1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT -A&M prediction contest, comments, etc. (official thread)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Baqui99, Nov 21, 2001.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

<b>I mean, look, the A&M team is 6th in the Big 12. No other 6th place team in their conference has the type of dedication that A&M fans have. </b>

Penn State is 6th in the Big 10. They draw over 100,000 people per game. As a matter of fact, the game in which they lost to go to 0-5 for the season, they drew over 107,000. I think that's pretty dedicated.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I guess in some sense I look at things in a bad way. I just think there's a lot of stupid crap at UT. Not to say there isn't any at A&M. Take Bonfire. The collapse tragic yes. And there was a lot of good bonding going on when bonfire was around...but..let's just say too many people had their priorities out of wack when bonfire was around. Yet people still are out of wack today. I'm talking in circles...nevermind.

I guess I should of said "typical UT fans." I don't mean bad, just normal...which was my original point all along. A&M fans are the most supportive around. A&M fans never hiss (boo) the team. They teach/brainwash that into you when you get here. We have the number 1 recuited QB in Texas this last year, but no one is yelling out his name even though Farris does kinda suck.

The other incident is typical UT when I should of said typical dumbass ignorance or typical normal people (dumbasses) ignorance. Your school was having final exams and your hoops coach had no clue about it. Hmmmm...is it possible that basketball players don't take finals? (rhetorical question) And he can't imagine why attendance was bad for that game.

As for the pot smoking: I have a good buddy who got kicked out of UT dorms for smoking weed. He got caught once. Many, many, many players on the UT football team smoke hella lota weed and the same people who kicked out my buddy know this, and they do nothing about it. I don't really care that people smoke weed, but just the damn biased unethical treatment by the UT administration is typical UT to me. Again, there is a lot of typical A&M crap too.

The original point of my posting in this thread was that UT fan support is nothing special. It's just like any other major University. A&M has the best fans around. I'm not one of them, but the fact is A&M football fans are the best.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

They were waiting for Joe Pa to break the record. There is nothing special about A&M's season this year. Do you honestly think Penn State pencil pushers (I mean that in a good way, I think they're brilliant students) are more dedicated to football than A&M Aggies. Typical Aggies eat, sleep, and breathe football. It's insane. They talk about it at lunch, dinner, any free time. And things were 10 times more obsessive when bonfire was around. You can't even imagine the dedication back then.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Are these the same Aggies I saw heading for the exit when Ced scored his second td?

Are these the same 2K aggies who filled the 8K seat Reed arena for Melvin Watkins basketball team?

KEEP RC please. He's good for atm.

5. gr8-1

If they are, then why don't they lead the big 12 in sellouts and attendance? They're obcessed and weird, but that doesn't make them the best. Whoop.

6. bobrek

PSU drew 108,000 their last home game and that was AFTER Paterno broke the record. Aggies are certainly dedicated to their team, but there are a number of schools out there that are just as dedicated.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If the stadium was bigger, more people would come. For the 3rd year in a row, A&M has kept on breaking its own record for attendance at a football game in Texas . I have to admit, things have changed since bonfire. There are more and more "2%ers".

So if you don't consider total faith and life dedication to the football team making A&M football fans the best, what is your criteria? I'm not talkin about hoops. I love hoops. I know no one at A&M likes hoops. I'm tired of arguing.

I can't believe y'alls damn burnt orange pride/unacceptance to admit anything "positive" about A&M keeps blinding your eyes and making y'all make stupid arguments. I don't even care anymore. Look, this is coming from me, someone he doesn't like football, someone who doesn't have much pride in his school. If y'all would just spend some time here during football season, you'll know what I mean.

8. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Kim,
    While I agre that AtM football fans are some of the best in the country and I would bet are more supportive than UT fans, there is no way any school tops U of Nebraska fans. We are talking about an entire state that cares about nothing more then the college football team. They travel incredibly well (remember when the Notre Dame-Nebraksa game was more than hlaf red at Notre Dame), NU always has a veyr large number of walk-ons that would get scholarships at many other schools, etc. Would I place AtM fans in the top 5% of college sports fans? Yup.

But I personnaly don't think they compare to Nebraska...

9. bobrek

Why was there only an attendance of 70,000 for the Aggie-McNeese state game? Surely a dedicated fan base like Texas A&M should sell out every game (or come pretty close) regardless of the competition?

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

A&M holds the record for most attendance at a football game in Texas because Kyle Field is the largest football stadium in Texas. It is a tough venue to play at for visitors because of the 12th Man.

However to say A&M has more sellouts than UT is funny. UT sold out every home game this season. A&M sold out 2 games (Notre Dame and Texas). Anyone can walk up to Kyle Field to buy tickets except games against big name opponents. You can't say that about UT. Yeah, A&M has to sell more tickets, but they should because A&M is a football school.

I'm not debating tradition here because that would be endless.

Some comparisons:

UT - maximum capacity 82,500

New Mexico State 82,856
    North Carolina 83,106
    Texas Tech 83,081
    Colorado 83,156
    Kansas 83,111

Texas A&M - maximum capacity 87,000

McNeese 70,656
    OSU 82,601
    Notre Dame 87,206
    Baylor 82,589
    Iowa State 85,661
    Texas 87,555

11. Smokey

The Nebraska game (Oct 1999) was the largest football game in Texas until UT/A&M (Nov 1999) which was then broken several times by the Aggies.

I think OU/A&M (Nov 2000) was the record until UT/A&M (Nov 2001).

12. gr8-1

I'll admit that I think some of the traditions of atm are pretty..... I don't know, I guess a display of loyalty.

But, UT outdraws atm in a smaller stadium. That should mean something.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Let me say it once more: Poooooor AGGGGIIEEEEES!!!!

Talk about penis envy.

14. Smokey

15. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

16. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Unfortunately I missed out on all of the pregame banter. However, upon reading most of the posts, I found a lot of what was said regarding the game (i.e., the predictions) and such to be....laughable. I guess some of the apparent silliness stems from the incessant UT superiority complex that a lot of you are suffering from. Anyways, UT was obviously the better team before and after the game.

17. Smokey

I wasn't around for the predictions however a lot of them were based on last year's 43-17 UT win and the belief that this year's Aggie squad was worse.

I'm actually glad the final score was 21-7 because that guarantees another year of RC Slocum.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

There are more Lakers fans around the world than Kings fans. Does that mean LA has better fans? I guess it's what you decide the criteria to be in order to determine the best fans. In this case, I believe obsessive football eating, breathing, diehard Aggies...you know, all the stuff I stated above: the traditions, the loyalty, the dedication. That's my criteria. There are more people at UT. UT has more fans. So what? Does that make them better? My objective point (objective being I have spent a lot of time at both schools...I like/dislike both cities and schools pretty equally, but just for different reasons) is A&M football fans in general are better fans. Fortunately, I've been able to open some of y'all's eyes up a little to admit this. Look, if it was the exact opposite, I'd gladly say it. I don't care for football much. I just don't like it when people are so blinded by their hatred/needless pride that they state bs as fact.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Amen, Smokey. RC forever.

BTW, I had never been to a game at Kyle before last Friday, so I didn't really have an idea as to just how big of a role that the 12th man plays down there.