1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you seen these explosives??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Oct 11, 2001.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

700 Pounds Of Explosives Stolen From Warehouse

excerpt:
    "Investigators are searching for 700 pounds of explosives that were discovered missing from a northeast Houston warehouse Wednesday afternoon.

The federal government has also joined the investigation as a precaution in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

The explosives are shaved charges, and they were stolen sometime between Saturday and Tuesday night from Air Jack Drilling at North Beltway 8 and Lockwood."

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What were the blasting caps and explosives doing together?

3. treeman

treeman Member

Well that can't be good.

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Insurance fraud with a coincedence or something much worse. Lets hope for the former.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Keep your eyes and ears open...

<i>FBI Issues Terror Strikes Warning

By JOHN SOLOMON
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - In a stark warning, the FBI said Thursday it has received information there may be additional terrorist attacks inside the United States or abroad in the next several days.

The bureau said its information does not identify specific targets, but it has asked local police to be on the highest alert and for all Americans to be wary of suspicious activity.

``Certain information, while not specific as to target, gives the government the reason to believe that there may be additional terrorist attacks within the United States and against U.S. interests overseas over the next several days,'' the FBI said in its warning.

``The FBI has again alerted all local law enforcement to be on the highest alert and we call on all people to immediately notify the FBI and local law enforcement of any unusual or suspicious activity,'' it said.

The statement provided no additional information.

It was the FBI's second request this week that law enforcement move to its highest state of alert. The first was on Sunday.

Thursday's statement was the first to suggest attacks might occur within several days.

Attorney General John Ashcroft and FBI Director Robert Mueller have said they intend to alert Americans to any credible threats about future terrorist plans.

In recent days, the FBI has asked supervisors of water supplies, nuclear and electric power plant operators, owners of crop dusters and drivers of hazardous waste trucks among others to increase security to ward off attacks.

``We are working to do everything possible and we would enlist the help of citizens in that,'' Ashcroft said earlier Thursday, before the FBI warning was issued.</i>

http://wire.ap.org/APnews/?SITE=PANOR&FRONTID=HOME

6. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

oh great.

Houston area has some rather tempting terrorist targets, I would imagine.

7. mc mark

MrSpur I read somewhere (I'll have to see if I can find it) that the ship channel and Pasadena was #4 on the FBI's list of most likley targets.

8. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Yep.

Hope the security is tight.

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Dolts! Can't they protect their explosives?

10. Summer Song Giver

Just wondering if you'd had any luck that's all.

11. mc mark

Summer Song

Not yet I just got home from work. And I must admit it was a couple of years ago that I read it.

I'll try...

Oh man. Working in Times Square, I just keep having these thoughts of those Bruce Willis movies with the guys with the briefcase nuclear devices...

12. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Hey mc mark,

If you ever find your list, see if the NORAD installation at Cheyenne Mt is on there.

13. rock

rock Member

Didn't terrorists threaten to unleash hell in 2 days?

14. mc mark

Whelp, no luck.

I know it was in "the Village Voice". But they don't have anything in the archives of their website.

But I do remember being concerned that Houston was so high on the FBI's website.

Sorry folks

15. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

EXPLOSIVES FOUND!!!

Oct. 12, 2001, 1:06PM

Explosives stolen in Harris County are recovered

All the explosives stolen from a portable bunker in east Harris County earlier this week have been recovered, U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms just announced today.

ATF spokeswoman Franceska Perot said the 700 pounds of shaped charges were found buried in a rural location today.

The explosives, discovered missing late Tuesday afternoon, were kept in a rural area near North Beltway 8 and Lockwood.

The materials belonged to AirJac Drilling, which also does business under the name Veritas DGC Land
    Inc. AirJac has a Harris County office, but does most of its business from New Iberia, La.

Suspects have been taken into custody in connection with the theft of the explosives. Perot could not yet comment on their motives, but said ATF plans a press conference later today.