1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

more Longhorn talk

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chievous minniefield, Oct 10, 2001.

Tags:
  1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

here is a quote I got from the mack brown Texas football website:

"Coaches Comments: This team has a lot of pride, and I thought it showed in today's practice. They understand they have a job to do this week. We challenged the offense. We told players at several positions that we are going to grade every play in practice, and the ones who play the best in practice will get to play in the game. I am not going to say who those players or positions were, but we have enough depth now to do that, and we need to pick it up. We need guys who are going to make plays to have a chance to do that. And they need to prove it by the way they practice."

this was brown talking after Tuesday's practices.

my question to any interested Horn followers is this: which positions do you think he's referring to? who are the involved players? and what changes, if any, do you think they'll make personnel-wise?

are we talking about linemen? cedric? qb?

what do y'all think?

2. Major

Major Member

<B>my question to any interested Horn followers is this: which positions do you think he's referring to? </B>

oh, pllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeee be referring to QB. Just think, if Applewhite sucks, then y'all (Simms supporters) can shut me up about UT football for a long time. And you can always refer to this whenever you're arguing with me about something! :)

3. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Some caller on Longhorn Sportsline didn't hold anything back.

To paraphrase his call:

'Coach, your staff had one year to prepare for OU. The gameplan was very unimaginative. You guys knew OU was the only tough team on our schedule. The game was very important. Why did you not put in Major? Simms was overthrowing and underthrowing. Why did we not run?'

Mack's response:

'You lost all credibility when you said our schedule is not tough'

---

Mack is talking about credibility :)

5. Major

Major Member

<B>Mack's response:

'You lost all credibility when you said our schedule is not tough' </B>

Seriously? We have the easiest schedule of any national title contender, Miami included. The only tough games would have been OU and the Big 12 championship. Colorado could also be in the mix, but that's it.

If he thinks this year's schedule was tough, I wonder what he will think of next year when he replaces @ Missouri, Kansas, and Colorado with @ Nebraska, @ K-State, and Iowa State. Don't forget going to North Carolina instead of playing here.

6. Smokey

The blind followers make me sick. Mack went as bold tonight as saying its not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN we win a national championship.

Back it up Mack.

And Spurrier told Stoops to tell Mack to **** off :D

Okay, okay I don't know what Spurrier told Stoops to tell Mack today, but Stoops said it wasn't appropriate for a press conference.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Cedric Benson has shown flashes of brilliance according to some fb players I've talked to. He might actually be the starter in Stillwater this Saturday. As far as Major is concerned, he can continue to ride the pine. Simms was Mack's hand-picked boy from day 1. Mack will live and die by Chris Simms.

This was written by a NU fan:

A.P. - In a surprise press conference today, Coach Frank Solich has announced that Eric Crouch, the most prolific runner at the QB position in Nebraska history, will sit the bench when Oklahoma comes calling October 27th.

"I know that Eric sure has shown his stuff over the years," said Solich to a stunned group of reporters. "But Jamaal Lord has more athletic promise. Why, he is 2 inches taller and a few pounds heavier, has a stronger arm, and probably has a better chance of making it as a QB in the NFL. Plus Eric had a shoulder injury last year, and I have a feeling that it could flair up again on that day, so I better get Jamaal in. I also have contacted the Big XII office, and nominated Jamaal for Conference Offensive Player of the Year."

When asked if he would consider inserting the perfectly healthy senior signal-caller into the OU game should the Huskers fall behind, say, 7-3 in the second half with the offense going nowhere, Solich replied, "Well, that would be the obvious thing to do. But then, that's why I'm the coach and you'all are reporters."

When asked why he would use the term "you'all" since he is originally from Ohio and has lived in Nebraska nearly all his adult life, Solich revealed that he and Athletic Director Bill Byrne have been studying the Texas Longhorn football program, and trying to emulate it. "After all" added Byrne, "everyone knows Texas has more wins over Oklahoma than anyone. We want to have a program like theirs"

In an effort to do this, Byrne has given Solich a raise to $3 million a season; removed all National Championship trophies from the trophy cases that the school has won over the past 30 years; and has informed Penn State and Southern Mississippi that Nebraska will not honor contracted road games at their respected campuses, because to do so would prove to be an unfair financial burnden on the athletic department, and cause the players to miss too
    much class time . . .

