1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New PC advice - buy or build?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davo, Nov 1, 2001.

1. davo

davo Contributing Member

I'm finally biting the bullet and buying a new PC. My current one, after numerous problems, has lasted me about 18 months, which is probably enough.

I am an “average” pc user – main uses are internet, mp3 & cd burning, some gaming, and digital video editing. I am considering 2 options

Buy from Dell
    Dimension 4300 Pentium 4 1.6GHz (SDRAM version)
    128MB Ram (which I will upgrade)
    64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX Graphics Card with TV-Out
    40GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
    Floppy
    48 X CDROM
    No Network card (have one already)
    No Modem (have one already)
    Windows ME with XP upgrade
    Integrated Audio with Soundblaster Pro 16 Compatibility
    Price $649 before tax and shipping

Build my Own (sort of)
    Buy Barebones system from Access Micro
    PENTIUM 4 1.5GHz BAREBONE SYSTEM W/ MSI 845 PRO MS-6529 MOTHERBOARD
    423PIN, 400MHz System Bus CPU.
    Kingston 256MB 32x64 PC133 SDRAM.
    In-Win IW-S508-I Pentium 4 Case
    Assembled, Foam & Boxed, includes Heatsink & Fan, 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive

I would then buy
    40GB IBM Deskstar ATA 100 7200 RPM
    MSI GeForce Pro 64MB (MS8831 or GeForce2 Pro)
    Operating system (98SE or XP)
    Cd Rom or DVD
    Soundblaster Live card
    Price $730 before shipping

My thoughts are that I will be safer with the Dell, in terms of support and warranty, but will get a better (potentially) quality and higher performing system with the build my own. I am not particularly computer savvy, and have never built one before. I can also wait a couple of weeks, as Dell may have another sale and I could get it for a bit cheaper.

I also have some specific questions:-
    What is the general quality of the components that Dell will provide? Are the motherboards and graphics card generic or low quality?
    Is there a big difference between the GeForce MX card offered by Dell and the GeForce Pro, especially for a casual gamer like myself? – I still like to play 3D games and would like to play more, but I am not hardcore, and usually play games a year or so old.
    What is the integrated Audio on the Dell like? Good enough?
    Will I have any compatibility problems with old games/software and hardware with Windows ME or XP? I plan on installing my old network card, CD Writer, Firewire card into the new PC.

Sorry for the long winded message, but any help would be appreciated.

2. davo

davo Contributing Member

Any help would be appreciated :(

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Buy the dell, but don't get a brand new one built to order go to Dell Factory outlet, it will save you like 30%, and you get the same warranty, I have been buying DFO machines for my companies for over 4 years, and out of hundreds we purchased we have not had ONE problem.

DaDakota

4. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I would go for the Dell. Hardware compatibility and drivers can be such a pain in the neck. You'll end up getting Windows 2000 and the video card manufacturere won't support 2000. As a result you have to use a driver that causes weird behavior with something else. Getting the Dell eliminates that kind of stuff. Also, you'll be glad that someone else installed the operating system and drivers. I don't know how much you value your own time, but you can rest assured that it will take a while to get going.

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

Where is it? Do I Have to go to Austin? Don't say yes - I just drove back to Houston from Fredericksberg today!

EDIT - just found it online. Thanks.

#5 davo, Nov 5, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2001
  6. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I have to second the "Buy from Dell" vote.

Just their service alone is worth it.

I have used Dell for the last 3 yrs at work/home and they have been great. Only problems have been a bad monitor which was replaced next day and a bad motherboard on a 3yr old laptop.

7. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I hate Dell....... I worked there for a year and a half and it was like a sweatshop, but they do make a damn good computer :D

The thing that sucks about ordering a "custom built" computer from Dell, is that you have to buy speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc. The only thing you can take off is the monitor. And expect to bend over for shipping costs (about $100). But no one comes close to their quality, and support.

Actually I built my own about 6 months ago, and its super fast (at least for me it is) The key I think is loading up on RAM. Mines an AMD Athalon 750 mhz with 256 mb RAM and 30GB hard drive. I spent a grand total of $450.00 on it and I havent had a problem with it yet (knock on wood).

8. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

The one in Austin closed a year ago. Here is the link where you can find them now.

http://www.dell.com/outlet/

I would recommend not going with a refurb. just from personal experience.

oops didnt read see the edit...... What were you doing in Fredericksburg?

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Dells are not as good as advertised.

The reason they are cheap is that they use the cheapest parts and the cheapest labor to put them together.

Gateway has a pretty good deal going on right now, buy a computer get a flat screen monitor. Those flat screens are pretty expensive alone, and I think the computer they are hocking with it is decent and about $999.

I worked for Compaq and I can't recommend a Compaq unless your looking for a handheld, laptop, or server. Their desktops leave something to be desired. Allthough I've had one for about 3 years now and put some pretty rigorous programs on it without ever having a problem with it.

A lot of "Computer Experts" don't like Compaq PC's, but truthfully, my family has had three and never had a problem. I keep hearing how awful they are, yet never have experienced it. There, laptops, servers, and Ipaq handhelds are top notch though.

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I bought 3 Dell machines. Their service started excellent, then they shipped an expensive dog to me and totally failed to support it or stand by their warranty (they wanted to add an extra month at then end when they did not meet their turnaround at all - why would I want an extra month of ****ty service?). The machine I received had bad video drivers, the CD ROM needed a BIOS patch, and the hard drive started failing immediately (that happens, but they would not replace it until it FAILED COMPLETELY). You think debugging a PC is diffcult, try debugging with 3 different problems and one is bad video drivers.

I spent 2 weeks of my own time trying to debug the piece of crap, after spending over $6,000. It was about 5 years ago, but IMHO, they suck.

The only problem with the outlet notebook that I bought was a problem with the keyboard screwing up periodically. Very annoying.

I liked Gateway's service more, but they don't always seem overly competent. Atlas boxes seem to test well (CNet: http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1016.html?tag=dir ). My father bought one and it is fast (had some bad RAM thoigh). I don't know how good their service is.

C-Net mentions that the Dimension 8100 could have better sound (http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2645860-8-5577589-1.html?tag=txt), so I would question whether the system that you are looking at will have decent sound.

You question regarding differences between OEM products and retail is a good one. Their are often material differences between OEM and retail, so be careful.

Also, if you buy a system, I think that you can forget tinkering with it. I believe your warranty is void if you remove the case.

11. davo

davo Contributing Member

Thanks guys,

I will have to check into the warranty issue, as I will most definitely be removing the cover, to install my firewaire card, cd burner, network card and RAM.

Does anyone know what Dell means when they say "Next day in home service" Do they come out and provide service in your home?

I'm leaning towards getting the Dell, especially since I now have a $100 credit voucher. However, if the warranty is void when I openthe box, that negates a lot of the pluses. I will call them and find out.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can open the box to add things. We added all kinds of things to our machines and whenever they had to come out, they sent a 3rd party guy to fix the machine, so don't worry about opening up the box.

DaDakota

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Thats better than others like Compaq, who actually had a sticker on the case to void the warranty when opened.