1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eat More Garlic!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Dec 5, 2001.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Disease Killer Garlic Put Under the Microscope
    By Megan Goldin
    from Yahoo News

REHOVOT, Israel (Reuters) - It stops vampires in their tracks, pulverizes bacteria, cures athlete's foot and gives a tasty kick to spaghetti bolognese.

Garlic, a key ingredient of folklore, is being put to the test by some of Israel's leading scientists out to unlock the herb's secrets.

Scientists at the Weizmann Institute of Science are focusing on allicin, a pungent compound that is nature's way of protecting garlic from insects, fungi and bacteria in the soil.

Weizmann Institute biochemist David Mirelman heads a four-person team that has cloned the gene for allicin, synthesized it and stabilized the highly volatile molecule which is responsible for all that is good and bad in garlic.

The overwhelming odor of crushed garlic is the result of the chemical reaction that creates allicin by combining the substrate, allin, with an enzyme called allinase.

But tests conducted by Mirelman and a slew of scientific studies show that allicin is also highly effective at preventing high blood pressure, treating diabetes, curing diarrhea, lowering the risk of heart attacks and killing cancer cells.

In laboratory tests on rats, they also found that garlic prevents weight gain and might even lead to weight loss.

"WONDER DRUG"

Mirelman calls it a "wonder drug" and says it is in the league of aspirin, discovered over a century ago and still a staple multipurpose drug that is highly effective at preventing strokes, among many other things.

"Aspirin is not an antibiotic but it helps to prevent strokes, headaches, pain and so on...Allicin has a proven effect on micro-organisms so it's an antibiotic; it kills micro-organisms," said Mirelman.

The Israeli biochemist stumbled on garlic's medicinal properties on a trip to China for a
    conference on dysentery. A Chinese physician there showed off his cure for the often deadly stomach illness -- a bottle of crushed raw garlic soaked in alcohol.

"He gave dysentery patients a half a glass of the yellow liquid twice a day. I asked him how well it worked and he said it's been curing people for 5,000 years," said Mirelman.

"So I took the recipe and studied it," he said. "I isolated each of the components in garlic to see if they were effective against a battery of micro-organisms and found the most effective component was allicin," Mirelman said.

"It was highly effective at killing a wide range of micro-organisms from fungi to bacteria and malaria," said Mirelman, who is trying to find a scientist with anthrax supplies to test whether allicin can kill anthrax spores.

GARLIC -- ROME'S SECRET WEAPON

Garlic has been a staple item in medicine chests from China to Italy for thousands of years.

Its virtues were the subject of legends and fodder for ancient poets and the Bible, in which the Israelites bewailed the garlic left behind in Egypt when they fled to the wilderness with Moses.

Egyptian hieroglyphics record that garlic was given to the workers who built the pyramids to keep them strong and healthy. Ancient Greek athletes would eat raw garlic before competitions and soldiers consumed it before going into battle.

It was the secret weapon of the Roman Empire, whose centurions ate garlic to keep disease -- especially stomach bugs -- at bay. The ancient father of medicine Hippocrates recommended garlic for infections, wounds, leprosy and digestive disorders.

In the Middle Ages, garlic was used to prevent the plague and hung around the neck as a charm to ward off demons and the occasional vampire. During World War One, it was used to prevent gangrene when penicillin and sulfa drug supplies ran out.

A team of doctors at Israel's Tel Hashomer hospital used Mirelman's allicin in controlled tests on rats to gather evidence that garlic combats high blood pressure and prevents diabetes and heart attacks.

It received top marks, destroying the build-up of plaque in coronary arteries, reducing the
    symptoms of diabetes and bringing down blood pressure in rats that were fed a high fructose diet for three weeks before been given allicin.

The blood pressure and sugar metabolism of rats given allicin after the high fructose diet went back to normal within two weeks.

But the blood pressure and sugar metabolism of rats in a control group that received no allicin went sky high and remained there.

GARLIC PREVENTS WEIGHT GAIN

During the tests, researchers noticed an interesting side-effect. None of the rats given allicin gained weight.

"They ate the same amount as the control group but their weight did not change," said Tel
    Hashomer hypertension expert Dr. Telma Rosenthal, who now wants to conduct tests on fat rats to see whether allicin causes weight loss.

Mirelman has not yet discovered why garlic would prevent weight gain but in separate
    experiments he has found the herb destroys cancer cells in petri dishes at an amazing rate.

Unfortunately it also kills live cells, prompting Mirelman to develop an anti-cancer treatment that is tumor specific, meaning it targets only the cancer cells.

It will take 10 years but Mirelman believes it could help combat breast cancer and other tumors.

Mirelman's work at synthesizing allicin -- which most scientists agree is the secret of garlic's medicinal success -- could enable the production of medications based on allicin.

But Mirelman has found little interest in conducting the costly research and human tests by pharmaceutical companies because allicin is in the public domain, which means no company can recoup its investment with an exclusive drug.

But that doesn't faze Mirelman, who is so taken with allicin that he eats it with yogurt every day.

---

EAT MORE GARLIC!!

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I think its a ploy by Israel. It really is a bad thing, this garlic. They want more Muslims to eat it so we will DIE!!!!! :mad:

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

for you slowpokes I might as well add a " ;) "

4. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

note to self: *Order 1000 pounds of garlic*

Seriously, I'm gonna go out and get some tonight and eat it every day. Then brush my teeth afterwards.

5. rockHEAD

Garlic is even good for your pets!
    Keeps the fleas away!

rH

6. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Olive oil is great for hypertension. I have it a couple of times a week.

No problem adding garlic to my diet. Texas toast here I come :D !

7. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Mr0ily's Garlic Spaghetti for the cheap-ass bachelor:
    1 small can tomato sauce
    1 Big 'ol Garlic piece
    Spaghetti

-Sautee the minced garlic in Olive Oil for about 10 minutes or until the garlice starts to brown. I use half of a whole garlic for one serving.
    -Add tomato sauce, simmer for 20 minutes.
    -Boil your pasta
    -Eat!
    -No animals were hurt in this operation, vegetarian girls will love you for it.

Disclaimer:
    Garlic Farts go along with eating Garlic. You have been warned!!

8. rockHEAD

one stinkin' clove?
    WTF...

you're weak, oily
    rH

9. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Boyyee, I said one whole Garlic NOT a single damn clove!
    What the hell is that called?!:confused:

10. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

head.

11. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

oh I get it, garlicHEAD, rockHEAD, HAHAHA!:D
    Thats funny pipe!!!!LOL:D

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Eat more garlic, have less sex!!

13. rockHEAD

actually, I think it's, "get married, have less sex"

rH

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

<i>Based on the most logical race in the galaxy, The Vulcans, mating will only be permitted once every seven years. For many of you, this will mean much less mating...For me, much much more!</i>