1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sportswriters Owe Rick Reilly an Apology

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CBrownFanClub, Sep 25, 2001.

1. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Everyone, pretty much to a man, called Reilly r****ded when he sccoped them saying Jordan was coming back in April. ESPN, CNNsi... everyone thought he was making it up. He was dogged as incompetent, etc. I would love to know who his source was, he nailed this one. Props to Rick Reilly.

CBFC

ps. screw jordan

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Or he could've been guessing. If he's right, he looks like a genius. If he's wrong, people have forgotten about the prediction by November.

3. Houstone

Houstone Member

Rick Reilly was on "The Last Word" and he was bragging that he was right.:D

4. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

While I agree that Reilly should get kudo's for the Jordan call, he really blew it on the Barry Bonds character assassination article. I still like his writing but he blew it by lying or improperly researching his slam on Bonds. Therefore i don't think the sports world should exactly bow down to him...

5. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

You guys know why Reilly wrote that Bonds article? He had gone to SF to type up one of those lame "Bonds is misunderstood" diatribes to try and place himself in the equally lame group of people who like hating on the old Bulls, or other established ways of thinking. Just to try and act contrarian and hipper than us.

Bonds never gave him his story, because Bonds blew Reilly off on whatever weekend Reilly was in SF. Pissed off, Rick went to Jeff Kent (as much an ass as Bonds is, but more accomodating to the press...Kent didn't show for his Giants team picture either) and loaded his notebook with the anti-Bonds stuff that warms everyone's heart.

If we have to apologize to Reilly, than Reilly should have to apologize to us for that awful article he wrote last year that told the world how bad a GM MJ was.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Not only sportswriters, but Jordan himself. One of the things I <A href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1325">posted before</a> was that Jordan owes Reilly an apology for basically calling him a liar and fabricating the story when we all know Jordan just wanted to make this grand, shocking entrance.

Thank goodness this crap is over.... I got <B>so damn tired</B> of ESPN and CNNSI having on the front page literally <I>daily stories</I> about Jordan.....

"Trainer thinks Jordan return is 50/50"
    "Barkley moves in with MJ"
    "Jordan's rib 64.32% healed"
    "Roomate of Friend of owner of Wizards says Jordan could return"

I agree with the ESPN writer -- <B>it bores me</B>.

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Charles Barkley basically admitted he was Reilly's source a few days after the story broke. I'm amazed anyone doubted the story. Was it David Aldridge that wrote "no way"? LOL.

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Right on dude! Reilly is obviously an egotistical chump in search of being noticed. Well Reilly, I've noticed you suck!

As for this whole MJ scharade.....YAWN.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I agree that Reilly is egotistical, I find this to be true of almost all sports writers and commentators. They generally have to have a certain amount of arrogance about them to be so supremely confident in their opinions and ideas.

In general, I have enjoyed Rick Reilly's articles, particularly the one where he read Derek Jeter's fan mail.

10. KellyDwyer

"I agree with the ESPN writer -- it bores me."

Gotta disagree moose...nothing about this league bores me.

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Yeah, say that after a Knicks-Heat game.

:)

12. KellyDwyer

150 points of fun!

13. KellyDwyer

Sorry for the double post, but I can't tell you how many goose bumps I got at 11:30 my time on a Sunday in prep for a game that wouldn't break 140 until the free throws set in (T's and otherwise) over the last minute. Miami/Knicks might be a bad example. Bob Hill bored me.

Brian Hill too.

But back to the subject: when Reilly puts his mind to it (no pretense, no agenda), he can be terrific. Amazing. Stuff. Otherwise, he's a real case. I miss the rotating "Point After"s that SI used to do.