1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More than 16 colors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Sep 29, 2001.

Tags:
  1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I've installed my new HD in my WIN98 machine...
    But of course, I've lost everything and my PC is basically back at square one. I have let Windows detect the monitor and video card but I'm stuck with 2 or 16 colors and my resolution is like HUGE!! 640x480 I have no options for 16bit color or the ability to up my resolution to anything bigger... I know I'm missing something basic... I've tried to load VGA drivers from the original utilities disk that came with my cheap @ss PC, but I'm not having any luck... ideas?

rH

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

-Turn your PC on and go on into Safe Mode
    -Change the driver for your video card back to Standard VGA
    -Reboot
    -When you turn it back on, and it asks for the driver, supply the disks
    -If that doesn't work, repeat steps, but this time download new drivers for your video card first.

Try that.

One final change would be when you turn on your PC after you change it to Standard VGA, cancel past the video card install. Then run the setup from the driver set.

Good luck! I'm at 1152 x 864. 640x480 would drive me crazy!

3. rockHEAD

thanks coma, i'll give it a shot...
    i too am usually at 1100+ resolution
    640 at 16 colors IS driving me nutz...

rH

4. rockHEAD

well...I couldn't get the old video card to recognize any drivers I installed. I just replaced the whole darn video card. It's weird though, with the new video card I can go from 1024 resolution straight to 1600 with nothing in-between... 1600 is ridiculous so 1024 will have to do...

rH