1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rasheed to Washington?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hottoddie, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I wonder if we could get in on this deal to acquire Jahidi White.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/bucher_20020108.html

'Sheed for Kwame? Makes sense
    by Ric Bucher

When Michael Jordan announced his comeback, I suggested it would be worth all the ridiculous hoopla only if he was coming back with the Trail Blazers, seeing them then as one disciplined, mentally tough, clutch scorer away from affecting the NBA balance of power.

Well, the ol' bald guy isn't going to trade himself west, but he could be united with Portland's one-man torch. A league source tells me the rumors are reality: The Trail Blazers and Wizards have had trade talks involving Rasheed Wallace and Kwame Brown. Other pieces obviously would be needed to make the deal work under salary-cap restrictions, which would suggest it's a long way from happening.

The teams aren't talking about it, but we have more than enough reason for juicy speculation that both franchises are ready to make significant changes in direction.

In the case of the Blazers, it's a move toward that forbidden R-word (rebuilding). For the Wizards, it's scratch that building-for-the-future idea and let's make a run at the playoffs now.

It's a deal that makes sense for both sides. Portland doesn't look like a playoff team right now, anyway, and as long as 'Sheed doesn't believe his status as the Blazers' best player automatically requires him to be a team leader, they're not likely to get back there.

Kwame may be in the D.C. doghouse, but he's got the raw skills to be as good as 'Sheed in a couple of years without being a tech magnet. Portland GM Bob Whitsitt, in turn, is fascinated with acquiring lottery picks without actually drafting them -- Kwame would be his 15th in nine years.

The Blazers also have enough talent already that any renovation would be a short-term project.

The Wizards, meanwhile, despite their amazing start, are still a dice roll to make the postseason and MJ's comeback remains a nice historical footnote if they don't get there. I'm guessing he sees a chance to make sure it's more than that, what with an Eastern Conference leveled by injured stars (Zo, half the 76ers, Jamal Mashburn, Grant Hill, Sam Cassell and Glenn Robinson).

'Sheed is a fellow Tar Heel and Jordan has to believe if he kept Dennis Rodman in check for two years, he can do the same with Wallace.

In any case, it's worth the risk. There's no reason to believe the Wizards are going to somehow preserve their success playing with Jordan and be better for it once he's gone. Did that happen with any Bulls? They played above their capabilities with MJ, maybe, but you could argue each was worse off once he left. Why not give Jordan another taste of the postseason, even if the franchise pays for it mightily after he’s gone?

Granted, I've got ulterior motives. What I'd really like to see is the undercard -- 'Sheed and coach Doug Collins.

Now that would be entertainment.

2. outlaw

outlaw Member

Supposedly it's Kwame Brown, Courtney Alexander & their #1 pick (plus Laettner or White or both to make salaries match)

I think the Rockets could make a better package with our #1 pick, Taylor, Torres, Willis and Williams.

Walt and Kevin have expiring contracts so that knocks $8 million off the Blazers huge cap.

They might think Torres is Clyde II. Taylor is better at this point than Brown and would fit in better with the Blazer vets.

Our draft pick (even with Sheed) will probably be a lotto pick while DC will likely be in the playoffs in the east.

Rockets
    1. Francis/Norris/Brown
    2. Mobley/Rice*
    3. Thomas/Langhi
    4. Griffin/Morris
    5. Wallace/Cato/Collier

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Outlaw - I hope you are just thinking out loud.

If Motay were healthy, yeah, he would be better than Kwame this season, most likely.

But Kwame has the potential to be a star, and MoTay, naw, not really. Torres? I don't think much of anyone outside of Houston will value him as a better prospect than Alexander. Our pick may very well end up being higher than the Wiz(sad :( ) but with Sheed in the fold for the rocks, the pick would either be a low lotto pick or possibly not even. And I'm not sure whether or not the Blazers really care about expiring contracts or not.

That would be a great trade for us though :p

4. Live

Live Member

I'm with you Crisco, Washington's package is NICE, it blows anything the Rocks can offer out of the water.

5. JAG

JAG Member

With all respect, I think you are completely missing the point...Yes, Torres might be better than Brown at this point, but...so what? Brown's value lies in his potential, not his current level of play, and that potential is by far the prime asset Washington would be giving in order to get Wallace...Torres, while a respectable rookie, has nowhere near the same definable upside. I mean, do you honestly think that the Timberwolves would have traded Garnett for Damon Stoudamire during their rookie seasons? Stoudamire was a much better 'player' at the time, and it still would never have happened...and Torres isn't having anywhere near the season Mighty Mouse had..