1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cato needs to go up with 1 hand

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alaskansnowman, Dec 1, 2001.

1. alaskansnowman

Twice this game I've seen Cato go up with two hands for the dunk, only to either miss the dunk or get blocked. And this isn't the first game either... I've noticed Cato, despite being 6'11 with long arms and good leaping ability, doesn't dunk in traffic very well. When Cato is going up for a dunk he should NEVER, I repeat NEVER get blocked!

When you go up with two hands, the dunk is a more sure one, however you don't go up as high as you do with 1 hand. He's got big hands and I've seen Cato catch 1 handed alleyoops and dunk them (with the left hand also) so it's not like he can't go up 1 handed. Someone needs to tell him to go up with 1 hand b/c he'll get higher on the jump and it'll be virtually impossible for him to get blocked/miss the dunk guaranteeing aobut 4 to 6 more points a game.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Cato has extremely small hands. He cannot palm the ball so he can't go up with one hand.

3. alaskansnowman

Cato cannot palm the ball?!!?!?!?!? Omg how is that possible? The man is 6'11!!!!!

Oh well, I'll take your word for it Jeff... I guess I won't be mad at him for taking it up with two hands now...

still unbelievable how you can be as big as cato but have such small hands... I can palm the ball (though not very well) and i'm 6'0.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

He just has really small hands, which is why he has a hard time holding ontto it. Steve Francis can't palm the ball either.

5. alaskansnowman

I do recall one of the commentators on TNT saying that Stevie could not palm the ball during the dunk contest, but I believe that those statements were later refuted.

I don't really see how he can do some of the crazy 1 handed dunks w/out palming the ball. I think they absolutely require him to palm the ball, otherwise there's no way he could complete all the dunks he's completed. I could understand a few dunks here and there, but I seriously doubt he can't palm the ball b/c of the sheer amount of monster 1 handers he's pulled off.

6. SteveFrancis410

Cato can too palm the ball I saw him do it in the game tonight. I have seen him do it many times actually... I think that he is just trying to hard and ends up looking like a fool.

Steve hands are not that small!!!:rolleyes:

Get well Soon,...please Hurry!!!:D

7. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Depends on the size of the ball. Palm a basketball, no. His own, yes, with plenty of room to spare.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought Cato did not have any balls.

DaDakota

9. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Mate you hit it right on the head!!!!

LOL

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Kobe cant palm the ball either.

11. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Cato can't palm the ball because he has a handful of undeserved dollars.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

There is a difference between palming the ball and actually being able to grip it with one hand. All of these guys can palm the ball but none of them are like Dr. J or something of that nature.

Cato may be able to hold it for a few seconds, but not effectively enough to feel confident in it. Steve is exactly the same way.

Just watch their dunks. If either of them goes with one hand, the ball is never gripped, it always is just re-directed with their hand. Holding the ball weakly with one hand is not as effective as solidly with two.

Cato's problem with dunking isn't that he uses one hand. The problem is that he doesn't, at times, get enough lift when he jumps.

13. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

SNowmans right, it would be a lot less likely for him to get blocked if he went up with one hand. But he has horrible hands, half the time when he's thrown a pass it goes right through his hands or he bobbles the ball and it falls out of bounds. I think he gets the best leap on alley oops, cuz i have seen him do some monster alley oops where he simply skies. I guess he can get more hang time without the ball.
    LOL

14. alaskansnowman

Jeff:

That's the problem exactly. When you go up with 1 hand, your reach (and therefore basically your jump) is higher than when u go up with 2 hands. Try it yourself... jump for the rim with 1 hand outstretched and then do it with two hands outstretched... u'll notice it's much more difficult with 2 hands than with 1.

Regardless, its a problem that cannot be solved cuz his hands are too small. He'll just have to concentrate to jump higher when he goes up with 2 hands.

15. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Common misconception. He does, but they are ornamental.