8. Major

Major Member

from the Houston Chronicle:

"I just don't think that's everyone's business to know how I feel about what's going on." - University of Texas backup quarterback Major Applewhite when asked about starter Chris Simms' troubles this season

9. Smokey

'People who criticize and question our players and coaches are not Texas fans. It hurts our recruiting when negative messages are posted on the internet. I don't read newspapers, but my wife Sally does. Sometimes she'll bring something to my attention and I'll need to talk to a recruit. We need to have a fan ID for callers - that will reveal who the real Texas fans are.'

~ Mack Brown

Response:

Bob Stoops

10. Major

Major Member

<B>'People who criticize and question our players and coaches are not Texas fans. It hurts our recruiting when negative messages are posted on the internet. </B>

Wow, he's starting to get a bit pissy. Maybe we wouldn't need such great recruiting if we actually played our best players. :)

11. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

okay, I love mack brown, but that quote is just stupid.

let's start taking bets now on how many people will fill up DKR-TM stadium in 2 weeks vs. Colorado when only the "fans" who don't criticize or question the players and coaches are allowed in. . .

"TEXAS FIGHT" is going to sound kind of meek.

for that matter, why don't we also bar from playing and coaching any player or coach who has ever criticized or questioned the team?

is that a chink beginning to form in mack's armor? why is he being this way? that's a bad move.

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

i see OSU has decided to get cocky this week, sounding as if theyre top 25 material, i saw the article in the Texan, they think because OU shut us down they can, lol

they will be lucky to be within 30 thats the bottom line

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Who cares if we score 85 this week, we needed 15 last week. We need to stop talking until we actually deliver. Mac seems to be losing it. Instead of learning from his last two debacles against the Sooners and questioning what he and his staff did (or did not due) to prepare and adjust during the game he is defensive and lashing out at the media and fans, not a good sign at all.

14. Smokey

Mack contacted a Louisiana district attorney to be a character witness in the case against Evangel Christian's head coach. A 15 year old girl claims EC's head coach had sex with her in his pickup.

Chase Pittman, EC's best player, committed to UT on Sept 16.

Hmmm....has the NCAA heard about this yet? ;)

edit - i'm still bitter so excuse my posts.

#14 Smokey, Oct 12, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2001
  15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Smokey, the Soonerfans are all over this one. Mack should stay the hell away from this scandal. I know that Evangel has been a steady pipeline for Texas since he's been here, but this is ridiculous.

BTW, Chase is a 4 star recruit.

16. Smokey

more opinions

It seems that there are more Major supporters than ever! Put in Applewhite. Do the right thing. Simms sucks.

#16 Smokey, Oct 12, 2001
  17. Major

Major Member

Smokey, I found this one particularly funny:

<I>Lousy UT fans

Hearing the sentiment echoed across campus that an interception-ridden performance of Chris Simms cost us the Red River Shootout has fortified my assessment <B>that our football team enjoys fans that rank amongst the lousiest and most unaware in the nation</B>.

These "fans" have become spoiled and complacent, engrossed in unreasonable expectations of their quarterback that stem from years of lore when Ricky Williams graced the field and Major <B>Applewhite toppled countless passing records. Applewhite rewrote the record books not just because he is a good quarterback, but because he had the best running back in NCAA history in his backfield.</B> Ricky forced defenses to concentrate on shutting him down, and Applewhite rode his coattails into the record books because there was no pressure on the passing game.

Ricky is gone, and all that has changed. Meanwhile, no blame has been placed upon Saturday's anemic performance of the running game or the offensive line that surrendered five sacks. Not a whisper that one of Simms' interceptions was completely out of his control.

<B>UT fans aren't required to be intelligent enough to figure that out</B>, but they should be sensible enough not to vilify any player in burnt orange. When you defame one of our own, you make your allegiance to this school laughable. Wise up, or you'll get what you ask for: Both Simms and the god you perceive Applewhite to be will be gone and the offense will be just as pathetic as your claim to support the Longhorns.

Austin Kinghorn

Pre-journalism sophomore
    </I>

Funny that the guy b****es about how ignorant the fans are, while the guy doesn't even know that Major Applewhite broke all those records the year after Ricky left.

18. Smokey

Someone please write a response to this guy's ignorant comments.

I couldn't find the e-mail addy but I'm gonna check with a hard copy of the paper.

19. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Here, this is some Foghorn talk for you.

[​IMG]

Oops, you said longhorn, not Foghorn....sorry.

#19 Behad, Oct 12, 2001