1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where's the best place to get a PS2?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets R' Us, Aug 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Hey, my parents have finally succumbed to my demands for a PS2. I convinced them it was a good investment since it was a DVD player, PS1, Cd player, and PS2 in one. ANyways, were gonna get one in the next 2-4 months. I was wondering where was the cheapest I can get it online or in stores and is there any good deals or anything that I should know about. Also, should I wait til X-Mas?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They are usually around the same amount everywhere ($300.00).

I would suggest waiting until the XBOX and Ncube (or whatever Nintendo's is called) comes out. The price may go down.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

NO!

It will count towards your X-MAS present quota. Better to get it now than have it treated as a x-mas present. Take it from the defense industry: Get your toys as soon as there is a budget appropriation passed! Don't wait for the next budget, or something will get squeezed out of it.

sheesh, don't kids nowadays learn anything about maximizing their toy quota. Isn't government taught in schools, because we can't expect parents to explain toy economics to kids.

4. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Thats what your here for crispee......

5. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Genius in our midsts...

I've really never thought of it that way...

Probably because my parents would remember buying me something and try and count it as a birthday/Christmas/Easter/etc... present.

6. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

The PS2 seems to be price fixed at 300.00. Wal-Mart may have it two dollars cheaper but don't quote me. I got my PS2 at Sears when they were a little tough to get.
    You may want to consider getting the PS2/ GT3 bundle. I can't quote a specific price but is much cheaper than getting them separate and you have a great game to start with. Just a couple of thoughts.....

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The GT3/PS2 combo is $330.

I would suggest waiting til mid-November to buy one. It could be down to $250 to compete with the XBox and the Gamecube.

8. Gascon

Gascon Member

I got mine at half.com. That is where I find all of the best deals on electronics. I sound like an advertisement, but it's true. :)

9. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I've heard that the PS2 DVD player doesnt play great from some people and it plays great from some others....any thought? Also, does someone know anyone who can get me deals? coupons? cheap offers? savings? discounts? ...........?

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

It plays dvd's just fine. But, when I play Madden or NCAA, the background is blurry. I've had it exchanged already, and they both do the same thing. The clerk at Best Buy told me that they produced the second batch of PS2's in such a hurry that there may be something wrong with their laser or something like that.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yeah, what I've heard is that the 1st gen ps2s didn't play dvds all that great, and the background is blurry on games in the 2nd gen ps2s. Whether that is actually true or not, I wouldn't know. :)

back to playing grandia 2.

12. j-bone

j-bone Member

I went to Game Zone today to buy one and the salesman suggested that I wait until the XBOX comes out, around Oct. 18 or so, and the PS2 will go down to $219.00. Thought I should pass this on.

13. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

The one thing you should now is that it is best to hookup a PS2 directly to a TV with A/V outputs to get the best quality viewing. If you hook it up to a VCR like you would do with the original PS, the picture wont look good, the color fades in and out etc.... The reason for this is copyright protection. Movie studios are afraid people make bootlegs of DVDs to video by doing this. Just wanna mention this because I went to Electronic Botique yesterday and some other customer was complaning about the same problem. As for getting one, I would wait till about XBox to come out. The first one dropped about a year after it came out. I, myself, wants one, but just recently bought a Dreamcast to entertain myself until the PS2 price drops.
    Just dropping in my two cents! :D