1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hitchcock vs. Kubrick

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Aug 31, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

God, I'm bored!! How much longer before the season starts?

Anyway, 2 of my favorite movie directors of all-time are Alfred Hitchcock and Stanley Kubrick. Both had long careers that spanned around 50 years and both were pretty much shunned when it came to winning Oscars. Hitchcock did over 50 movies while Kubrick did only 13. Kubrick's films, though, for the most part were always a classic while Hitchcock's later films flopped at the box office. Here's the question: who is the greater director--Alfred Hitchcock or Stanley Kubrick?

2. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hitchcock, without a doubt. The man was in control of every single aspect of his films and a master of efficiency and artistry. Don't forget that Kubrick's last film Eyes Wide Shut was a flop as well. Proportionately, that's about equal to the 3-4 flops that Hitchcock made.

Fortunately, my saying I think Hitchcock is the greater director doesn't mean I can't watch and enjoy Kubrick's films. Kubrick is great, his movies are for the most part masterpieces, but you really can't compare anyone to Hitchcock.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I agree. The thing about Kubrick is that all his films deal with the dehumanizing of man while Hitchcock's films were always about suspense. It's funny that people think Hitchcock's films were all horror films or always ended with a "neat little twist". The reason for this perception, IMO, is Psycho and The Birds as well as his TV series. Only Vertigo ended with the "neat little twist". My top 10 Hitchcock films:

1) North by Northwest - never can get tired of this one, Cary Grant is great!
    2) Vertigo - Stewart and Novak give unforgettable performances
    3) Rear Window - a great taut thriller all the way
    4) Psycho - the first great modern horror film
    5) Strangers on a Train - great plot and great performance by the villain, Robert Walker
    6) Marnie - Hitchcock's most underrated film of all-time featuring outstanding performances by Tippi Hedren and Sean Connery.
    7) Notorious - great movie with 2 great stars -- Grant & Bergman
    8) The Birds - revolutionary movie for its time
    9) Shadow of a Doubt - the director's all-time favorite, features outstanding performances from Joseph Cotten & Teresa Wright.
    10) The 39 Steps - old but still holds up well after all these years.

My top 5 Kubrick films (since he only did a total of 13):

1) A Clockwork Orange - a very disturbing film to say the least. It will draw you in and never let you go.
    2) The Shining - Watching this movie still disturbs me from time to time. Nicholson is a master and Kubrick really builds the tension here.
    3) Full Metal Jacket - The first 45 minutes is some of the best stuff that you'll ever see in a movie. The last hour and 15 minutes is not as bad as people would lead you to believe.
    4) 2001 - weird, haunting, and beautiful.
    5) Lolita - underrated movie that features great performances by James Mason and Peter Sellers.

Honorable mention for Kubrick films include Dr. Strangelove (I just never could get into it), Barry Lyndon (a surprisingly good movie), Spartacus (have never seen it), and Paths of Glory (also have never seen it).