1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan and Scottie

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by j-bone, Sep 26, 2001.

1. j-bone

j-bone Member

I have a hypothetical question for yall. Each time that MJ retired, we all wondered what type of player Scottie Pippen would be. We wondered, "Did Jordan make Scottie more than he really was?", "Can Scottie handle the load by himself?" We were all saying how Jordan made the role players around him that much better.

Now my question to you is, "How will Jordan fare without Scottie?", "Batman without Robin?"

Let's get one thing straight guys, I am not a Scottie Pippen fan, especially after he shafted us after one year. Also, I am not questioning Jordans leadership and greatness because he is the greatest. But I wonder just how much Jordan needs Scottie as much as Scottie needed Jordan?

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Batman without Robin was still friggin' awesome.

To further the comic book analogy, Robin without Batman could not exist and had to invent a new identity for himself. Robin became Nightwing to distinguish himself from his more-famous counterpart, because he knew he could never exist without proving he could do things on his own. The first thing he did was create a new self in Nightwing.

MJ would have continued to be MJ. Maybe a title or two less. He still had Paxon, Rodman, Kerr, and several others to fill the void ala Hakeem and the 1994 Rockets.

Like Batman, MJ would have continued. Like Robin, Pippen could not exist without his more famous counterpart. Unlike Nightwing, Pippen could never do it on his own.

3. j-bone

j-bone Member

But don't you think with the Wizards, it's just going to be Batman and alot of "butlers"?

4. FranchiseBoi86

He has Richard Hamilton and Cortney Alexander

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Yes, I do think that. The Wizards have some good young talent, but they'll need a few years to gel and develop chemistry and all that. MJ should be done by then. He's old for a ball player now, but he's not yet so old that he can't play. Whatever though. I thought you were referring to 'back in the day.'

MJ isn't going to win anything with the Wizards. We all know that. He knows that. In relation to what I wrote up above, there is a difference in having good and consistant role players around you like MJ and Hakeem both did and having a team of either no talent or what is more-or-less rookie talent.

What I meant is MJ would still be MJ whether he was paired with Pippen or not. He might have a few less titles, but he'd still be considered one of the greatest ever. MJ makes the 50 greatest no matter who he plays with. IMO, no way in hell does Scottie Pippen make the 50 Greatest list without MJ.

6. j-bone

j-bone Member

Lynus302, the reference was to the present rather than the past. Also, I totally agree with you about the Fifty greatest. I definitely believe that Scottie shouldn't be on there along with some others that I won't mention. But I do know of two players who belong on there without question, Calvin Murphy and Shaq.