1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should draft Acie Law

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anitasri, Mar 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

He'll be gone by the time we pick. Would be a helluva value pick though. Would have to learn to run an offense and defer to 2 superstars. Van Gundy would make sure of that.

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

He could be a nice backup PG for us.

My idea would be to trade Luther and draft Morris Almond to take his spot.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Why would we trade a known commodity for a guy who we have no idea will be good or not?

4. yowyao

yowyao Member

kevin durant :D

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree. Morris Almond actually played for the Aggies 2 years ago. Except his name was Antoine Wright. Look at him now. And Almond plays a weak schedule.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

That's the exact comparison I've always made. A slightly shorter, quicker Cat.

7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

"He kinda has some vince young in him actually"

BINGO!

Acie and Vince are absolutely cut from the same cloth. Say what you want to about either one of them, but at the end of the day they are both OUTSTANDING leaders and absolute money at clutch time. Vince is a much better athlete, but Acie does as much with what he was given as any basketball player I have ever seen.

8. kevwun

kevwun Member

His shot is ugly because it has absolutely no spin. It looks like a knuckleball.

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

That's better than Kenny Smith's screwball rotation and he had a pretty nice career.

10. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Acie going to be a Clipper. With Livingston injured and Cassell old enough to collect social security, the Clippers need another PG in the worst way....

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man, I'd absolutely LOVE to have him on our roster. Although IMO, I doubt he'll be anywhere near our pick. The man is CLUTCH!

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Isn't that what a 2 guard is supposed to do? :D

13. torrr

torrr Member

He doesn't shoot too much. He scores a lot because he is the best player on the team, but he has no problem deferring to a teammate in a better position.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Torrr is right. He in know was is a shoot 1st PG. He simply HAS to. He only shoots in the 2nd half when he NEEDS to. He is the most mature team player I have seen in college bball in years. If you think he is a shoot 1st guy then watch some damn games before you open your mouth.

15. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

i honestly think D.J. Augustin is a better player than Rafer as i type this.

16. AggieRocketFan96

DJ Augustin is a great prospect, I think he will go on to have a nice NBA career. But when it comes to fit (and excuse my bias), Acie Law would be perfect for the Rox. He has proven he can be a pass first PG and plays lock-down defense. And if needed, he can hit the big shot under pressure. He would be an upgrade to our current situation, I think he could step in right now and play better than Rafer, JL3, and VSpan. One thing you don't see when watching Acie play is stupid turnovers, ridiculous airball layup floaters, ill-timed 3-point jacking up, careless decision-making, and poor defense. So yeah, I would put him in a Rox uniform if it was even in the realm of possibility.

17. MManal

MManal Member

Despite my Longhorn affiliations I have to admit Acie Law is the guy the Rockets should be targeting this draft. Unfortunately, Law will likely be slotted as a late lottery pick by draft time esp if he leads the Aggies to the Final Four. Players that are this clutch come around very rarely and Law would be a perfect fit around Yao and T-Mac.

There definitely are some similarities between Law and Mobley in terms of their ability to create their own shots off the dribble, being able to consistently get to the basket and having very strong mid range games. The difference, however, is that Law has 10x the basketball IQ of Mobley and has a much better handle of when to pass and when to shoot than Mobley did when he first entered the league. Also, Law is considered a very good one on one defender and has really developed tremendously under Gillespie on this side of the floor. Law has also improved a TON as a player esp in the last 2 years which shows that he has the gym rat mentality and will get better each year.

This may seem a bit premature, but Law has Jason Terry type upside if he is put in the correct system. Remember, Terry was considered a bust when in Atlanta but then all of a sudden is a very key component of the Mavs team. Terry was never the money 3 pt shooter that he is now until he arrived in Dallas. Law btw is shooting a very high percentage from 3 pt range this year (even though it is college distance). If I were the Rockets, I would try to trade up into the late lottery or mid first round to get Law because this would essentially solve the PG dilemma for a while. Also, Law is an NBA ready prospect and could easily split time with Rafer next year.

18. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Rockets should draft the entire NCAA.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If they did this board would still want vspan and Novak starting... Or possibly bring Langhi back.

20. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Acie Law is the next Cuttino Mobley.