1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Darrell Russell

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Major, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Major

Major Member

Wow.

http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0201/1321360.html

SAN FRANCISCO -- The No. 2 overall pick in the 1997 NFL draft faces another obstacle that could keep him off the field.

Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Darrell Russell remained in jail on $1.2 million bail Saturday, a day after he was arrested with two other men in Alameda on suspicion of drugging and sexually assaulting a 27-year-old woman.

<B>Russell will face seven counts of rape,</B> Alameda Police Lt. Jim Brock said. Russell is scheduled to appear in court Monday.

The Sacramento Bee reported Saturday that <B>Russell will face 17 additional sex-related charges</B>.

Asked why Russell faces 24 charges, Brock told The Bee, "There was significant evidence recovered from the scene which allowed us to come to those conclusions."

Russell already is serving a one-year NFL suspension after testing positive for the drug Ecstacy, and the suspension's terms block the Raiders from direct contact with him, said Bruce Allen, Raiders senior assistant.

"It's a difficult situation. The allegations are quite serious. We don't have all the details. We are still waiting to hear more from Darrell's attorneys," Raiders senior assistant Bruce Allen told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Russell's agent, Leigh Steinberg, did not respond to a call for comment.

Brock said Russell knew the woman for about six months and apparently called and asked her to meet him and some friends at the Starlight Lounge in San Francisco on Wednesday. The woman told police Russell bought her a drink just before closing time.

"Twenty minutes after the drink, she basically blacks out," Brock said. "She finds herself at home with a hangover and she's very sore. She substantiates it with some witnesses and she has some snippets of recollections that something happened there that wasn't quite right."

Brock said the woman went to the hospital and was tested for rape. He said physical evidence gathered there showed she had been assaulted.

During the arrest, police also collected "strong physical evidence that corroborates the victim's account of what occurred," Brock said.

The woman said she was assaulted at a home in Alameda where Russell had been staying -- the same residence where the trio was arrested. Brock said a friend of the woman's drove her home early Thursday morning.

Russell, 25, and the other two men -- Naeem Perry, 24, of Berkeley and Ali Hayes, 27, of Oakland -- were booked on suspicion of rape, oral copulation, penetration by a foreign object and sexual battery.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I really don't care about him anymore, To Me he stopped playing Two Years Ago. And to think We could Have Got Orlando Pace, It makes me very sad to see such a waste a pure talent but If you rape women you are a b*stard and a loser in my book.

3. Old School

Old School Member

Isn't he represented by power agent Leigh Steinberg??

I could have sworn that he was on the Rome show a few weeks ago and mentioned him. He later mentioned in the show how he only represents quality people and such.

What a joke. I wish someone would have called him on it. Rome wasn't hosting that day but he wouldn't have called him on it either.

os