1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Positives about this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. We get Experience for the Rookies
    Also not so Rookies. This season has been good for KT as well.
    2. We *will* have an EXCELLENT bench next year
    [KT, OT, Moochie, Griffen, Tmo, Willis] - probably the best
    3. Good draft pick if we don't goto the playoffs.
    4. Walt coming off the payroll [should we resign him on the cheap?]
    5. Glen Rice cannot get any worse
    6. Cato is actually attempting to play

If you look to Next Year

Francis at 100%
    MoT at 100%

This team will be a very dangerous team. by the end of this year IF we not in contention . . .we *will be* the spoilers for those jocking for position.

Rocket River

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

i cannot believe you listed griff as a bench player for next season.

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

found out that Mo T can bong it up with the best of us!!

4. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

negatives about this year (other than the obvious win-loss record):

- Moochie has proven that we overpaid for him
    - Rice will never regain anything resembling his old form
    - Rockets entire franchise is contigent on re-signing Francis
    - Hakeem fallout
    - even when Cato busts his but, he does not amount anything near a player that gains his salary.

overall, although the losses sting, this year, should we resign Francis, will be an essential component of the development process of regaining champoinship form.

p.s. do we have Willis back next year?

5. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

So you're saying we're going to start him over mo taylor? I don't think we paid him 50 million bucks to come off the bench. However, I do want Griffin to start, so I say start EG at SF and put Rice on the bench.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If you think you can tell either one of the first two after one or two months, I don't think you've watched very much basketball. Rice had no training camp and only one month of basketball in which he was finally getting back into shape. You're telling me that after one month with no training camp we can tell he has no hope? Sure glad you aren't our GM.

Same with Mooch... he's had his moments of good play and bad play, but to blame him for what's going on now is ridiculous. He may be dribbling too much, but some other players need to come to the ball, or post up, or do something to get open. Many times he wants to pass the ball, but there is no one in a position to do anything, so he has to end up shooting it. And it hasn't even been two months. The value of six year contracts cannot be seen in two months.

So you're saying we're going to start him over mo taylor? I don't think we paid him 50 million bucks to come off the bench. However, I do want Griffin to start, so I say start EG at SF and put Rice on the bench.

What have we seen from EG that even remotely resembles the game of a small forward? (besides a few threes) The only reason people link EG with the SF position now, imho, is because of pre-draft hype. I originally projected Eddie as a long term 3 on this team, but I think that may limit his effectiveness, and Rudy knows this. If you watch him when he gets major minutes, rebounds and blocks come so easy to him. We need him near the basket. If Mo lost 20 pounds as was reported, we could play him at the 3, or we could do another idea: play EG and Mo up front and play Kenny at the 3. Haven mentioned a few times that KT might make a Donyell Marshall type 3, and I am starting to agree. He's got great lateral movement, quickness, and can handle the ball. He has dropped weight. KT might not be the ideal 3 in that he can't hit the outside J consistently, but EG and Mo can compensate for those weaknesses.

Against most teams, a KT-Mo-Griffin frontcourt would work fine. However, the exceptions (playing Shaq and playing a small SF) could be dealt with by going to the bench early. The Bucks last year started Tim Thomas at PF and Scott Williams at C in several games, but when facing a huge center like Shaq they brought in Ervin Johnson at the first deadball for Thomas, and Thomas would come in later for Williams. Face it, unless we get Yao Ming, we're not ever going to have some dominating center on this team like we had in Hakeem. We're going to have serviceable big men like Kevin Willis who hustle and get rebounds and loose balls. Imho, Rudy will go after a Willis clone or two in the next couple of years, and use them to body up with Shaq in games that Griffin or Taylor can't handle the 5 spot. The same would happen with Kenny at the 3, in this scenario. We could just bring in Oscar to match up with the smaller player, and then bring in KT toward the end of the first for Mo or Eddie.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think there are more Positives than this

Rocket River

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

one quandry

If Eddie keeps up this form, where does Mo fit in???

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

smeg no quandry

EDDIE GRIFFIN IS OUR CENTER OF THE FUTURE

i project him at center, taylor pf, rice/torres/kt possibly-sf, mobes-sg, steve-pg

10. pooh222

pooh222 Member

I don't care where Mo fits. From this point forward, if Eddie goes back to the bench, then we will truly know that Rudy is a r****d. Griff is our star along with Francis.