1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone know a BBQ Caterer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Aug 30, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm looking for a person/restaurant with a pit on a trailer for a party. If I can't find one, I already have a restaurant picked out. I don't need any restaurant recommendations, thx.

I've seen the trailer guys at sports bars before and outside clubs, but for some reason I can't track them down this football season so far. This would be for a Friday early evening bbq, for roughly 50-75 people.

The ideal candidate is an amateur who just loves to bbq, and likes to make some spare change on weekends doing his/her hobby.

My dream is Behad or Pole, but Behad can't do it for shift reasons....*sigh*

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Would he need references and/or present a demo?

Mango

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Hey Crispee,

I don't know any amateurs, but one place that I highly recommend is:

Hickory Barn B-B-Q
    11534 South Wilcrest

281-530-9382

They cater & have really good brisket, ribs, chicken, sausage, etc....

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Pole, what do you think of Kevin's pit?

BTW crispee, there's a great bbq caterer down at the mouth of Little Cottonwood.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Otto's on Memorial or Brown Sugar's on Greens Rd.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Weatherly's is good, but I don't know their number.

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

8. heypartner

All the restaurant's will cater. I'm looking for an independent trailer guy or hobbyist. Ideally, I pick the brisket and give it to the cook. That's why I want an enthusiastic amateur.

The best barbabue is determined by the best meat and how quickly you eat it off the pit. I don't think anything comes close to the brisket at Whole Foods meat dept. That is a whole nother league of beef. The experts say that when selecting a brisket to smoke, find a limber one. As it lies in your hand, it should bend and drap somewhat. The Whole Foods brisket can actaully be rolled. Nother comes close to that.

I've smoked the brisket about 5 times so far. It is magic. Restaurants can't compete, because the meat gives me an unfair advantage, and eating immediately always wins out. So far though, I can only do 2 at a time. More changes the heat flow of my smoker, and I can't figure it out, yet. Plus, I can't cook and go to a bachelor party the night before.

My dream is to buy this expensive brisket. Restaurant caterers are going to use their own.

Mango, yeah it would be cool if I could have a bite.

#8 heypartner, Aug 30, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2001
  9. cson

cson Contributing Member

10. red

red Contributing Member

cson beat me to it...i cant wait to fly back to austin just for saltlick...im thinking about ordering some bbq sauce to be sent to me in seattle...ahhhhhhh saltlick.......

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Doreck and Sons Meat Market, Hwy. 646 in Santa Fe. Whole Foods has NOTHING on the Doreck family!

I'm still invited, right?

12. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

You can't compete with clean, hormone/antibiotic free beef.

13. heypartner

Hey, how much do they charge you for that. Can you get me, say, 5-7 ten pounders of brisket at employee prices?

preeeese.

I gave you that picture of small people with mullets playing basketball didn't I.

14. Jumanji

Jumanji Member

Another food post....now I'm hungry.

Charlies BarBQ on Bissonett near 610 (west side)

Ask for Stathy.

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Drexler's BBQ!

16. Fatty FatBastard

Hey Crisp;

I've got an idea. Pay someone that you know and trust to do the briskets for you.

You can buy an adequate smoker at Academy for $20-30 bucks.

(TRUST ME! You do not need a great smoker to make a great brisket. Just need someone to love and caress it along the way and it will be fantastic!)

BTW, I've got a $100 smoker that you can borrow free of charge! Just come pick it up, and return it when you are through.

(Hell, for the right amount of money, I'll smoke them all for you. I put my own personal touch to them, and I can tell you. You have not had a good brisket if it doesn't fall apart when you slice it!)

I use a Tennessee recipe, along with a homemade barbeque sauce.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

(I'm such a fat b*stard~)

Anyway, hope that helps!