1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ROY award

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by drpepper, Dec 30, 2001.

1. drpepper

drpepper Member

These past two weeks several players have been coming into their own. Here's the short list:

1) As we all know Eddie has really shown why the Rockets traded 3 first rounders for him this past week. It couldn't have come at a better time. Many writers were beginning to criticize his play when he had 3 consecutive double-doubles to go with a handful of blocks.

2) Richard Jefferson has really shaken off the first year jitters and performed like he did last year in the final four. He is starting to put good numbers up consistantly.

3) Joe Johnson is starting to show why he was a lotto pick. His ball handling and shooting has been stellar and many are saying if not for him, last year's draft would have been awful for Boston.

4) Jason Richardson has become a different player since Cowen's removal. Their new coach, Brian Winters, has instructed the rookie to attack more and to avoid settling for treys. This adjustment has paid off great dividends for Richardson as his stats have increased , which is sure to follow some extended PT.

5) Jamal Tinsley has gained the starting role and is consistantly earning double digit assists. Nice work from a player almost taken in the second round.

6) And of course there is the Shane Battier and Pau Gasol combo from the Griz. While not spectacular, they are the leading scorers of their class. They both are very cerebral players, but are starting to lose some ground due to either their losing record or their dull play.

2. mduke

mduke Member

i think if they keep playing like this, it will end up like....

1. tinsley
    2. gasol
    3. griffin
    4. battier
    5. johnson
    6. richardson
    7. jefferson

3. Dm324

Dm324 Member

Jason Richardson, no doubt, maybe Pau gasol, no way should it be Shane Battier

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

There are many thing you could say about Gasol's game, but I can't see how "dull" is one of them.

Right now he's the clear-cut ROY award leader, in my opinion. I think his lead, so to speak, is too much for Griffin to overtake.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The only thing keeping Eddie from R.O.Y. is minutes.

7. teeloo

teeloo Contributing Member

I think if the front runners continue to play like they are then Tinsley will win hands down. Gasol will probably be a deserving but distant 2nd.

Griffin will be the best(with Tinsley a close 2nd) of the rookie class when all is said and done.

8. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

Tinsley is overrated imho... He is the next Mark Jackson, no better, no worse..In 5 years, he won't even be in the top 8 of this class..I expect the following to be better:

-Chandler, Curry, Eddie, Gasol, Kwame, Parker, Joe Johnson, Kirlenko..they'll all be better..i could even name a few more..