1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaun Alexander benched in favor of Ricky Watters?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Dr of Dunk, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm pissed. I just traded for Alexander in a fantasy league a week or 2 ago. Gave up Terrell Davis and change to get him... arrrrgggg....

What's Holmgren thinking? :mad:

http://www.nfl.com/ce/multi/0,3783,4679584,00.html

--------------------------------------------------

Watters to start at RB vs. Cowboys

NFL.com wire reports

KIRKLAND, Wash. (Dec. 12, 2001) -- Ricky Watters has won his starting job back from Shaun Alexander with the Seattle Seahawks.

Coach Mike Holmgren said Watters, who returned last week after missing eight games with a shoulder injury, will start at running back on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys at Husky Stadium and in the team's three remaining regular-season games.

Holmgren said Watters proved he was healthy in Denver last Sunday night. He said he didn't want to divide the running back duties between Watters and Alexander as he did in the loss to the Broncos. Thus, he is benching Alexander, who has rushed for 1,009 yards and scored a dozen touchdowns this season.

"They'll both play, but it's pretty hard to juggle both of them and split it up," Holmgren told his weekly news conference.

The Seahawks (6-6) probably need to win all four of their final games to make the playoffs. Holmgren said Watters, an 11-year veteran, gives his team a better chance to make the playoffs than if he continued to start Alexander.

Watters has 141 career starts, while Alexander, the team's top draft choice last season, has 10, including nine as Watters' replacement this season.

"I think right now down the stretch, Ricky's experience, enthusiasm and fire, and his versatility just made me go this way," Holmgren said.

Watters is considered a better blocker and pass receiver than Alexander.

In the Denver game, Alexander rushed for 28 yards on 12 carries, while Watters gained 23 yards on six carries. The Seahawks lost 19-7.

Holmgren's decision was surprising because Alexander flourished after replacing Watters, rushing for a franchise-record 266 yards and three touchdowns in a victory over the Oakland Raiders in Seattle Nov. 11. The 266-yard effort was the fourth best in NFL history and included a franchise-best 88-yard touchdown run.

In addition, he rushed for 176 yards against Jacksonville and 142 against Denver. He has rushed for 11 touchdowns.

Watters is in the final year of his contract in Seattle and the Seahawks aren't expected to re-sign him.

"Shaun certainly is our back for the future," Holmgren said. "Shaun is bright enough to know he's going to be around for a long time. But any decision that we make now is for this next game."

2. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

:mad: This is not good news. I have SA on 3 fantasy teams

In 35 games between 1999 and now, watters has had a grand total of 12 rushing td.
    In 11 games,this year, alexander has 11 td.

I guess Holmgren isn't happy enough starting the wrong qb.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You fantasy geeks really .edit- "know" -edit . nothing of football do you . Look at Shaun Alexander's last 2 games , he isnt hitting the hole at all , He is fatigued , The Best Thing for Holmgren to do is Sit him down and give him maybe 10 carries instead of 25 , Watters hasnt played in a while and he has always been a very good runningback who has earned the right to start . You play Watters to try and make the Playoffs . Give a Guy the Ball too much you ruin his career . two words : Christian Okaye

#3 moestavern19, Dec 13, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2001
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We "no" how to spell, you illiterate Lompocan!! :D

5. red

red Contributing Member

exxxccceeelleennntttttt..........

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Oh Go put in your dentures .

#6 moestavern19, Dec 13, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2001
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You actually typed "I hate you" and then waited how long to change it to the above? Man, you Lompocans are lame... "I posted something weak, now let me edit it and post something lame..." :)

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member