he also has an improved overall cast this year,but he is not an MVP caliber player who can take over the game by himself when his team would would be struggling.That is not his job because he is a PG but there are many players who are more talented than him.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Kidd and the Nets have impressed me this year. I would definitely have to consider him on a list of MVP nominees.