1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN insider(mention of rockets as a possible landing spot for Maggette?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steefrancis, Jan 4, 2007.

1. steefrancis

steefrancis Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=2710222

Have he and his brother Gavin fallen out of love with Artest?

"No, not at all. He's had two great practices, he's upbeat, he's made comments lately that make a lot of sense. So I don't want to make any other comments other than Artest has been great," Maloof said.

But those who spend more time around the team than the co-owners would beg to differ, and the scuttlebutt going around the league this week was that Geoff Petrie has decided the most prudent course of action is to cut the cord with Artest before an already shaky situation grows even more unstable. Barring a trade in the next 24-48 hours, Ron-Ron's last chance to salvage his relationships with Mike Bibby and coach Eric Musselman will come over the course of a five-game home stand that begins Saturday night.

An offer of a straight-up swap for Corey Maggette of the Los Angeles Clippers is on the table, but there are many, many other scenarios involving Maggette in play to keep the Artest deal just an option for now. But something is clearly going to give soon with Maggette, which is why he tops Insider's two months-into-the-season list of the 10 players most likely to be traded:

1. Corey Maggette, Clippers
    It's now been a full year since the Clips first tried to deal him to Indiana in a trade that fell through when Maggette couldn't pass the Pacers' physical, and he -- just like every other key player on the Clippers -- has had a precipitous drop in production this season while waiting for another deal to go down. The prevailing belief around the NBA is that Maggette will be gone from the Clippers within the next two weeks.

Possible destinations: Kings, Heat, Jazz, Spurs, Rockets

i didnt even know the rockets were in the running for him? if we can pull this trade off without giving up too much(not going to happen) i think this would be great for the rockets! He would provide us with that third scorer we really need right now. what do you guys think bout maggette?

2. DMaster

DMaster Member

I think he is going to be instinct offense. However, now we don't need him. I don't think we will make this trade. We have no need now. Everyone has stepped up on this team. When Wells and Snyder comes back, there is no room for Maggette.

3. Porsche576

Porsche576 Member

I think the rumor was Wells and Sura's expriing contract for him. Doubt it'll happen.

4. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

Hes been great coming off the bench but I wouldn't offer Bonzi and Sura contract.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he wants a starting spot. he won't get one here. it's nice to know that the team is allways trying to improve our roster, but i just doubt this will happen.

the clipps could get much better deals like artest or posey, and other teams would interest maggetty more than the rockets 6th man opportunity.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If all it takes is Bonzi and Sura's contract, the Rockets would/should do that in a heartbeat.

7. xishi

xishi Member

if we have to give up bonzi and sura i'd definitely do it.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can hope.The guy has gotten in bigtime shape and made an effort to step it up.
    Maggette has so much upside but can easily fill a major role on our team NOW.
    hits the J from downtown
    gets to the hoop
    slams the boards
    I know he turns the ball over at times and can get into foul trouble,but there aren't many guys who can take over an NBA game.
    CM can be so much more than an energy guy surviving on his athleticism.
    Worse case scenario,we'd have a hammer of a sixth man.(if he could live with this role on a title team)

#8 Plowman, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Can we throw in Rafer?

:D

DD

10. uchlha

uchlha Member

rafer sura for maggete :) :p

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he may not be good for us, but until we get a starting calibur PG we can't afford to give him away!

aww what the hell am i thinking, just play billy!!!! ;)

12. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

if we trade for him, this would be one helluva log jam @ the SG/SF spot.

tmac, bonzi, snyder, head, and maggette? who gets minutes? and where?

maybe if we play tmac @ PF, but that will probably never happen.

we need a big guy. i say we address future backup for yao. though deke is playing GREAT right now...

13. uchlha

uchlha Member

tmac goes to pg of course x.x

14. steefrancis

steefrancis Member

man i would do that trade in a heart beat!
    PG rafer/tmac/jl III
    SG tmac/head/maggette
    SF magette/tmac/novak
    PF battier/ howard/hayes
    C Yao

that is one nice starting lineup IMO. wells is going to leave next year and sura is done. if we could do this i think the rocks would have done it already. look at the different lineups we could put out on the court and matchup with the mavs and suns of the league and still give the spurs fits!

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'd take Maggette or Mo Pete either one. I think they both fit. If we can turn Sura and Wells into a player I think we have to do it, even if it costs us a pick. That would leave us with our MLE to add to the team next year along with the lower exception. We would need to add a backup big to replace Deke if he retires and we should be set for the long term.

16. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

any way of getting Artest?

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Sometimes you have to take what's out there. You'd be hard-pressed to find many solid starting centers in the NBA right now, much less back-ups.

Corey Maggette may be slightly overpaid, but he has been incredibly consistent over his career. When given minutes, he can produce 20 pts, 5 rebounds and 2 assists per game, shooting at a 44% clip, and getting to the foul line.

If you can get that, especially for just Bonzi and Sura (heck, even throw in a draft pick), you jump on it.

Even if he continues to come off the bench, and complains about it, he is still productive (as he is being in LA).

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

If he accepts a 6th man role...wow, Wells and Sura would be incredible. Basically we get an extension on Wells, cause he's obviously out after this year (either he never gets off the pine and hates us for it, or he shows his value and gets more elsewhere)

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Rafer and Bonzi for Magette :cool:

20. stq

stq Member

not going to happen, since we are already loaded on the SF/SG position.