1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't blame Mack Brown

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by The Cat, Dec 2, 2001.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I don't believe what I just read.

let me get this straight, Timing. . . for multiple, loooong posts, you and I have been arguing over whether UT is overrated.

my position is that simms is overrated, not UT.

your position has been that you can't separate the two.

now, shanna--er, Major comes along and asks a polite question.

and you say that, with Major, Texas in the top 4 with miami, florida and tennessee??!!??!!

WHAT THE HELL WERE WE ARGUING ABOUT?

what happened to the straw-house? the big bad wolf?

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I just heard Bob Stoops is on the ND list of candidates. No word on Mack Brown. That's odd.

Why would ND want Stoops over Brown? Brown is Mr. February.

Both coaches are secure in their positions, so I don't understand. Could it be that Stoops has a conference and national title?

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

get a life. stoops won the mnc, but he was 7-5 before that. I dont' know why you hate mack ,but get over it. he's not the problem, simms and major is.

4. gr8-1

Ole Snake oil Mack is at it again. After getting dominated by Cu, Mack lands Aaron Harris , 5 star LB over atm, ou and Bryan Pickryl from Jenks Oklahoma. Pickryl is the top rated player in Oklahoma.

5. Timing

Timing Member

What are you having trouble with? I have said Texas' offense, defense, and quarterback are overrated. I then said Simms, because of the large influence of the quarterback, causes the offense to be overrated. I said the offense is more overrated than the defense which I feel is very good but certainly not worthy of being rated #1 in the country. I said with Major as quarterback they are a better team than with Simms. None of that conflicts with anything I've said.

Even if Major were the starting quarterback that doesn't mean that Texas' opponents would be any better. Texas would still be rolling some pretty horrible teams which allows them to be top 4 with the teams I've mentioned.

The more important question is where would UT rank with either quarterback if they had a top 15 rated schedule instead of a 30th or 40th rated schedule. If you look at the top teams and their rated schedules in the BCS standings...

Colorado (2 losses) - 2nd rated schedule
    Tennessee (1 loss) - 4th rated
    Miami (0 losses) - 15th rated
    Florida (2 losses) - 17th rated
    Nebraska (1 loss) - 18th rated
    Washington (3 losses) - 20th rated
    Stanford (2 losses) - 21st rated
    Oregon (1 loss) - 31st rated
    Texas (2 losses) - 33rd rated

If you replaced Kansas on the schedule and threw in Nebraska, I don't know where that would put Texas' strength of schedule but I believe they would lose that game and that would put them at 3 losses.

I don't believe UT sucks and I've never said that they do, but I thought they were overrated which is why I called them a straw house and I believed they would lose when they played a team more on level with them. I didn't expect them to lose to Colorado though but I felt Miami, Florida, or Tennessee would put some big numbers on Texas if they ever played. BTW, if you listen to the media they're saying that Colorado "killed" Texas and things like that. From what I've seen, the thought around the country fits the opinion that UT was indeed way overrated.

#85 Timing, Dec 4, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2001
  6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Touchy subject...eh? Does it anger you Stoops won the mnc in his 2nd year? Or how about Barnett, a guy Texas passed over, in his 3rd year already with a Big 12 title, with a Tennessee loss will be playing in the Rose Bowl for the mnc? Or how about facing Skippy who in his lifetime is 3-0 vs. Texas in the Holiday Bowl?

It angers me. I'll question Mack's decisions. If you don't like it, go to HornFans.

7. gr8-1

Smokey, to me, Mack's only error was playing Simms. Barnett is an ok coach, yes he has the big 12 championship, but wasn't his team under .500 last year. He loses 27 seniors this year, lets see if he's so bold to call a fake punt up 13 next year. That was a stupid play.

Sorry for my crude tone, it was late, I was drunk, lonely, and mad. ;) But, seriously Mack is not the problem.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

UT's coaches do not prepare the team for big games. We lose more than our fair share of games against relatively even opponents and some to cleary inferior ones as well (UNC, Stanford), that is my problem with Mack and his coaching staff.

As a team, I don't think UT was overrated. Except for 2 close games against quality opponents, they won their games easily, including beatinf the future Big 12 champion by more than 30. It just so happens the brain locked QB managed to lose the 2 close games they did happen to findthemselves in. Let's no forget Miami almost lost to an unranked team and was a dropped 2 point coversion away from OT versus a punchless VTech team, Florida lost to a third tier ranked Auburn, Tenn lost to Georgia and had some close calls, Nebraska got pummeled bu CU, CU managed to lose twice, OU lost to OSU, and Oregon lucked out to beat UCLA, USC and WSU. No team has a close to flawless resume.

Also, not only did Mack go with Simms to start this year (ok, perhaps understanable) he stuck with him even after he was consistently making mistakes in the pivitol games. I can understand letting him go 0 or 1 to 6 (Tds, int), but allowing that number to reach 7-8-9-10 (TOs), only a fool more concerned with not eating crow than making the best decisions for his team would do that. That latter part really bothers me.