1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Willis Not the Same Guy We Remember

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL...where the hell did that come from? :rolleyes: It has nothing to do with how big your muscles are (it's not a muscle!) or how tall you are...

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Jeff,You are right about what we wanted Marc Jackson do to.To be a valuable backup at both the 5 and 4 spots.But the Rockets had him inked to a 6 year deal becuase we thought he would be of importance to us in the long run as well which is not the case with Willis.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It's not like we're asking Kevin to be the first option on offense or something. He's just got to handle the Malone's and Duncan's once in awhile. Cato will be ineffective and injured at times, and we'll need Willis to step up and play smart and tough. The backcourt and Rice will handle the scoring.

As far as age, as long as he can grab some boards and push some PFs and Cs around, I'm happy.

5. bishop

bishop Member

damn, i did miss out on alot p1st, s2nd! i see we got our information from the same source. if you get anymore grief on your A. Radojevic question, i have your back.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Gee, I remember Willis as a quality back-up big man who can start a few games if need be.

If he ain't that guy I want my 2nd rounder back.

7. TIburon

TIburon Member

All I was worried about this season was the middle and now we seem to have solidified that position...

We have most of the guys that we watch grow in Franchise, Norris, Cat, Torres, Rice, Morris, Griffin, KT, Mo-T, and Cato for the next 3-4 years...

Others that may or may not be here Jones, Williams, Langhi, Collier and Willis... after this season (these guys need to have solid season) Houston may still have to let some of these guys go...

Next season we will need another Center no doubt but thats next season...

So lets just get ready for this season and worry about next season after the playoffs... WHOAAA YEAH I SAID PLAYOFFS!!!

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

It's how big your feet are!!!

I need to go jogging now...let me get my size 17 Nikes!!!:D :D

9. carlos

carlos Member

First off lets remember that we all expected we would start the season with an old player at center. While I would rather have kept Olajuwon, he pretty much priced himself off our team. While Willis does not have the level of talent that Olajuwon has he also does not have Olajuwons ego. Willis will be perfectly happy to get limited minutes to back up Cato, something that Olajuwon would not have been to happy to do.

This has to be Cato's season. A barometer of how well we are doing will be the number of minutes that Willis gets. If Willis gets more minutes or replaces Cato as a starter (not due to injury) then it is going to be a long hard season.

10. FranchiseBoi86

Dikembe Mutombo is also very old, he's still in his prime. Willis kicked his A$$ when he was with us. Maybe he'll do very good on our team.

11. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

It can still be Cato's breakout year and Willis ensures that happens or else. Why not Willis and Cato out there at the same time? Against San Antonio, Portland, LA Lakers this would work. With Rice at 6' 8" that's a big front line with a lot of rebounding and scoring punch. And strong backups: Griffin, Kenny Thomas, Collier. It works even with Taylor back. And Willis is going to be a good instructor by example for Griffin. Willis has great work ethic and stays in peak shape. Excellent move. :D

12. Flying_4_ever

Flying_4_ever Member

according to his stats from last season he looks like the same guy we had in 98. Lets not forget he was too old when we had him a few years ago, and he's too old now. He is just in great shape, and he is still a great rebounder. Forget hte scoring, as long as we finally got our rebounder. :D

13. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

We got a taller Dennis Rodman without the baggage - for a second round draft pick! :D

14. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

And the "Gayest Post of the Year" Award goes to.............

FROMOBILE!!!!!

The Rockets did the best thing that they could have done in filling a hole for one year. With Mo coming back next year, we really just needed someone for this year. He is cheap, productive, and plays all year long. Willis is a perfect solution to our problem.

And all you can think about is his unit.

15. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

And we were thinking about trying to get guys like Jim Mclivane, Gatling, and scrubs like them.:rolleyes:

Great job with CD!!!!! Great Job!

16. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Its just so nice and relaxing now knowing we don't have to rely on Collier's fat overated butt out there and have someone with some aathletic ability instead!:D

17. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

Posters, Please! Must my gender and sexuality be questioned in such a situation? This is the year 2001.

Where I come from, things are simple. Kevin Willis comes off as the kind of guy who has an enormously large Johnson, and dammit, that's important. You homophobes can ignore this type of talk if you like, but I'm here to talk about basketball, and every aspect of the game of basketball, which includes every aspect of the players who play basketball. Why do you think Rudy T Kept Charles Jones all those years??? HELLO!?!?! People!!! How naive can you get???

18. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Oh gosh, i had to post next to this Joc Supporter!:eek:

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Willis keeps himself in great shape. He works out all offseason and comes in ready to play. Historicaly, guys like that have been able to extend their careers quite a bit. I expect him to be quite a bit more durable than most think. Last year he played 78 games and the year before 79. I still think It'd be good to limit him to about 25 minutes a game, only because we need time to develop the people who'll be here long term, but if Cato gets hurt, I have no problem playing him 35 minutes a game.

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Great move CD! Once again management was out thinking us board toads.

KW is absolutely perfect for what we needed. We weren't going to get a top tier 5, so next best think is a solid veteran with some attributes.

KW can score and board w/the top 10 centers when he's on. When he's off, he can beat up the other guy's 5. Like everyone has said, he'll be a great vet influence on our young guys and he may just push Cato to the next level.

OUTSTANDING MOVE...and we stole him from a division rival...Kiki and Dan--THANKS!!!!