1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas Morning News: Adelman or Brown?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gucci888, May 20, 2007.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Dallas Morning News -
    The Mavericks may be closer to losing one of their assistant coaches, but won't be losing their head coach.

The minute Houston dismissed coach Jeff Van Gundy, it was certain that Avery Johnson's name would pop up in the rumor mill.

But apparently, there's nothing to it, as the Rockets appear close to hiring either Rick Adelman or Larry Brown as Van Gundy's successor.

2. aamir

aamir Member

Oh god I hope we don't see Larry Brown on a Rockets' sideline... I can stomach Adelman, but please, no.

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

lol, how egotistical is that...?

Since when was it "certain" that Avery Johnson's name would pop up in the rumor mill? Only to the Dallas Morning News....

4. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Id like Larry, but since this is the only source Ive heard this from, Ill take it with a grain of salt . . .

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

brown = another JVG w/ more success. he coaches the exact same way. and he's more annoying. detroit players were actually ecstatic to see him leave after winning a ring w/ him. that's just sad

6. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Yeah no doubt. Good catch brotha.

7. ALLEN7628

ALLEN7628 Member

Well, Avery was for a short time a Rocket and I think he still makes his home in Houston, so it's not a stretch to assume that his name would come up.

8. jinyaomac

jinyaomac Member

BIG NONO to L.Brown... NO!

9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

if larry brown is the new rockets coach i will absolutely go insane. :mad:

brown has caused heartache and discontent wherever he has gone.

this franchise will be officially in the sh!tter if he is hired.

10. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Link?

11. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What the hell is the problem with Avery coming here? Yes we all hate the Mavs. But Avery Johnson is one of the top 15 coaches in major sports. He could wipe the floor with Adelman. If we have any kind of shot at AJ we should make it happen. But we don't. Dallas is in better position.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He is? He just lost to the 8th seed.

14. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i really don't see it. AJ walked right into a good team with good ideas of his own. but i seriously don't see him being better than adelman. and as was just pointed out, he couldn't figure out how to beat an 8th seed.

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

If Brown gets hired I will stop watching our games and lose all respect towards Les. After what Brown did to NY, I don't see how any team would want this ancient sickly person with no heart to be on their sideline. Replacing JVG with LB is a total slap and disrespect to Houston's fans.

Btw, for all you Bonzi lovers who surprisingly still has hopes him to still play for us.. this is a good reason for you not to root for Brown also.

I'm almost sure though that Brown will not get this job. If Les wants a run and gun team, then Brown is definitely not the guy... not that we're capable of playing that style anyways.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Jeff lost to him 2 years ago.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

is avery really that great? he's good. but remember that he inherited the best team in the league. that's what makes his career record one of the best starts of all time.

look at flip saunders record with the pistons. if that's how he started his career he'd be thaught of as one of the best of all time too.

avery is a good coach who can become a great coach. adleman is a great coach. he's a championship type coach who just happened to lose to some of the best teams the nba has ever had (bulls, jazz, lakers, spurs...). avery lost to a fluke of a champion and the 8th seed.

i'd take adleman over avery for the rockets right now because we're looking to win asap. if i were a younger team like the bulls i'd take an up and coming coach like avery.

18. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

Larry Brown would be a terrible choice. What's a matter with Les? Can't he think outside of the box?

19. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

Larry Brown would be the most sensible choice but the decision will be up to Larry. I'd thank my lucky stars if we had Brown coaching instead of Adelman.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

LB is a winner. however, you have to get him the players he wants, and get rid of every last one of the players he doesn't or there will be a huge mess.

he wants controll over roster moves. he wants to break down his players before building them up. this takes about a year. another year wasted. he will leave after about 2 or 3 years if he doesn't think the team can win it all. maybe there will be another great coach available that summer, maybe not.

lets go with a safe choice. brown is better than adleman but with a risk of explotion. adleman is still a championship type coach with a history of loyalty and professionalism.